Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Let's Talk Guns!

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by 99ex22, April 7, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. FLOffroad

FLOffroad Active Member

City, State:
    Wasatch, Utah
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Forester; 08 ST sold :(
    So that Yugo ammo in the crates is brass, not steel? I usually see steel coming in crates like that, not brass.
    But yeah, I'd keep steel ammo out of an AR based 7.62 - just saying (steel in AK/SKS/etc. is fine, but yeah, long story/debate).

Cool stuff though. Saw some Bulgy 5.45 steel being sold in legitimate crates online not along ago, but they were out of stock. I never see ammo in wooden Eastern bloc style crates locally - they're really cool looking IMO.
    I'd probably buy 4 or 6 crates if I ever saw them and use the crates as an end table just because I think they look so cool (store the ammo else tho).

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    Yup, the Yugo m67 stuff is brass cased. Wideners had both the 1260 and 1120 cases (1120 is on stripper clips).. Not only is it brass cased it is lead core (non magnetic). UNAmmo also has the 1120 round cases right now too.I don't think I've ever bought a "case" of ammo locally. They always want to sell it by the box so they can make more money with the little stock they have. I find that I can go through 1/2 a case of ammo easily when using 30 round magazines.

I was going to go out yesterday but of course it rained.. Go Figure.. next 7 days is shown as 100F+ with 0% rain, but the day I wanted to go it rained.

Next day I can try to go is July 7th.. I'll try again then.

~Mark

4. willindsay

willindsay Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Sevierville,TN
    94 Limited
    My uncle finally brought my the Remington Nylon 66 .22 Rifle he had been holding for my day. It was given to my dad by his father who died when he was 6 and my dad left it with my uncle when we moved to FL.
    I've been researching it and learnin about it as I know little about guns and since it's my first real gun(I have several pellet guns). So far I've found out it was made before 1968 and I've learned to disassemble it to clean it. I've only shot it once since we live in the city limits. I plan to go to a range next week sometime.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone got an opinion on the best .22 ammo at a decent price. I just bought a 2$ box of Federal Lighting from wall world. I'd kinda like to store up a bunch of it so I'd always have some on hand if I ever need it.

I've also got a 410 shotgun that my dad's uncle has been keeping that he's gonna get next time he goes to Virginia.

5. hunterdan

hunterdan Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Fairless Hills, Pa
    2010 Chevy Silverado
    Pick up a couple boxes of the federal bulk pack from walmart. Pretty decent ammo, goes bang all the time (well for me atleast) and is cheap. $20 a box for 550 or so.

6. LBarr2002

LBarr2002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Leesville, SC
    '91 XLT 4x4, '92 XLT 4x4
    My dad's got one of those same rifles. It was mine when I was a kid until we both got into 10/22's. Get the bulk pack from walmart like was mentioned, but I usually have a few duds with the cheapest stuff.

7. GJarrett

GJarrett Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
    '99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
    I guess I'll post one of mine while I still have it... I'm putting it up for sale tomorrow. Ashli's recovering from shoulder surgery and I'm going to have to let one of my firearms go for now.

This is my favorite: a .45 ACP Kimber CDP Ultra. These retail for over $1,300 now and I'll only be asking $795 for it so it should go pretty quick :( . It's been my concealed carry piece for the past year and I also shot it monthly in a IDPA style competition at the local gun range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll miss it, but there's always tomorrow. These old eyes need all the sight radius they can get so I'll probably go to a longer barrel on the next one. I'll post again when I catch back up on bills and get my next .45 :)

Last edited: July 4, 2012
  8. Maniak

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    I just helped someone upgrade their gun storage.

As anyone with a gun safe knows, its hard to see in there. This safe had a string of DC voltage white xmas lights (using a small battery pack) and it was no where near addiquit.

I bought LEDs for rock lights and figure these would work here too. We used the 3 SMD LED string (20 pucks) from (http://www.horsepowerjuice.com/led-lights.html)

It was $30 including shipping.

Here are a couple shots after the install.. One before refilling and the other after getting most things back in there.

[​IMG]
    LED lights in safe - 1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    LED lights in safe -2 by maniak_az, on Flickr

The LEDs are powered by a pair of 6v lantern batteries (in series). The next upgrade is to put on a pressure switch so it turns on when the door is open.

