LED Puddle Lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Puddle Lights?

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I am not happy with the lackluster brightness of the stock puddle lights, so I'm wanting to covert them to LED. I'm assuming that I can just pop the lense out of the mirror with a box cutter, but I have no clue what LED to buy. Anyone know what kind of bulb I'm looking for?

Edit: I looked in the Owner's Manual and found the bulb replacement sizes, and ordered some off of Amazon. Probably could've checked the manual before making a post here. Oops.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not happy with the lackluster brightness of the stock puddle lights, so I'm wanting to covert them to LED. I'm assuming that I can just pop the lense out of the mirror with a box cutter, but I have no clue what LED to buy. Anyone know what kind of bulb I'm looking for?

Edit: I looked in the Owner's Manual and found the bulb replacement sizes, and ordered some off of Amazon. Probably could've checked the manual before making a post here. Oops.
You're looking for T10 Bulbs. I bought mine off of amazon and they have worked well now for over a year. You are correct, there is just a small tab to compress to take off the lense.

got mine from walmart. had to pop the little plastic dome off them but they fit and work great. the color was very white so i replaced the entire truck with LEDs to match. use a razor to release to latch to get access to them.

Was there a noticeable increase in brightness/light output?

Was there a noticeable increase in brightness/light output?

for accessory lights, in the dark absolutely. very crisp and clear.
headlights at night yes but yellow lights are better in the rain. something to do with how color wavelengths refract through water.

some people have reported issues with LEDs in the map lamps flickering, some havent. ii do not know why, im sure someone does

This thread inspired me to put some LED lighting in my EB. So far I've done the front markers, puddle lights, and the front light..dome light. Do the other two interior lights also use two bulbs apiece?
I may as well grab the rest that I need to finish the others tomorrow after work lol.

What is involved if I wanted to say....put LED brake/turns and front LED turn lights in? I know there's a resistor that needs to be wired in? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Many thanks!

I was hesitant about LED dome lights....with the "theater dimming", wasn't sure if the LED's would function, but the test came back with good results lol. The one thing is did have to do was lightly squeeze the two contacts on each end of the bulb fixture...guess the LEDs I used were a wee bit smaller than the stock incandescent bulbs. Might be where some of the flicker comes from that Tike mentions in the post above..?

Again, thanks. LED lighting is fabulous. I've also been putting in some LED lights in my shop. Huge difference!

This thread inspired me to put some LED lighting in my EB. So far I've done the front markers, puddle lights, and the front light..dome light. Do the other two interior lights also use two bulbs apiece?
I may as well grab the rest that I need to finish the others tomorrow after work lol.

What is involved if I wanted to say....put LED brake/turns and front LED turn lights in? I know there's a resistor that needs to be wired in? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Many thanks!

I was hesitant about LED dome lights....with the "theater dimming", wasn't sure if the LED's would function, but the test came back with good results lol. The one thing is did have to do was lightly squeeze the two contacts on each end of the bulb fixture...guess the LEDs I used were a wee bit smaller than the stock incandescent bulbs. Might be where some of the flicker comes from that Tike mentions in the post above..?

Again, thanks. LED lighting is fabulous. I've also been putting in some LED lights in my shop. Huge difference!

Nice!
You can put in LED bulbs for brake and turn lights no harm at all. these Vehicles have a 'CANBUS system' this is the system that checks if the bulbs are out and alerts you. basically it measures resistance or volts across the line and if its not what it should be (bulb out) prompt u on the dash info.

that being said you can also get LEDs that are not CANBUS - they will work but you will get a bulb out error and they will hyper blink if they are a turn signal. OR you will need to add a resistor to the wires in order to get the right Resistance / volts for the CANBUS system to not throw the bulb out error

*** also LEDs will hyper blink if the CANBUS system isnt treating them properly(not enough resistance / volts).

my advice -- just get LEDS that are rated for use in CANBUS systems and dont worry about the resistor because they do get very hot.

hope that helps!

Back