Let's see, what can I powdercoat today? | Page 80 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

nissan wiper 1.jpg
nissan wiper 2.jpg
nissan wiper 3.jpg
I have been practicing with my powdercoating system. So, today I thought I'd coat the wipers on my Wife's Nissan--might as well hit the ones on the Mounty also--

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the colors...a new mug for the SAS project would be nice. :) or matching color to the cars I have :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Some before shots because I just got the stuff here. Anti tornadic patio furniture. Heavy stuff. 8 chairs and 2 tables, one set is bar height.

Just got the swivel bushings pulled, the feet pads have to come of somehow.

This will take a minute so stay tuned.

006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
012.JPG

Looking like you are going to be busy blasting that gear.

What colors are you going with?

I'd love to have one of those Mugs... Eddie Bauer Green please. :)

Hmmm, I did not realize there were replies here, my notification blew up I guess.

Looking like you are going to be busy blasting that gear.

What colors are you going with?

I farmed out the blasting, which worked out to be 3 hours of professional blasting @ 135.00 per hr. They have 200 cfm. I only have 15. I don't even want to do the math of how long it would have taken me, or how much Black Beauty would be all over the neighborhood. I'm guessing over 500 lbs. @ 17.00 per 100 . Besides, that stuff is heavy. I will need to call my son over to help just hanging and shooting the wrinkle black. Splatter black actually

Powder Coating Projects & Ideas | Project Gallery | Prismatic Powders

I'd love to have one of those Mugs... Eddie Bauer Green please. :)

I would be glad and honored if you had one---however I don't have a green Eddie Bauer handy. we'll need to try to do a color color match. What is the actual color name?

I'll have to do some checking and get back to ya.

Today, Tomorrow, and possibly into the next day,

Wash, Hang and shoot. Not pictured are the 4 round chair bases in my oven now. In the background are 2 tables, one bar height. It's going to be a bunch 'o' batches for sure.

026.JPG

I would be glad and honored if you had one---however I don't have a green Eddie Bauer handy. we'll need to try to do a color color match. What is the actual color name?

Finally got around to looking it up. Its Spruce Green Clearcoat Metallic.

@traveler I selected Green as a color with metallic as a finish choice. Keep scrolling to see all of them. select a color, thn take a look at the examples and you'll see a video link.

Powder Coating Colors & Custom Coatings | Shop | Prismatic Powders

Video link to "Jabba Snot" which is a gold and green metallic

I need you to take a look at that green page, because I see Jade green, Silver Green, Browning Green. The one "Spruce" green is way to dark. Powder color names are not the same as paint color names to avoid copyright infringement.
For example
"Plum Crazy" powder coat will not match "Plum Crazy" Mopar Paint, however, "Sprint Purple" which isn't even in the catalog of color choices, is an exact match.

Find about 5 that you think are close, then, order 5 free swatches to come to your house. If none are good, order 5 more.

since I do not have a green eddie bauer to look at this would be the best way to match your color.

Well, I don't know if its a perfect match or not, but my co-worker and I have agreed that we love the name "Jabba Snot" for a color! (and it actually does look pretty close) I'll order the swatches once I get home and can create an account. I'm at work now assisting a member with his computer lab time.

update... Ok, got home, signed up, ordered 6 swatches. Hope one of them is what I'm looking for. (Also looked for a color to match the trim)

So, dang.

6 hours racking and shooting time.
24 hours oven time. This isn't like cooking a cake, each part will have a different bake time depending on density. cure time starts when the part has reached 400 degrees. The chair bases were the only parts which could multi cured, all the others were one at a time. The pro coaters could have done this in one batch. I cannot due to booth and oven size.
I did each item separate,going over each one with a fine comb. This way each part turned out perfect.
I also was able to find new nylon glides for the bases on Amazon.

006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG

Good amount of work there. Looks great.

Almost looks identical to the fenders, I just did the other day, with Raptor Liner.

Friends and neighbors of my parents. Mom said "My son can do that" and there ya have it but never again.

I enjoy a challenge but this takes the word hobby and puts it into that stinky whirlpool . I tend o bite off more than I can chew and need to learn how to say no sometimes I guess.

Oh. This used 10 lbs of powder. Should be less but the tight areas require you just spray a lot of waste until the farady areas get covered. 160.00 of powder.

405 sandblasting. 30 hours of my time. 211 kilowatt hours. Buy new furniture. geez.

I guess we kept it all out of the scrap yard. Yay going green!

Well done, wipe the sweat from your brow, and b#### too. I can imagine that frustration, I'm glad you got it done.

One thing though, those old school seats are super comfy...

A lot more that I am willing to try and tackle or have the time for....

Kudos Sir!!!

I guess it is kinda nice to have a full blown shop at my disposal but I can only do "Government Projects" on night shift...

Only a few guys there and they could care less.

Back