~Mark

9. hunterdan

City, State:
    Fairless Hills, Pa
    2010 Chevy Silverado
    After work today I took a trip to the gun shop. I've been wanting to get a revolver for a while now. I've been looking at the uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre in 357 Mag. I just want something to mess around with. I did some research and it seems like a solid guns for the money. It's no ruger or s&w, but it's about half the price. So the shop I went to had a bunch in stock, apparently they put a huge order in and got a volume discount. I looked at it, and decided to put one on layaway for a few weeks. I was surprised how solid it felt. I'm eager to finish paying for it and hit the range. Here's a link:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=297297670

Dan

10. hunterdan

City, State:
    Fairless Hills, Pa
    2010 Chevy Silverado
    Picked up my revolver this morning. Looking forward to getting to the range and putting some rounds through it.
    [​IMG]

11. hunterdan

City, State:
    Fairless Hills, Pa
    2010 Chevy Silverado
    After a trip to the range the other day, I've decided I really like this gun. Pretty accurate considering the sights are extremely plain and non adjustable. Was shooting to poa at 10 yards. Only thing I have to do is polish the cylinders to help extract the spent 357 casings. The muzzle flash from the 357mag loads are impressive.

12. SkyJumper

SkyJumper DISABLED AIRBORNE VET Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    SW Florida
    1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
    Anyone ever see this video 1 of 3 made SSK Industries .950 JDJ rifle test fire?

What a kick ass rifle, and what a hell of a recoil.

:salute:

13. hunterdan

City, State:
    Fairless Hills, Pa
    2010 Chevy Silverado
    Yeah I've seen that on another sight. Can't say that I'd want to be behind it.

14. hunterdan

City, State:
    Fairless Hills, Pa
    2010 Chevy Silverado
    I decided that I love my 357 SAA so much that I needed something like it but cheaper to feed. I found a guy selling a heritage rough rider in 22 with a 6.5" barrel. So I will be picking that up on Saturday. Then I will likely hit the range with my dad.

15. Maniak

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    We finally got to take out my brothers new rifle. Most ranges won't allow it. This range wouldn't let us shoot at any of their steel targets, even the ones 650 yards and farther.

I threw together this video of a couple shots. From this angle you can see the muzzle blast.

~Mark

16. Scotty J.

Scotty J. Packin

City, State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    '02 Ford Ranger XLT
    Nice!!

Here's my boss shooting his new smith 460:

My friend Will shooting my 30.06:

17. Maniak

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    We took out similar guns Yesterday too. We had the Smith & Wesson 500 and my 1903-a3 (30-06).

I didn't shoot he 500. Last time I did I bruised the muscle on my palm. :)

The .50 BMG actually "kicks" less than my Mosin Nagant or the .308 we were shooting. It just has a lot more report and over pressure (my ears popped and I was wearing foamies and my electronic muffs).

~Mark

18. hunterdan

City, State:
    Fairless Hills, Pa
    2010 Chevy Silverado
  19. Maniak

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
    I finally put together a single video with some of the Slidefire fun we have here in Az.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16PBct5vxf8

First two video clips are with the 9mm AR and the last one, with the Beta mag is .223.

~Mark

Last edited: November 21, 2012
  20. hunterdan

City, State:
    Fairless Hills, Pa
    2010 Chevy Silverado
    Finally after a month or so I got to the range to shoot my new to me 44 mag. My uberti saa also came back yesterday from the shop. Was pleasantly surprised as to how manageable the recoil from the 44 mag is. Wouldn't call shooting it a pleasure since the Dragoon style trigger guard tends to dig into my pointer finger in my weak hand. But i put 56 rounds down range with no issues. But i love shooting my uberti. Shooting the 38s feels like a 22 after the 44 mag. I might see a Ruger vaquero or blackhawk in 357 or 45 Colt in my near future... I love my revolvers..

21. hunterdan

City, State:
    Fairless Hills, Pa
    2010 Chevy Silverado
    Well I added another single action to the collection. This time something much cheaper to feed. A heritage rough rider in 22lr with a 22 mag cylinder. Should be a blast to shoot.
    Dan