• Register Today It's free!

leveling explorers

00MTEDDIE

Reaction score
City, State
Bozeman, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EDDIE
I'm Wondering of anyone has lowered there ex in the front to match the sag in the back? What would i Have to do and is it even good to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you want to lower the truck? And what is your leaf spring setup mono leaf or full pack of leaf springs?

A pair of airshocks from Amazon for about $55. will raise the "butt" to match the front seems like a very cheap solution. It works for me.

I lowered mine when I first got it and didn't really like how it kept hitting the bump stops. If I were you get a set of add-a-leafs if your just trying to level it out.

I lowered mine when I first got it and didn't really like how it kept hitting the bump stops. If I were you get a set of add-a-leafs if your just trying to level it out.

That's what I was going to suggest. Get add-a-leafs. They can be expensive though. I got quoted 400 bucks for one set of aal. There's lots of options for getting the back up. You can also buy longer leaf spring shackles. My explorer sport has a mono leaf. What I'm going to do is go to the scrap yard and pick up a set of leaf springs from a 4 door. It will raise the back up level or higher if i keep a few of the blocks in and give me a firmer ride and towing capabilities. That's only gonna cost 150 bucks for the set. All I have to do is buy new bushings and bolts. Then all i gotta do is a torsion twist on the front to match the new height

The torsion bar bolts can control the ride height in the front.

That being said, the ride quality suffers (with your bump stops being so much closer to the lower control arms), and also there is issues with the camber.

Better to re-arch or replace your rear springs. Likely they need new bushings at this point.

The torsion bar bolts can control the ride height in the front.

That being said, the ride quality suffers (with your bump stops being so much closer to the lower control arms), and also there is issues with the camber.

What he says is true. When you loosen the bolts for the torsion bars there is less pressure being put on them, making the front end suspension softer, and causing you to bottom out, and get more body roll.

When you loosen the bolts for the torsion bars there is less pressure being put on them...
Not true. Your only changing the position. The torsion (spring tension) is fixed by the bar.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have limited knowledge on how tosion bars work. I'm used to coil and leaf springs on older trucks.

A pair of airshocks from Amazon for about $55. will raise the "butt" to match the front seems like a very cheap solution. It works for me.
What about ride quality if i went this route?

Do you remember what the part# of the shocks were on amazon?

And what if i wanted to go with air shocks all around. loosen the torsions up front to level the front to the back then do airshocks or all around?

thank you all for the info. this is great.:thumbsup::)

I just read reviews on these and everyone is pretty happy with them. so i gotem coming!!!! I payed a few extra bucks from oreilly's but i can get the tomorrow. oh ya! thanks.:thumbsup:D

Back