• Register Today It's free!

leather scratch treatments

CDNexp

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited 2012
Hi. I have leather seats in black and i have issues with back of passanger seats. Kids always forget to fold the headrest first befor folding the second row seats and so it keeps hitting the back and you can see clearly the marks. Is there a treatment for this. They are not deep ones..
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get leather dyes from Fiebings, or kits from www.leatherworldtech.com.
I use both on my cars and our leather sofas where the dogs jump around on them. They work well, although scratches will remain, just hard to notice.

Scratches in the leather

I swear, the more careful I am the more crap that happens lol. I have some very light scratches on my front seats (black leather). Anyone have any suggestions? It just needs to be colored/dyed and would prefer something I can do myself.

Are they really scratches or just creasing? Creasing will happen even if using leather conditioner on the seats because the perforated leather is so damn thin.

On the front area of the seat, right where your leg is flat on the seat before your knee, I have some creasing there, the crease lines are so thin and the finish possibly is worn off so that it looks like scratches.
Creasing here is from normal use.
Leather conditioner applied to this area monthly doesnt seem to help.

There are many complaints here of the leather finish wearing off and the cushion not continuing to support the driver etc, and some have been replaced under warranty. Others were called wear n tear and not replaced with warranty.

On that note the 3rd row dont look like leather at all, its more a heavier vinyl look and feel, and when I was about to leave the lot with mine on day 1, the sales person was telling me how plasticky other cars are, and specifically said -
"oh yes the seating surfaces are all leather, any part that you sit on and your body touches is real leather".
...so go figure that out...
...after reading the how-2-ID leather page - http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Leather-Identification-s/1877.htm

So the seating surface is Code P?
& rest of the Ex seats, are vinyl?

See previous post on cracked leather seat-poster gives us this pic link for Ex where we can see clearly;
Post - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381724
Pic of front seat cracking;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caleb_keller/sets/72157649736443150/

I have applied leather conditioner to all the seats every 4 months or so, and the front and rear are a lot of seat - if they are leather all the way around, I would be surprised.

Just remember that the only other leather is the steering wheel and the shifter knob & boot. The doors are not and the middle console topper is not, but those items do look and feel the same as the rest of the seat sides and backs & the entire 3rd row,(forgive the texture differences.) but are just a nicer soft vinyl.

Yes these are definitely scratches. Although I have no idea what could have when scratched them. It sort of looks like its flaking on its own. Very thin line.

Back