• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Spring bushing issues

Lefy

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
Ok I took the rear leaf spring out of my truck. because the bushings were shot squeaking and one of the springs had twisted
I sent them down to this local spring shop.
to rebuild the pack remove the bushings, and install new friction pads, and clamps. and paint them for 80 bucks.

I was going to install polybushings myself when I got them back.
So I get them back and go to put the springs back in the truck today....
here is where the problem hits.

three of the bushings fit the spring eyes but one.. the larger front spring eye is too large.
the bushing is way too small for the spring eye?? wtf?
is there supposed to be a size difference in the spring eyes?
I didn't think there was.
The spring shop says there may have been a sleave that was removed. when the pushed out the old bushings, or that my offroad had done the damage.
is this normal? or more likely did I somehow mangle the spring eye?

would it be safe to put the spring eye in a vise and bend it in till the bushing is tight. I may have to heat up the spring with a torch to get it to bend.
This is not something I want to do, but is it a safe option???

I understand that solution is probably ridiculous but it been a long day and its the only option I can think off :( help
oh yeah everything is closed till Tuesday and I have to drive to school Monday morning

I'll post photos in the morn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you said one of the springs was twisted before it went to the shop, I'd bet it opened up when it twisted. You can torch it back down tight, but make sure you don't heat it up too much. If you are careful and just heat the eye area, you should be ok. However, if you don't keep it round, you most likely will wear out bushings faster.

I can tell you this, I would NOT put heat to that spring without knowing exactly what you are doing. If the spring shop didn't recommend it to you, then I would pass on that option. Can you find another Explorer and see what theirs looks like?

when I say twisted I mean that the individual leaves had spun on the center bolt that ties them together? they only spun about .25in or so cause the spring clamps had broken

So it works correctly on one side, but not the other? Something is definitely messed up.

What bushing kit did you get? I had purchased an energy suspension kit for my leafs and the bushings for the front eyes were WAY too small, I think they changed eye size from first gen to 2nd gen.

Back