Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Kydex/Leather/Paracord Working

Discussion in 'Tools and Garage' started by willindsay, April 9, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. willindsay

willindsay Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 Limited
    I've been researching a lot on IWB holsters for my CCW gun and I've come to the conclusion that for what I'd spend on one nice one I can buy all the supplies to make several Leather/Kydex hybrid holsters.

So over the past weekend I finished building a vacuum box and a frame to hold the Kydex and I've been looking at places to order the needed supplies.

But before I ordered or got started on this project I figured I come to my go to people on this forum and see if anyone here has any advice.

Also if you have worked with Kydex or Leather I'd love to see some of the stuff you've created with it.

Also figured I'd throw in Paracord projects as that seems to fall under the same category and I've also seen several things I'd like to try with it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    North of Edmonton
    '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
    What do you have for a CCW? Bit of a PITA to wear IWB no?

4. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    I've got a SCCY CPX2.

I've never carried so IDK if it'll be a pain but IWB is the best to conceal it. TN does have open carry but I'd rather conceal so IWB seems like the best way to do it.

5. MustangP51

MustangP51 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Connecticut
    2009 Limited V8
    I had to make a few leather holsters for some older pistols that I couldn't find holsters for. I was never happy with them for IWB but worked well for open carry (in the woods). I found a de-santis IWB holster for my primary carry which I am extremely happy with.

Kydex is great material for a holster, I stayed away from it because it can wear off the finish of the pistol with repeated presentation and holstering of the weapon but everyone I know that has them loves them. The only thing I would say to look out for when forming the Kydex is to attach some kind of material to the top of the slide to make a tunnel, if you will, for the front sight. If you don't the Kydex will form around the front sight and lock it in.

6. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    North of Edmonton
    Ah, sorry in my circle a CCW is a Conducted Current Weapon (taser).

I agree that it is the best way to conceal though.

7. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    Ya theres no way I'm gonna carry a taser in my waistband.

8. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    Well here's one of my first paracord projects.

Took a cheap knife with crappy plastic handles and removed them and wrapped it with cord for a better grip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gonna trim up the sheath with the Dremel this weekend so it fit's me better and I might add a diff clip later so I can carry it IWB while I'm working with a tucked in shirt.

9. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    Bumpin this with a pick of some more Paracord projects I've been working on this week.
    Guessin I'm the only one here with an interest but I'm gonna keep postin maybe they'll inspire someone out there to give it a shot.

[​IMG]
    I used some cord to make belt loops on the sheath for the straight knife and also wrapped the flashlight I always carry so it's a uniform size and fits my hand better. Not real sure if I like the wrapping on my pocket knife but we'll see. I use it alot at work around water so long as it doesn't hole water I'll probably leave it.

10. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    Well while I've been saving up some extra cash to buy some kydex and also waiting on kydex to solve and issue I've been reading about on other forums I've made a press and finished up my vacuum box.

All together I've got about 10$ in the box and press. I made most of it from some scrap wood I had leftover from a pallet of furniture my dad got for 10$(made about 3 BIG cabinets out of it and still have a bed to put together.)

Here's the press
    [​IMG]
    I salvaged the car scissor jack from my GF last car and just bolted it up with some bots from other projects. Used and I bolt I had laying around as the handle for the jack so I can chuck it in my drill to raise and lower it.
    Only took about an hour to build while instructing my GF on how to build a bookshelf from scratch. She decided it needed to match her bookshelf so she painted the top brace pink.

I'll be out of school in a couple days and back to workin full time so I should have some money to spare to buy the rest of the needed supplies and get started forming things.

11. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  12. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    North of Edmonton
    I'd love to see your design for the vacuum box.

13. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    I'll try to get a picture sometime this week. But it's very simple just a 10in square box 4in deep I think. With a 1/2in grid that I drilled holes on at every intersecting line and a hole cut with a hole saw in one side to fit my shop vac.

14. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    North of Edmonton
    Huh, never thought of using a shopvac. Good idea.

15. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
  16. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    I saw it one a youtube video. Not sure If I'll actually use it for more than one holster as it requires a whole 12x12in sheet of kydex so there's a lot of waste.

17. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    Ok I'm back to working on getting my stuff ready for Kydex. Today I rebuilt my press as the original design didn't use strong enough wood. I also got my foam cut and ready to press with. Only thing left is to order up some Kydex and get to work.

Here's the finished press.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Wood1 here's the vacuum box. Sry it's taken me over a month to get these up I've been busy with Exams and work plus I spent a week in TX But here they are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've pretty much decided that I won't be using it at all as the press will do the same thing and probably give better definition plus it is easier to set up.

Hopefully within the next 2 weeks I'll have some pics of it in use and some finished projects to show. Just gotta have the cash and a good chunk of this next pay check is gonna go to the state for my CCW because without it there's no point to making these holsters.

18. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    Alright I finally got some cash to buy the supplies I needed to get started and I made my first holster.

Here's a couple pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm really happy with it for my first try at making one. This one is set up for IWB Appendix carry I wore it a little today and it's fairly comfortable. I'm not real happy with the clip as it's a little flimsy I think my next order I'll get a sheet of the thicker Kydex to make clips out of.

I'm probably gonna work on another holster tomorrow and I'll try to take step by step pics for anyone interested.

19. willindsay

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    I turned the holster in the above post into a car holster and made another one to carry with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
    nice work, i seen on youtube u can use PVC and a heat gun to make your own geto knife sheaths and gun holsters