Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has done a later model SOHC swap into a 1st Gen Explorer?
Reason I ask is I have a 2006 Mustang that I will be putting a Coyote in, which means that the computer will change as well as the motor and trans so I will have a complete running computer and drivetrain from that car. I know they are way different but if everything from the Mustang was swapped over would it run ok? Just wondering if it was relatively simple swap or complete nightmare.

Thanks

If you swapped all the electronics over and used the entire drivetrain it would work. The sohc will bolt in the ohv mounts but the oil pan will hit the crossmember where the balance shaft would be.

I'd think with creativity and a tig welder you could get it to fit or you have to raise the engine like 1.5". You could delete the factory girdle and run the ohv oil pan to make it fit but I'm not sure I'd do it to a truck I drive (I like the skinny pedal).

The trans mount would be minor considered to the wiring and oil pan fitment.

Thanks for the info. I have a TIG welder and could make adjustments to oil pan as necessary. The wiring part to me would prob be the hardest part.
To be honest I don’t even know if it would be legal in my state, I’m OBD-I now which means emissions exempt. I could hide the OBD-II plug but they do pop the hood and the inspection stations now have cameras so I would think that might set off a red flag when there’s a 2006 4.0 sitting in there.

As long as you have a converter on it you'll be fine with inspections.

Back