Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

I don't think anyone knows beyond what's already written here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I called my dealer today to have this done on the Wife's 02 EB, it does the stupid idle hesitation sometimes so I'm hoping this cures that. I'm getting it done the same time I'm plunking down the $275 to get the rear applique done....

ok, i got it done and it cost my dealership 184 bucks. it did NOT correct my tranny issues but did correct my idling roughness, but it does seem to be less ballsy now in terms of pedal response.

my tranny issue as some solenoid valve connected to some ball it controls and when it warms up it would cause erratic tranny shifting. now my expy is actually nice to drive. i went and got myself another crown vic and tossed the expy to the woman so i dont get to drive it anymore.

I got mine done. I would say there is a 'slight' improvement in idle, and a 'slight' improvement in throttle. Cost me $82 for both engine and tranny at the dealer. I would say I 'think' there is a 'slight' difference in tranny in that it seems to know better when to shift but did not correct my recent tranny issues (which are probably a sticking something or other). I would say it was worth the $82 to me.

I just did mine today. Cost $108 in Lynbrook, NY.
the thing is they did not tell me the upgrade code/number, but they told me it was 5 or 6 updates for engine mgmt and the tranny.
So far I've noticed little difference in shifting (up shifting), also shifting into reverse seems to be a little quicker. :thumbsup:

Hey - sorry. I was floating through and thought I'd check in. I do not have any further information on this. I've never seen an actual breakdown of a flash, I am betting a tuner site could address it. I'd like to see what the differences truly are, and it'd be interesting to see if there was a way to verify the flash that's currently in the controller.

-Shawn

i noticed my code is 1U7A-12A650-CBC wonder if the tech wrote it wrong?

FYI:
Ford Flash verison numbers:
With Ford vehicles, a somewhat different approach is used. First, you need the vehicle calibration ID number. This can be found on a sticker somewhere in the engine compartment. Next, you have to figure out if there is a newer calibration available. This requires going to the www.motorcraftservice.com website, selecting "quick guides" on the left side of the screen, selecting "latest calibration information" and then downloading a 205 page Excel spreadsheet file to your computer. The file lists all the calibration ID's for 1994 to 2006 Ford. After searching the list for the vehicles calibration ID, you then look for any newer calibration IDs.

The flash version number for my 2002 4.6L Exp was on a bar-code sticker on the body near the passenger-door hinge.

Are the parameters stored on an EPROM or EEPROM chip?

Had my 05 updated today for $95.94 including tax. Idle is much improved and seems the shifting is improved. I have not driven enough to see if average mileage has improved or not. I reset the MPG when I left the dealer today, drove 18 miles home mostly open highway with hills and it got 17.4 mpg, normally it would be 16.2. Not sure if it was the update or maybe just the way i was driving, but it does seem to run better and shift when it should. Ill let you know if the mileage increases.

Its an old thread, but has anyone had any adverse affects from this upgrade? I wouldn't say mine idles rough, but theres a burp here and there.

I had my 2002 XLT 4.6L 5R55W software updated to the 1U7A-BPB version when I had it in for the cruise-control anti-burn-down-ur-house fix.... $90.00. Didn't notice much difference; am currently experiencing a little shudder going in to OD @ 45-50 mph; but it was doing that before the upgrade, too. I'm at 150Kmiles now; I'm thinking of replacing the solenoid pack, but it's just not bad enough to get me going after it.

I stopped at the dealership today to ask them about this upgrade and they asked me to come back with the flash numbers so they could look into it and see what exactly it addresses. I also asked about reflashing back to the old version if it adversely affected the truck and the service manager said it should be able to be reflashed if there is a problem, they've had to do it before.

I just went to the ford dealer I had to make an appointment and it was 115 bucks for the flash they just charge for an hour of labor i gave him the upgrade #'s that was on here which was 1U7A-12A650-GMB and he tells me its a part # so I looked like an idiot right there but he took it in and guaranteed there wasn't going to be update but there was and it solved some idle roughness and the shifting seems a lot smoother

I have a 2005 Explorer XLS. I just replaced the throttle body but it still goes into fail safe mode. I am trying to find the ID # ford the pcm so I know which one to buy. If anyone knows what it is or where to find it I would greatly aprreciate the help.

swoff,

go read through my thread on that topic. it has more information there and will tell you all you need to do. Don't let the dealer rip you....

Shawn

Had my 05 updated today for $95.94 including tax. Idle is much improved and seems the shifting is improved. I have not driven enough to see if average mileage has improved or not. I reset the MPG when I left the dealer today, drove 18 miles home mostly open highway with hills and it got 17.4 mpg, normally it would be 16.2. Not sure if it was the update or maybe just the way i was driving, but it does seem to run better and shift when it should. Ill let you know if the mileage increases.
I have gone over 3,000 miles and have not noticed much improvement in MPG, it does run better and doesn't idle rough, so i guess thats an improvement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the parameters stored on an EPROM or EEPROM chip?

Rick, I know what you are asking, but I don't know the answer for sure. I am betting electronically erasable, you don't need UV and a chip burner. You use a variety of so-called 'passthru devices' and applicable software via the obd II port to reflash the map.

I have pictures of the one I took apart somewhere, or you could research "Spanish Oak" on the intarwebs.

Shawn

Back