Last month of production for the ol' ranger.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Last month of production for the ol' ranger....

thats sad news. i owned a ranger, well actually it was a mazda B, and even though it was a tiny truck, i think that was the appeal of it. that thing was so simple, so reliable, you could beat the hell out of it, and the more you did, the better it looked! not to mention its the basis of so many ford greats. not to hate on the 2011 owners but i was a little dissappointed in the new explorers when i checked them out last november. even though it had more seats and more luxuries, it felt cramped and confining. more like a car instead of a truck. its a good thing ford made so many rangers and explorers, we can just buy them used!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you ar reading this Ford is no longer making Rangers. They decided to kill the Ranger years ago. The last update was in 1998, and they still continued to sell. I read an article yesterday on Yahoo that said that Ford sold more Rangers in 2011 than Mustangs?

The Ranger just was not epensive enough. The profit margin on the F series was much better. That is why they made the decision. But a F 150 does not suit my needs or desire.

I have owned Rangers since 1998. They are the right vehicle for ny needs. I would not even consider buying a F 150, except a Raptor. So my next vehicle purchase will likely be a nissan or toyato, excuse me I had to swallow a little throw up.

I hope Ford is listening, but I am sure they are not, I have bought 6 new Fords over the last 20 or so years. I believe that I have bought my last new Ford. I have to congragulate Ford's management, good job.

I'm disappointed, too. Someday, my 1992 Explorer will reach the end of its life and I was considering a Ranger as a replacement and alternative to the new Explorer. (I need cargo capacity, not 3 rows of seats). Plus, the Ranger had a real 4WD system with 2-speed transfer case, not a FWD/AWD system which I'm sure will either bog down or break in more than 4 inches of snow.

What to do now, except try to keep the Ex running forever?

My nephew lives in Colorado and he is frustrated, too. He drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it's old and getting expensive to maintain. He would love something like a Bronco or Bronco II, but all of the new SUVs these days are "girly shaped" crossovers!

Bob

He would love something like a Bronco or Bronco II, but all of the new SUVs these days are "girly shaped" crossovers!

Bob

:thumbsup:

I think my next truck will be a 1979 red F 250 with the hubs rusted in the locked position.
Especially it it's got the solid front axle Dana 44 High Pinion, 1/2" wall axle tubes.

Sorry for posting this here and in the Ranger forum but I didn't see this thread when I did a search. Anyway, I know this has been discussed a couple of times but I was wondering how much interest there is in the T6 Ranger that Ford's head of product planning, Derrick Kuzak, has decided that we cannot buy.

My current truck is a 2007 Sport Trac 4x4 V8. While I really like the ST it is already five years old and in about two years it will have enough miles on it that I will have to replace it. The T6 Ranger Wildtrak is a very similar sized vehicle aimed at what appears to be a very similar market, just not in the US. And that is what I don't understand. Yeah, I've read all the BS about it being 90% the size of the F-150 and that there is no longer a market for small/midsize trucks in the US. All I know is that if the T6 were available here I would have bought one already.
I have owned Ford trucks all my life, everything from Rangers, F-150s and even an F-250. The Sport Trac is the perfect size for my needs but they killed it. They left the Ranger rot on the vine until no one in their right mind would buy a new one that looks and drives pretty much like they did in 1993. If you were trying to kill a market you would be hard pressed to do a better job than Ford has. In the meantime, they sell 500 different varieties of CUV/SUVs that overlap each other five ways from Sunday. You could say the same thing about all of their car lines. The Fusion is 90% the size of a Taurus, the Focus is 90% the size of a Fusion, etc., etc., etc.
I have a good job. No, make that a great job. I don't have a car payment and I have two homes that are both paid for. I could afford a new truck and a new car but because Mr Kuzak thinks I should be driving a HUGE F-150 or God forbid a Transit Connect I refuse to buy anything from those a-holes. If you haven't figured it out yet I am po'd. :thumbdwn:

Back