Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Leaking A4LD tranny Question

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by FourXFred, September 25, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. FourXFred

FourXFred Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      02 EB
      My Auto tranny is leaking from somewhere around the bell housing. I cant find the leak anywhere. I got under there with my flashlight, and a bunch of rags. The fluid isnt coming from the bottom or sides of the gasket, it looks like it is comming from somewhere towards the center of the tranny (there is a space on the passenger side that you can see into a little bit, between the motor and bell-housing) It leaks real bad, and just started 2 or 3 days ago, very abruptly. Possibly after i went mudding the other day. Has anyone got any advice or ever had the same problem? Leaks like 1/4 of a quart a day. After it sits for like 45 minutes, it stops leaking. It happens after, and i imagine while, driving.
      Thanks for info.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Active Member

City, State:
      Phelps NY
      95 Sport
      There is a front seal near thr torque converter I believe. I would recommend ya get it fixed, you won't crap the tranny if ya keep the levels up, but it could be a pain.

4. SteveVB

SteveVB Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gaithersburg, Maryland
      04 Rubicon w/stuff
      search will get you the answer

Trans has seal problems usually after a rebuild, but can be a sign the pump is headed out, do a search and you should find the info you need in multiple threads.

Good Luck

5. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS