1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Lend a helping hand …

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by aldive, December 31, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 XLT
      Lend a helping hand …

Or better yet, make a donation to help the devastation in SE Asia. Just imagine loosing everything you have, witnessing the tragedy and bleak outlook of massive public health problems; those people need our help.

Here is a link to relief organizations that you can help with a donation.

http://www.usaid.gov/locations/asia_near_east/tsunami/ngolist.html

Lend a helping hand …..

Attached Files:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. matey

matey Aussie Dude

City, State:
      Sydney NSW Australia
      Black 01 xlt explorer
      Tsuami Victims Appeal

Just stirring... I noticed that nobody here has made any mention of the tidal wave that hit south east asia . America has contirbuted the least of any country in the world to the appeal i suppose the fact that theres no oil there and its full of muslims had some some to do with that :p

4. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      I beg your parden .... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124259 . This was posted on 12 -31/

I believe the US ( government ) has given or pledged to give $350 M to date; further, that is not counting the private donations that many Americans have given

I am without the data, yet, I would bet Mozambique or Tanzania have given more than the US.

Last edited by a moderator: January 9, 2005
    5. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      '18 XLT
      For those who wish to donate, check with the company you work with. Many are matching donations that their employee's give. Here's a statement from my Company's website:

GE is supporting the tsunami relief efforts.
      The GE family has pledged more than $10 million in cash, products and services to the relief efforts following the earthquake and tsunami in South Asia. This includes an overwhelming outpouring from employees, who as of today have donated nearly $2.4 million, every dollar of which will be matched by the GE Foundation. This is in addition to the Foundation's contributions of $1 million to the Red Cross and $100,000 to UNICEF

SO ONLY ONE AMERICAN, HUH??? Our country puts out more money worldwide than any other country in the world. We may not currently have the highest dollar figure for this catastrophe (Yet), but if you add up all the aid we put out, we put more out than ANY OTHER COUNTRY!!! In 2003, the US put out $15.791 Billion in foreign aid. Japan was second with $8.911 billion in aid. Australia put out 1.237 Billion in aid.

Now, the US could do better. As a percentage of our GNP, the US was 22nd on the list last year. It's interesting that the smaller countries put out a greater percentage of aid compared to the larger countries...Norway was #1 with 0.92% of their GNP.

Data for the above came from http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Debt/USAid.asp

Last edited by a moderator: January 9, 2005
    6. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian EF Vendor Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Thread merged together.. This is definately a great cause..

7. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

America is doing an excellent job with aid so far, and I am fairly certain, our aid will grow in the future. Looking past the actual dollar amounts, America is donating GREATLY in regards to food, medical aid, transport, military support/protection etc, etc, etc. This is where the greatest impact comes. Physically sticking a $5 bill in the hands of a 10 year old Indonesian child won't make a hill of beans difference. That money needs to be transfered into something tangible and useful, and it is in this area that the US is making great strides.

Please give what you can!!! :thumbsup:

and matey, take your argumentative bs somewhere else, this isn't the time nor place

8. Blee1099

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      The US has donated $350 Million not including private donations. We shouldn't debate how much each country is putting in, instead we should just be content that donations are being sent.

Last edited: January 9, 2005
    9. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      '18 XLT
      You really have no clue, do you? I've travelled in over 20 countries on 3 continents and have many friends in other countries, including Australia. My wife is a second generation American with many relatives still living in Germany, so I'm not "hiding behind my computer".

BTW, you sending me PM's cussing at me just confirms my thoughts of your ignorance level. Grow up!

10. Blee1099

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Alright settle down everyone.

11. Nate1

Nate1 All 4 wheels locked

City, State:
      Gainesville/Tampa, FL
      '96 FZJ-80
      FWIW It has been predicted that the American goverment + private donations will reach well in excess of a billion... I'm looking at CNN right now and I'm seeing a 3:1 ratio between Private donations from America and private Donations from Aust... shouldn't be long now until America's combined donations exceed that of any other donating country.

And lets not get into the aspect of the political motives behind countries like Japan donating so much...

12. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      Is a slight diff as to population between the two countrys.
      Just give what you can afford, one buck or 1 thou, it all adds up:)