Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

LED Headlight Conversions

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by cobra671, October 12, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Your thread was merged with this one. You may also wish to check anther one on a similar topic; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/headlight-led-upgrade.429160/
    Because LED bulbs are really bright, they are not recommended for reflector type housings. That is why you see halogens in them.

Peter

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. champco

champco Active Member

City, State:
    Minnesota
    2013 Explorer XLT
    I replaced the Halogens with LED 18 months ago and never regretted it foe one second. I have a 2013. New buld plugs right in and the dust cover snaps right back on. No Issues. The LED's I used have metal ribbons as heat sinks. There are more then one seller of this type. I have seen them priced from $40.00 to $100.00 Its a no brainer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DB Explorer

DB Explorer New Member

City, State:
    Boston, MA
    2015 Explorer XLT
    Hey everyone! Good morning. If this is the wrong place to post, I apologize.

I just purchased a 2015 Explorer XLT that is pretty loaded. And I am very happy with how it drives so far - coming from an older Grand Cherokee, the Explorer drives so smoothly and quietly!

One thing that I would really love to do is swap out the stock front lights with LED headlamps and fog lamps, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which are the best option. I'm not very skilled in terms of modifications so the more "plug and play" the better.

I'm confused with the headlights because I am not seeing LED bulbs that are hi/low beam... Are there such things!?

Again, if this is the wrong spot to post, I apologize. I look forward to learning from the more seasoned members and who knows...maybe someday I'll become a "seasoned" member myself!

5. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Good morning and Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    I've moved your thread here so that you can get some more info on the project.
    The bulb you have now is actually not a Hi/Lo one. The light intensity is controlled by a shutter that retracts when you chose high beam. On low beam the bulb is partially covered by the shutter. If you check out post #10 you will see a picture of a partial conversion but if you check the link supplied there and check the compatibility chart you will see that the LED bulb is shown as not being compatible with that vehicle. Many people seem to think that you can just simply stick any kind of bulb in any kind of housing whether it be a reflector or projector. This just is not so. While doing so will no doubt improve the amount of light produced, there is no way to get a perfect beam.
    The housings are specifically designed for the type of factory bulb that it was designed for. There is a reason that reflector types come with halogen and not LED. LED produces just too bright a light to be properly handled by a reflector resulting in light splash. Here is an interesting article on LED;
    http://www.archlighting.com/technology/leds-understanding-optical-performance_o

Also, as per the linked article below; "Headlight reflectors and lenses are designed for a bulb of a specific output, size and shape. Altering any one of those elements may result in a different beam pattern that could stun, blind and annoy other road users."
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/278125/headlights-explained-halogen-v-hid-v-led-v-laser/

There are other threads/posts on conversions and for fog light upgrades as well. The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that you should familiarize yourself with. It may take some practice but it is useful for finding existing thread on many discussed topic. Good luck.

Peter

6. jsgoofn

jsgoofn Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Beautiful Colorado
    2015 Ex Sport
    These articles are very enlightening (pardon the pun....) but it seems as though many forum members are pleased with results of their LED conversion. I ordered a kit from CarID.com just to see if what they advertise is true. I expect them to arrive today and will post results. I am leaning toward what you say that it will not work, but I guess I just want to see for myself.

7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    It will likely work but that doesn't mean it works correctly. It costs more $$ to do it the right way so that is why many go the less expensive 'plug and play' route.

8. jsgoofn

jsgoofn Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Beautiful Colorado
    2015 Ex Sport
    Makes sense...when you say to go the expensive route, I assume you mean a complete conversion of the whole assembly. Just for yucks, how much would that be? Also, would a plug & play HID yield similar results? There is an impressive set of HID conversion kits made by Morimoto (sp?) for $150 for both headlights. Are you familiar with them?

To tell you the truth, I am not sure why I even want to change a perfectly good system that is designed for my vehicle. I guess the cool factor enters the equation. But after I spend the money and I realize what I had was perfectly fine, I will just breathe a heavy sigh.....:banghead:

9. Fentress24

Fentress24 Active Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Glad you got them working, I hope you are enjoying them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DB Explorer

DB Explorer New Member

City, State:
    Boston, MA
    2015 Explorer XLT
    Thank you, Peter, for putting my post in the correct place. And, I appreciate your input.

11. DB Explorer

DB Explorer New Member

City, State:
    Boston, MA
    2015 Explorer XLT
    After reading your post, and the two linked articles, I ask your opinion - should I just leave things well enough alone!? Or maybe try one of the silverstar or comparable bulbs?

• Like Like x 1
  12. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I don't profess to be an expert and all the info I've gathered is from articles like those I linked and others that have gone through the retrofit process. As for Silverstars and similar bulbs I don't see an issue with trying them as they are halogen bulbs as well, just brighter. I used PIAA bulbs in my Highlanders with improved results. I actually haven't driven an Explorer with the halogens so I don't know how bad they are. I have halogen high beams in my Platinum and aside from the colour difference compared to the LED lows, I find them more than adequate. Just be aware that those higher output bulbs don't have that long a lifespan.

Peter

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. jsgoofn

jsgoofn Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Beautiful Colorado
    2015 Ex Sport
    I read also that they make the filament thinner which makes it run brighter and more susceptible to failure. They also put a blue tint on the tube to make it seem whiter.

14. jsgoofn

jsgoofn Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Beautiful Colorado
    2015 Ex Sport
    Ok...I just got my LED conversion kit. I swapped out the halogen with the LED, turned it on and it seems to throw light in the correct direction. I am having a problem with how to tuck away the wires coming from the bulb. Some say they can get the dust cover on over them but not me. Also, if you don't put the cover back on it exposes the inside of the headlight assembly. Is there someone out there that can provide pics or a description as to how they successfully installed these? Also, how did you attach the driver and where? I really don't like the idea of just jamming wires, etc., into whatever cranny is available. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    P.S. - I can hear Peter now saying "I told you so". lol!!

15. champco

champco Active Member

City, State:
    Minnesota
    2013 Explorer XLT
    Can you post a link to the parts you bought?

16. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    2015 Explorer XLT
    It's going to depend on what you bought. A lot of people cut a slit. The ones I bought fit entirely inside. No wire stuffing, nothing. They just fit.

17. jsgoofn

jsgoofn Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Beautiful Colorado
    2015 Ex Sport
    What year is your Ex - mine is 2015? What kind of LED did you get? I got the Lumens G8..

https://www.carid.com/2015-ford-exp...n-led-headlight-conversion-kit-175101486.html

I plugged it into place but the broad, flat wire connects to one end of the driver and the other plugs into the OEM connector so I have two wires to tuck away. Did you have a driver - where did you attach that? Sounds like you have something entirely different......

And thanks for taking the time to answer - I appreciate that....:salute:

18. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    According to his profile in the margin, he has a 2013 XLT.;)

Peter

19. jsgoofn

jsgoofn Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Beautiful Colorado
    2015 Ex Sport
    Duh....sorry...don't always pay attention!! :)

20. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    2015 Explorer XLT
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...dlight-conversions.435075/page-5#post-3597659

• Like Like x 1
  21. champco

champco Active Member

City, State:
    Minnesota
    2013 Explorer XLT

We Support Our Troops!