Leaking power steering fluid lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking power steering fluid lines

kware1

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Greetings

I've been leaking power steering fluid on my 4.6L V8. The leak appears to be coming from wherever the lines attach to the steering. Everything from the reservoir to the cooler is clean as well as the area around the pump. The leak is dripping down the middle of the frame, maybe a little more to the passenger side.

I guess what I need to know is that the pressure line coming from the pump and connecting somewhere to the rack? I cant see exactly what's there because there is a cross piece blocking the view. It looks.like it can be un-bolted. I want to make sure I purchase the right line before I start taking things apart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I find the parts diagrams at Fordpartsgiant can sometime be a good guide.

This one?

I think this will help. Thank-you

I think I found my answer. It looks like if I want replace the line the are two pieces to buy. Is this correct?

I had same problem with 02 Explorer and it turns out the line coming from the cooler to the steering rack is aluminum and it is held in place by a "C" shaped plate that is intergrated into the return line and bolted onto a stud coming out of the rack.
Unfortunately the "C" shaped plate is steel and does not play well with the aluminum line from cooler and over the last 10 years has caused the aluminum line to corrode and crack.
Went to the local Ford dealership hoping to buy a replacement line and you have to buy the cooler to get the line to the steering rack and this will cost you about ~$150. Thank you Ford!
Also, the aluminum line breaks just about flush with where it inserts into steering rack so getting it out was a PIA, ended up inserting a reverse thread bolt extracter very carefully and used that to pull broken tube out of rack.
Not a hard job to do and all the fluid drains from pump so have a quart of Mercon V around to refill after you install new line.

I had same problem with 02 Explorer and it turns out the line coming from the cooler to the steering rack is aluminum and it is held in place by a "C" shaped plate that is intergrated into the return line and bolted onto a stud coming out of the rack.
Unfortunately the "C" shaped plate is steel and does not play well with the aluminum line from cooler and over the last 10 years has caused the aluminum line to corrode and crack.
Went to the local Ford dealership hoping to buy a replacement line and you have to buy the cooler to get the line to the steering rack and this will cost you about ~$150. Thank you Ford!
Also, the aluminum line breaks just about flush with where it inserts into steering rack so getting it out was a PIA, ended up inserting a reverse thread bolt extracter very carefully and used that to pull broken tube out of rack.
Not a hard job to do and all the fluid drains from pump so have a quart of Mercon V around to refill after you install new line.

This just happened to me. I am not sure how to get that line out of the rack!

Any follow up on this job? My return line is leaking right up front from the passenger side frame rail. Return line for power steering is part # AL2Z3D746A. About $120. Want to know how hard / easy this and what the steps are. Thank you.

I should mention that mine is a 2006 4.6L V8.

Any update on this one? Has anybody tackled it? Looks like I need to do this job while doing an oil change as access to where the hose goes into the PS pump appears to be blocked by the engine oil filter.

All I did was take a pipe cutter and cut off the line where it was leaking double flared it and added a longer hose. I covered the hose in that PVC Wrap to stop it from rubbing.

Back