Largest Tires Without Lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hughboyd

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
What's the biggest tires you can fit on an ex without having to get a lift? I've heard 265's fit without rub but what do y'all think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the biggest tires you can fit on an ex without having to get a lift? I've heard 265's fit without rub but what do y'all think?

I was just wondering the same thing. I want bigger (taller and wider) tires, but the wife doesn't like the lifted look. Plus, we'd like to keep the Explorer low enough to park in our garage.

I'd be willing to go with aftermarket control arms, rims, etc. if needed.

Any advice?

- Wes

I was able to fit 265/75/16 on mine before the lift but they were seriusly close to rubbing, like if I hit a pebble on the road I was going to grind, another thing to think about is the amount of wheelwell you want to show, thats all part of the stance as well and 265/75/16 basicly fills the intire wheelwell. I went with a 3 inch body lift and still have minor rubbing at full lock, but that is prolly from my rims (16x8 with 4.45 back spacing, 0 offset)
now about the garage, explorers are on ranger frames, which means it sits as low as a 4x4 ranger (that is if your ex is not 2x4), I have noticed that with my 3 inch lift and 265/75/16 (roughly 31 and a half or so) I sit no higher then any stock 4x4 f150 or silverado. I know someone with a silverado with a 3 inch body lift and 33's and they are definatly taller then me. I dont think you will have any clearence issues with the garage.

that being said, 255/75 or like 265/50 or something along those lines would prolly work better but dont quote me on that considering I dont really know jack about tire sizes (are these even real sizes??? i dunno)
the bottom line, on stock rims you can fit 265/75/16 but it may require some modification of the wheelwell (cutting and trimming).

hoped that helped. and the 3rd gens really do look good with a 3 inch lift, plus you can not see the body to frame spacers at all (all of your bumpers rise up, and theres like a spashgaurd that covers the gap you created on the sides.) shoot over to my registry if you want to see what the lift looks like. really makes it a lot more agressive and looks more like a truck.

edit: if you dont plan to lift you dont really need to worry about control arms and what not IMO, stress on controll arms is something your going to run into lifting the suspension with strut spacers or longer struts (btf spacer lift, rancho quicklift, truxxx). from my reading your prolly less likeley to rub on stock rims, but if your getting new tires, might as well get some fancy rims lol. the 265/75 is recomended for an 8 inch rim anyways. (stock is 7? maybe?)

32", stock height. No problem. No lift needed.

265/75R16 BFG A/T's, stock suspension.
Nolift2.jpg

265/75R16 Dick Cepek Mud Country's, again with stock suspension.
HPIM1777.jpg

Hope that helps ya bro. Let us know what you end up getting.

i pulled this from cozmik off a different thread here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285705

hope that helps a little more

I run 265/70/17's stock height with no rub!
IMAG0140_zpsc20df9fe.jpg

how tall is that exactly? just wondering, its not like I have the issue anymore with with my 265/75 after the lift and all lol. (maybe someone else could use it tho) I know my good year wrangler athority's are 31.574 x 10.832

Thanks for all the replies. From what I've searched 265/70R17 seems to be the popular choice for 17s. I've noticed a lot of All Terrains. Anyone having trouble running Mud Terrains at that size?

Thanks for all the replies. From what I've searched 265/70R17 seems to be the popular choice for 17s. I've noticed a lot of All Terrains. Anyone having trouble running Mud Terrains at that size?

thats what were all here for broski. id say the 265/70 is a great choise to go with. dont know about the m/t but my a/t work great in the mud havent gotten stuck in 2x4 yet at all.

Thanks guys, I was thinking about getting some 265/75/16 Destination M/T's or 70/16's maybe, let me know what you think.

Thanks guys, I was thinking about getting some 265/75/16 Destination M/T's or 70/16's maybe, let me know what you think.

look up what width and hight cozmic's and aluminum's tires are in inches, then compare that to what you want to get, if they are bigger or the same as what you want to put on your gold, if yours are much bigger you may have minorr rubbing.

look up what width and hight cozmic's and aluminum's tires are in inches, then compare that to what you want to get, if they are bigger or the same as what you want to put on your gold, if yours are much bigger you may have minorr rubbing.

Mone Are 31" Tall 9" Wide

Ive ran 33's stock with little rub but i have 1 1/4 wheels spacers in the front to solve that but im back to a 2 1/4 lift in the front now but they will work stock. Dont listen to some of these guys they have never done it!

Anyone ran 235/85/16's on their stock rims?

I run 265/70/17's stock height with no rub!
IMAG0140_zpsc20df9fe.jpg

How close to your front suspension did those come before you lifted it? Looking at putting 245/70/17 on a stock 05 but am worried about rubbing against the suspension on the inside as i only have about an inch(or less) of room with 245/65/17 on it now before the top of the tire hits.

How close to your front suspension did those come before you lifted it? Looking at putting 245/70/17 on a stock 05 but am worried about rubbing against the suspension on the inside as i only have about an inch(or less) of room with 245/65/17 on it now before the top of the tire hits.
I have 265/70/16s BFG all terrains on my stock 05 with stock rims

I have 265/70/16s BFG all terrains on my stock 05 with stock rims

I have the same size on my 04 in Toyo AT2 have some bfg ko2 in 265/75 16 going on this weekend

I’ll throw a pic up for the op after I get them mounted

There will be some variance based on your springs, and the tires themselves. Different 265/65/16s will have different dimensions. If you want larger tires, I’d go with a coil spacer lift. The change in height won’t really be noticeable. It’d be more noticeable stuffing tires that barely fit on, and I’m sure the wife would like the tires rubbing when street driving much less than an inch or two of loft.

Also, the third gen is NOT on a ranger frame, 4x4 or not.

I'm about to be throwing a set of Nitto 265/70 R17's on mine 2006 Explorer. If you still haven't swapped to a larger tire I can let you know how they worked out at the stock height. Im going to throw a Traxda 102010 leveling kit on soon anyway.

Hey guys, I know this is old but I would really appreciate the help. I have a 99 Explorer XLT 2wd and would like to know what size rims and tires could I run without rubbing and no lift. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rim diameter is irrelevant. 31 is about the biggest you’ll reliably run stock without issues. Some will rub with 31s. Width will depend on how far past the fender wells you want to stick out. You’d be better off telling us what size you are looking to run, and then someone can tell you if it’s fit, and what backspace you might need.

Back