Lifeguard's sas. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifeguard's sas.

Ok, so since my car was towed home yesterday with no breaks i will be starting my sas. :D i am using a d30 front end with RA's that my buddy gave to me when he put a hp d44 under his 97 yukon :cool:. so since i have ben buying barts for over a year now i have almost all the styuff i need. there will be no guts in the axle for a little bit since i had to start on the swap eraly and need my truck back on the road. so on with the pics . i have goten this far in a day and a half. :D

i went thrugh 2 grinders cleening this thing up. lol good thing they wher only $8 from harbor freght
100_0911_00.jpg

100_0914.jpg

still need to weld the perches and set the pinion angle. anyone know an esay way to do that?
100_0916.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.13's for 36" and 37" tires are perfect, I drove my vehicle with that gear ratio and 36" TSL-SXs up to Paragon and back with decent MPG numbers.

But be careful if you go 37"s with a locker -- I'm running 36" and I've already wrecked one stock axle shaft and its U-joint.

axleshaft_01.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So it settled then, 34"s or smaller for stock D44 shafts :)

hmm. i will be sure to get some spare shafts as well lol
thanks guys.
how hard is it to wrist the pas side arm? can you do it yourself?

how hard is it to wrist the pas side arm? can you do it yourself?
A few people have done it and from what I've seen, it's not too difficult -- plenty of threads on the forum about doing this conversion.

An old man told me once long ago-

V8 engine
---------
33's- 4:10
35's- 4:56
36-37- 4:88
38.5- 5:13

V6 engine
---------
33's- 4:56
35's- 4:88
36-37- 5:13
38.5- 5:38

This is a good guide for anything that will see highway duty. Actually you can gear lower than the list above and still be good. You think that the extra rev's on interstate will kill fuel mileage... they dont. Think about it- your explorer turning 2000 rpms doing 70mph and you have to keep your foot 80% to the floor to maintain speed. Thats not saving you any fuel. Now, figure 2600 rpms at 70mph and your foot is only 25% to the floor- that means you are geared right. You need the cruising speed to be in the meat of your torque curve. Low rpm's does NOT equal better fuel mileage when it comes to heavy offroad tires and wheels.

I have never in my life ever heard anyone who regeared a truck say "i wish i wouldnt have went so low".

I have 5.13s with 35s and would rather have 4.88s just for lower RPMs at highway speed. That being said, if your truck is likely to run over 35s or will be doing a lot of trail running go ahead and get 5.13s.

well im looking on eBay, and all i can find are 5.14 gears for the 9" how bad will that be with 5.13 in the frunt? thanx

hey izwack, becareful what you say round these parts you might make someone...me...cry:( ...... 5.13's for 36" and 37" tires are perfect, I drove my vehicle with that gear ratio and 36" TSL-SXs up to Paragon and back with decent MPG numbers

well im looking on eBay, and all i can find are 5.14 gears for the 9" how bad will that be with 5.13 in the frunt? thanx
The difference doesnt matter. Often you cannot get the exact number front to rear. If you wanted 4:11's, you would find 4:11's for the Dana and 4:09's for the 9". :)

hurry up and get that thing done so we can go to prarie city! im going tomorrow most likely. hey man you need any parts gimmie a hollar i work at 4wheelparts i can give ya a little deal since you are an exploder guy lol. was gonna sell mine then decides not to. i saw ya drivin around the mall like a month ago. well pm me if ya need parts or help

so your not a les schwab anymore? well i do need gears, springs and shocks. hopefully it will be Dun soon, i ordered my rims a cuple days ago hopefully they will be hear soon. :)

hay brandon, called you about the tires you have on pirate but no answer. leme kno i will take them off your hands for you lol

so what are people doing for break lines in the rear when they use the 9"? will the explorer line work?

well was at the DMV all day today, and the get a new pink slip (now its a salvaged tittle) i was told i need to get a break and light adjustment inspection dun. anyone know what they will do? just make sure the lights work and breaks are spec? will not having abs any more be bad?

Back