Lifeguard's sas. | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifeguard's sas.

Ok, so since my car was towed home yesterday with no breaks i will be starting my sas. :D i am using a d30 front end with RA's that my buddy gave to me when he put a hp d44 under his 97 yukon :cool:. so since i have ben buying barts for over a year now i have almost all the styuff i need. there will be no guts in the axle for a little bit since i had to start on the swap eraly and need my truck back on the road. so on with the pics . i have goten this far in a day and a half. :D

i went thrugh 2 grinders cleening this thing up. lol good thing they wher only $8 from harbor freght
100_0911_00.jpg

100_0914.jpg

still need to weld the perches and set the pinion angle. anyone know an esay way to do that?
100_0916.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CodePoet hear are the pics you asked for hope they help in your build. i measured my wheel bass as well and I'm at about 105"
100_1231.jpg

100_1232.jpg

100_1230.jpg

100_1229.jpg

and from the pass side up.
100_1233.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Cool stuff man. THANK YOU!

dose anyone know how much it usually cost to have a drive shaft shortened?
or do it myself and then get it balanced?

Shortening will cost around ~$75 balanced. Lenghtening costs more because the entire tube has to be removed and replaced with a longer one -- simply splicing a larger tube over the original tubes is not the prefered method. Call around, and get some estimates.

OK i found a place to shorten my drive shaft. what i am wondering is the measurement to take?
is it just yoke to yoke at ride height and and full drop?
or is there more?
thanks.

From the center of eash u joint cap at ride height. So go from the yoke part that has the wholes in it for the u bolt straps to hold the u joint in place because that surface is the center point. Do it with the weight on the axle. Hope this helps.

well i got a call from the shop with my drive shaft, and there all dune! :) and i will be picking up some tires on Saturday. found them on pirate. i fells so good to be this close. :)
Allfour.jpg

Typicalwear.jpg

i will be picking up some tires on Saturday. found them on pirate. i fells so good to be this close. :)
you're in freaking CA -- you're close to everything! :p:

Got another question lifegaurd! How are the lower buckets working out? I like what you did there (saves some headaches).

Also, curious to know how much you cut down your upper spring buckets? I was planning on cutting mine down to be the same height as the stock brackets. Figured that'd give me just around 6"s of lift with my 3.5" eb springs. Thanks!

well i have to say today sucked. it started with me borrowing my brother in laws truck so i can get my drive shaft. get to the shop and find there closed.:mad: :thumbdwn: so i go home and call the guy i bought the tires from, and headed over there to get them. everything went great. then as i am putting the tires in the garage i look on the side wall and see, 35 12.50r17:thumbdwn: and i can only blame myself. i looked at the thread and i just saw the price and jumped on them. o well :rolleyes: so any one wanna buy some tires? lol

and to answer your question codepoet.
the lower coil buckets have been great so far, i still need to gusset them but when i was driving it i loved the way it rode. and the coil buckets are not cut done at all. they are full height and i used .5. cage springs. it didn't end up as tall as i wanted so i added 1 3" bl to clear the 35" that i still need to buy :rolleyes: i will get some pics for you when i get a chance. hope that helps.

Thanks again man! I'm prolly going to copy what you did haha.

so what do you guys think. should i keep the tires and buy new rims and sell the old ones? or trade the tiers or sell them?

sell the tires and get some other ones to fit your wheels. 17" wheels seem huge with 35's

Less side wall = less psi with the same bead holding strength as smaller wheel with same psi.... but the trade off is your wheel is more exposed to rock rash and the sort. steelie 17x9 wheels are only a little more expensive than 15x8/9 steelies. 35's on 17's will give your ride a "bling" appearance. bmxking has 37's on 17's and his even looks a little bling, but i think it looks good. I'd say do whats cheaper for now. If you can get 17's for cheaper than selling your tires and getting 35's at the correct size, then get new wheels, but get new tires if its cheaper to do that.

good luck

well new rims are in the mail. should be hear in a week.

i ordered the black soft 8. the only steely i could find that came in a 17.

Back