leaking coolant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

leaking coolant

wbdechiara

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 eddiebaurer explorer
I have a 02 eddiebauer explorer 4.6L and found a antifreeze leak and it is leaking above my transmission but cant see the source of the leak does anyone have a starting point for my to look for the leak?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heater core.

If the heater core is leaking it runs out a drain tube through the fire wall.

Access by removing the glove box.

The heater control valve will also drip in that area on the ground. (not always easy to see the leak)

Accessible under hood right by the a/c box.

I have a 2003 Explorer XLT with 123K miles and I have just discovered the same leak. Clean coolant is leaking from above the transmission and landing on the ground on the driver side of the car just behind the front wheel. In addition, my heater is making a "thump, thump, thump" sound when I turn the temp dial from cool to hot, which from other discussions indicates that the Blend Door Actuator is bad. Is it possible that these problems are related?

Not sure but I found my leak it was a dry rotted rubber cap on a the back of the intake manifold. If. That and no my heater runs like a champ

Just to followup, my leak was coming from a loose thermostat housing bolt, causing the coolant to leak onto the engine block, then traveling to the back of the engine undetected (under the intake manifold) and down the front of the transmission housing to the ground. Odd, but I hope this info helps save someone else some time.

As a side note, I replaced the heater blend door actuator part without having to remove the entire dash using the instructions here:
http://answers.edmunds.com/question...ise-I-adjust-temperature-cold-hot--67661.aspx

EDIT - redacted -

Made new thread - I think my reply was more of a new question...

Back