• Register Today It's free!

Left turn signal stuck on

Erek_97Sport

Reaction score
City, State
traverse city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
While I was working on my truck I hopped into it to start it then when I stepped out I slipped on ice and hit the turn signal lever (turning switch) now even when it's in the off position the left blinker is flashing. When I try to make it go right it still says left. The one thing that stops it indefinite is to turn off the engine, but as soon as I turn it back on it starts again. If I jingle the handle it shuts off but it still won't turn right, then if I touch it, then it starts going left again.:dunno::dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Malfunction Switch

It sounds like you have damaged the multifunction switch and possibly it will need to be replaced to correct your concern.
Mike

Yup, you broke the MFS (Multifunction Switch), you'll need to replace it. Not hard to do, just needs a screw driver and some time.

I just did that change last weekend. Pretty simple job, though you may have to wrestle with the trim pieces around the steering column. I found the switch on Amazon for less than half the dealer price.

If you have a tilt wheel, the lever just unscrews. Remove the three screws in the lower plastic cover. It's a little easier if you pull the lock cylinder. (Disconnect battery, insert the key, turn to run, press the small round spot on the bottom of the cylinder with a screwdriver and the cylinder will pull right out. Reverse to put back.) Wrestle the bottom and top covers off. Remove the two torx screws and the electrical connectors. Reverse to put the new one back.

i got it to stop flashing but nether left or right are working now. i pulled the flasher relay and put it back in (hoping it would reset or something along those lines) it just stopped the flashing. everywhere i looked and ive called have said that it was going to be the turn signal switch. this is the first ive heard of a malfunction switch. are they connected or what? i just wanna make sure i get this right i have to drive 250 miles in a few days and would like turning signals

The turn signal switch IS the multi-function switch (which also includes wipers, high beams, hazard light switch).

Before you replace it though, you might check the wire connectors on the back. If a wire got pulled part way out it may just need to be pushed back in.

It could be something else in the turn signal wiring, but it does sound like the multi-function switch.

thanks for the info, ill try this in the morning. garage is frozen rate now. and i figured they were one in the same but i wasnt sure.

Yep, MFS needs replacing./

I Checked the wires like you guys suggested and they were fine. So I pulled the multifunctional switch and it looks like its working fine. When I push it like I'm turning right one set of medal comes out (to complete the circuit) same with the left

All the wires were good. I went and pulled a new one out of one at a junk yard... It fixed the turn signal but it also made my wipers flip ****... Any ideas

You probably need an older one. I had the same problem with the wipers on mine. I ended up using parts from the new switch to rebuild my old one. There was an update to the switch at some point. I am not sure how they are different, other than a couple pins being removed from the connector that "weren't being used". But the new one didn't work the same as the old one for me. Look for a switch from an older model.

All the wires were good. I went and pulled a new one out of one at a junk yard... It fixed the turn signal but it also made my wipers flip ****... Any ideas

The 97 uses the switch from 95-97. I have 2 switches from a 98-2001 sitting around cause they don't work in my truck.

You'll have to go back and get the other, older switch.

Alright thanks. And that's really dumb, it should just use the one out of its own year. I mean that wouldn't of helped anyways because I pulled it out of like an 02 lol but still. Thanks you guys

Yeah, I pulled one out of an 02 Sport thinking, "Oh, it's newer and has less wear on it."
Got a nice surprise when my wipers went crazy.. And of course.. I was outside the truck when I tried the switch, and got a nice face full of washer fluid..

i pulled the fuse decided whenever i need them ill put the fuse back in lol. thatll work until i go get another lol

Don't be one of those idiots who drives without signals, please.

nonono i ment i pulled the wiper fuse lol. i hate people that do that

Back