Lifeguard's sas. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifeguard's sas.

Ok, so since my car was towed home yesterday with no breaks i will be starting my sas. :D i am using a d30 front end with RA's that my buddy gave to me when he put a hp d44 under his 97 yukon :cool:. so since i have ben buying barts for over a year now i have almost all the styuff i need. there will be no guts in the axle for a little bit since i had to start on the swap eraly and need my truck back on the road. so on with the pics . i have goten this far in a day and a half. :D

i went thrugh 2 grinders cleening this thing up. lol good thing they wher only $8 from harbor freght
100_0911_00.jpg

100_0914.jpg

still need to weld the perches and set the pinion angle. anyone know an esay way to do that?
100_0916.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my jack gave up the gost today. :( But i did try to center the axle with the suspention compressed, but i wasnt able to get the axle to move. maybe it was just the jack. :rolleyes: but thanks you for that explonation :thumbsup: , so now i will barow a jack from some one and start all over with the suspention at ride height. o well at lest i saw it was moveing befor i was driveing doun the rode. lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok i know the welds are ugly, but they only need to be strong enugh the get to my buddys shop, so he can make them stonger. but hear is the track bar mount.
100_0932.jpg

and the axle under the truck. still tryin to get the track bar length right, the axle is still going to the left.
100_0933.jpg

Ok well i dont have any new pics, but i have goten alot dun. the rear is finished, and the frunt is all in and centerd. :D i am haveing an problem bleeding the breaks. All the air is out of the lines that i can tell, but the pedal still gose to the floor. any one know why?

lifeguard379 said:
Ok well i dont have any new pics, but i have goten alot dun. the rear is finished, and the frunt is all in and centerd. :D i am haveing an problem bleeding the breaks. All the air is out of the lines that i can tell, but the pedal still gose to the floor. any one know why?

mastercyl problem?

Differential Bearing Caps

section525 said:
Good thing you brought this up. I went outside to check on mine.. and my diagram was almost faded away. :eek: This could have been disasterous!! Maybe this is a sign I should install them back into the axle? :p
Luckily you don't need to worry to much about the differential bearing caps on the Dana 30 front axle, as long as you use the ones that came out of the same axle. Don't use some from another axle, Dana marks the caps & housings with a letter stamp, no mater what vehicle manufacturer the axle came out of. One side the letters will be straight up & down, the other side the letters will be sideways. Sometimes the letters are not stamped very good, look hard they will be there. Just put the caps back on with the letters facing the same direction.If you take the rear 8.8 apart be sure you mark them, Ford, GM, Chrysler & every body else do not mark their caps. Mixing them up can cause you to get a faulty gear pattern, cause the differential bearings to wear out prematurely & or the caps can break/crack when torquing them down.

Bronco II said:
Luckily you don't need to worry to much about the differential bearing caps on the Dana 30 front axle, as long as you use the ones that came out of the same axle. Don't use some from another axle, Dana marks the caps & housings with a letter stamp, no mater what vehicle manufacturer the axle came out of. One side the letters will be straight up & down, the other side the letters will be sideways. Sometimes the letters are not stamped very good, look hard they will be there. Just put the caps back on with the letters facing the same direction.If you take the rear 8.8 apart be sure you mark them, Ford, GM, Chrysler & every body else do not mark their caps. Mixing them up can cause you to get a faulty gear pattern, cause the differential bearings to wear out prematurely & or the caps can break/crack when torquing them down.
Sweet! that is good news thanks. :D :thumbsup:

redranger4.0 said:
mastercyl problem?
thats what i dont know. i did let it run dry, but i didnt press the pedal.

OK, well the good news is i got it out into the street today. :D
100_0934.jpg

100_0937.jpg

100_0935.jpg

The bad news is this hapind. :( :thumbdwn:
100_0938.jpg

100_0939.jpg

The bearing i got off ebay fell apart. :( anyboday sellin d30 unit bearings for cheep? lol

Wow i love the stance shes got now :D

uh thats actually your fault not the bearings fault. Its a unit bearing. it needs the axle shaft and retainer nut to hold it together. with out them they can not stay together.

How do you get some many IMG tags in your posts?? :p

Looks like the driver's side was fawked up in all your pictures too. That could have been dangerous. :eek:

section525 said:
How do you get some many IMG tags in your posts?? :p
hes using photobucket.com the links from there already have the IMG in them hes adding them thinking he needs to, but they are already there for him.

redranger4.0 said:
uh thats actually your fault not the bearings fault. Its a unit bearing. it needs the axle shaft and retainer nut to hold it together. with out them they can not stay together.
Well that sux. i did not know that. :( Good thing i was just backing it into the driveway. can i just put the outer stub shaft on? cuz i dont have a diff yet.

I tried to get the tags to go away but then the pics didnt work.

lifeguard379 said:
Well that sux. i did not know that. :( Good thing i was just backing it into the driveway. can i just put the outer stub shaft on? cuz i dont have a diff yet.

I tried to get the tags to go away but then the pics didnt work.
yes you can run just the outer stub

cool! :p is there a way to put the bearing back together? or just get another one? and thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

lifeguard379 said:
cool! :p is there a way to put the bearing back together? or just get another one? and thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

i think a new one is in order

Well since it was my falt i dont feel bad going to the junk yard. :) and agen thanks for the info. :)

Ok, so i took her on a test drive late thurs night (less trafic) and a weld on the trac bar mount broke, and i had to leave it at a gas station for the night. next morning my roomate droped me off with my welder, drove 5 blocks at 5mph (not fun:()to my buddys house to weld the mount back on. well becuse i didnt have my grinder i wasn't able to clean off the old welds so it lasted about 3 blocks befor it broke off agen. so luckly i was 2 blocks from onother buddy muffler shop and had them weld it back on with a more powerful welder. :D that was all on friday. And now she lives. drove her all day yesterday, up to 70 on the free way and better than befor :D i will try get some pics up later today.

Back