Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Leaky low side valve

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by 93TwotoneXLT, July 30, 2006.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. 93TwotoneXLT

93TwotoneXLT Active Member

City, State:
    Evansville, In
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 XLT4x4
    So, I went to charge my X, and when I took off the dust cap the service port starting hissing at me. I am assuming that the valve is leaking as I can feel air/charge coming out of it. I have no A/C experience other than hooking up a can of freon so my question is this: How do I replace the valve in the low side service port? I am converting from R-12 to R-134a and I do not want to put the adapter on until I can put the new valve in so that it won't leak. Thanks for any help! :)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. shamaal

shamaal Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    91 Mazda Navajo
    The A/C schrader works in principle like that for a tire, however they are larger. Check the A/C section of your automotive store for a kit with a new valve and a removal tool.
    To replace, the system will have to be empty. There is a $50 tool that can remove it from a pressurized system, but if you're converting to R134a the system will be open anyway.
    For general knowledge about the R12 to R134a conversion, check the stickies at the top of this forum.

If there's a particular aspect you do not understand ask questions.