1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

leaf spring numbers - what do they mean?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by pehoffer, July 13, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. pehoffer

pehoffer New Member

City, State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    06 Explorer EB
    I bought new springs for my 99 explorer eddie bauer 4.0L a year ago and just got started installing them. They new springs are 1266lb capacity springs while stock are apparently 1100lb capacity.

I just removed the left spring and it sits about 1.5" higher unloaded than the new one. I haven't removed the right one yet to compare. But I noticed (for the first time) the numbers stamped on the old springs.
    Left = F87A PA OW8 273A, Right = F87A PA OW8 272C.
    What do those numbers mean? Are the springs different right and left?

The sticker on my door has spring code F which I have written down as being spring 5560. I bought the car about in 2005. Maybe the springs had been replaced before then?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.