Leak discovered - Could this be the dreaded radiator failure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leak discovered - Could this be the dreaded radiator failure?

Radio479

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EB Exp.
Hi all,

New to the forum after some lurking but I am not able to to find what I am looking for this time with searches. I know about the issues with the radiator in the 06 explorer. I have an 06 4.6L 8 cyl. It's new to me since last month. I bought it with an extended warr. through the Honday dealer I bought from. I am by no means a mechanical guy when it comes to cars so please deal with my ignorance.

I moved my car in the driveway this morning to do some work on it. I noticed under the engine that there was a greasy feeling liquid in a tiny pool below what I think is the cooling system. The vehicle ran for less than a second this morning. I looked in the spot I was in last night after my less than 10 minute ride home and noticed a spot a bit large. I ran the in place and the leak sped up when I looked underneath about 10 minutes later.

I have attached a photo of the affected area underneath and I am hoping someone can tell me what I am looking at based on this photo.

Thank you!

-7A56-42C3-BBF9-47644C1D9DAE-2876-00000369EEA63FF0.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you have an ac leak.

Well that is a bit reassuring thank you for the reply.

I am pretty clueless on the operation. Just for my own knowledge (not questioning you) can you explain how you come to that conclusion? Simply based on location or is it something else?

Also, the leak I should add is closer to the drivers side, if that changes anything.

Thank you.

I also just realized I posted this in the wrong sub-forum. Sorry about that.

06 coolant is premium gold.
That is green, which is also the color added to freon.

less you have the wrong coolant in the vehicle, that is ac oil / dye.

06 coolant is premium gold.
That is green, which is also the color added to freon.

less you have the wrong coolant in the vehicle, that is ac oil / dye.

Unfortunately, I think it actually is gold. I looked at the leak from below well it was still on the plastic and it does in fact look green.

I placed a clear container underneath to get a better sample and then held it over there open cover for the coolant and they do appear to be the same color.

However, the leak appears to be very slow in the last few hours there is only a small drop or two in the container.

When I still had my 2006 v6 I had my radiator replaced free of charge because it leaked. The dealer said it was covered under both a recall and my factory warranty. If you purchased and aftermarket warranty you might just be out your deductible. I would go have it checked out now. Don't wait until the radiator blows out and your stuck with a puddle of green antifreeze pouring down the driveway.

When I still had my 2006 v6 I had my radiator replaced free of charge because it leaked. The dealer said it was covered under both a recall and my factory warranty. If you purchased and aftermarket warranty you might just be out your deductible. I would go have it checked out now. Don't wait until the radiator blows out and your stuck with a puddle of green antifreeze pouring down the driveway.

Was it the 4.0? It seems like the ford bulletins relate to that only and not the V8 4.6 which is what I have.

I have to wait until Tuesday to get it in. My biggest issue is that I bought it from Honda and not ford, how stupid was that? My issue is the "down the road" when I am out of my 2 year extended and I am stuck. I can not really find a distinct recall and carfax said there was no issued recall. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to find a specific ford recall? I looked online and found nothing relating to the radiator.

Was it the 4.0? It seems like the ford bulletins relate to that only and not the V8 4.6 which is what I have.

I have to wait until Tuesday to get it in. My biggest issue is that I bought it from Honda and not ford, how stupid was that? My issue is the "down the road" when I am out of my 2 year extended and I am stuck. I can not really find a distinct recall and carfax said there was no issued recall. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to find a specific ford recall? I looked online and found nothing relating to the radiator.

Yes I had the radiator replaced on my 4.0 however I now have a 4.6l and was told they would do the same thing. It would be covered under your warranty if you still have one. As far as I know there is no recall (thank goodness) on the 4.6l .

Yes I had the radiator replaced on my 4.0 however I now have a 4.6l and was told they would do the same thing. It would be covered under your warranty if you still have one. As far as I know there is no recall (thank goodness) on the 4.6l .

Thanks, I can only hope that this is not going to be the issue and nightmare I am dreading.Hopefully the warranty I have will cover this, either way I have only had it for a few weeks from the Honda dealer so I don't think there will be an issue there. How has the 4.6 held up? So far so good I assume.

Thanks, I can only hope that this is not going to be the issue and nightmare I am dreading.Hopefully the warranty I have will cover this, either way I have only had it for a few weeks from the Honda dealer so I don't think there will be an issue there. How has the 4.6 held up? So far so good I assume.

Two things first off I bought mine used from a Honda dealer too!! lol Second I LOVE IT! The dealer should cover anything within the first 30 days so it shouldn't be a problem. When I bought mine I had a miss fire and basically the dealer I bought it from paid for all 8 coil packs, plugs, fuel, coolant and trans flush for free. I would call the dealer you purchased your expy from and talk to the sales person, sales manager, service manager and warranty dept if they have one. I wish you all the best of luck in your new toy as for any other issues nope (knock on wood) I love it!

How many miles are on yours I have 83k.

For TSB's and Wiring Diagrams only. NOT for recalls:

http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html

That's exactly what my radiator leak looked like. From those oval looking deals.

Back