Leaking A4LD tranny Question

FourXFred

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
My Auto tranny is leaking from somewhere around the bell housing. I cant find the leak anywhere. I got under there with my flashlight, and a bunch of rags. The fluid isnt coming from the bottom or sides of the gasket, it looks like it is comming from somewhere towards the center of the tranny (there is a space on the passenger side that you can see into a little bit, between the motor and bell-housing) It leaks real bad, and just started 2 or 3 days ago, very abruptly. Possibly after i went mudding the other day. Has anyone got any advice or ever had the same problem? Leaks like 1/4 of a quart a day. After it sits for like 45 minutes, it stops leaking. It happens after, and i imagine while, driving.
Thanks for info.

There is a front seal near thr torque converter I believe. I would recommend ya get it fixed, you won't crap the tranny if ya keep the levels up, but it could be a pain.

search will get you the answer

Trans has seal problems usually after a rebuild, but can be a sign the pump is headed out, do a search and you should find the info you need in multiple threads.

Good Luck

Back