LED headlights (92 sport) (Success) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED headlights (92 sport) (Success)

csmall88

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport
I know if I ask about led headlights, people will tell me why not to use them. But has anybody retrofitted the housings to accommodate an LED bulb or is there a housing that works with the first gens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, if you're buying a quality LED like the Hikari Ultra's that are shaped properly you shouldn't need to retrofit your headlight housing. They are shaped to match the filament layout and physical dimensions of the halogen bulb you're replacing. If you wind up getting those 3 or 4-sided COB ones that produce scattered light you may have to retrofit or at the very least aim your headlights way down. Just my .02.

Honestly, if you're buying a quality LED like the Hikari Ultra's that are shaped properly you shouldn't need to retrofit your headlight housing. They are shaped to match the filament layout and physical dimensions of the halogen bulb you're replacing. If you wind up getting those 3 or 4-sided COB ones that produce scattered light you may have to retrofit or at the very least aim your headlights way down. Just my .02.
thank you so much. lotta people have been telling me to get silver stars or whatever. and I have them they suck. I just really wanted leds. Much appreciated

Just installed my new Hikari leds. I also borrowed a buddy of mines 4 sided leds to do some comparing. The hikaris blow them out of the water when It comes to angling and light scattering. (granted my adjuster screw tabs are broken so I'm waiting on that) but they're a very good option. Safe, bright, made for halogen housings, and they're affordable. Thank you 96AWD5.LOL
P.S. I used the discount code BULBFACT on amazon and got 10% off

Can you link the exact ones you bought? Thanks

Part number please.

Thanks

So I regrettably didn’t take any before pics and please excuse my light angles, the adjusters are broken and i’m waiting on new ones.
the first pic is high beans and the second is low beams.

C1D0A5E3-5C97-4195-B97F-9DF6AD6892C2.png

B766D7F0-F58D-409E-9933-83A4B654DA6C.png

and my driveways is a giant hill. i’ll try to get some more pics tonight

Lets see the actual headlights!
I’ll do that as soon as I get it back. I replaced the radiator yesterday and it was running fine and then I was cruising down the interstate, look behind me, and i’m smoking up the whole freeway. Pull over and I lose my clutch. What a great time to get excited lol

Oh man, that sucks!

Back