Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com

Hmm... It might be how compressed the springs are... Not sure. But good observation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my front coilsprings installed today.... I think it looks amazing. My front end is up just enough. It looks real good.

I ordered 2.25" springs... however I measured 32.8" from road to top of wheel well before the install. Now i measure at about 34.2". So in reality, in the wheel well i only got about 1.6" of lift instead of 2.25"

I am no car expert... so maybe I am missing something? Is that right?

Bump for more responses...

Did your guys post install measurements equal the lift you ordered?

Not sure... I had 3 lift changes, and 3 tire changes.

most shops will measure from wheel centre to a point directly above on the wheel flare. I got about 1/4" more than expected
Scotty

most shops will measure from wheel centre to a point directly above on the wheel flare. I got about 1/4" more than expected
Scotty

What springs etc did you end up using, and what measurements did you end up with?

'04 is still stock, contemplating using some of roadbully's lifters & getting those spacers you showed me & just running same tyre as my '05 the 265/70/17
Scotty

I had my front coilsprings installed today.... I think it looks amazing. My front end is up just enough. It looks real good.

I ordered 2.25" springs... however I measured 32.8" from road to top of wheel well before the install. Now i measure at about 34.2". So in reality, in the wheel well i only got about 1.6" of lift instead of 2.25"

I am no car expert... so maybe I am missing something? Is that right?

Just wondering, I assume that the factory struts were reused in this application, how many miles are on the struts. Could it be possible that the struts are worn out and therefore are not complementing the springs? When I do my spring lift, I am going to probably replace my struts as well. I'm hoping that RoadBully's contacts can help locate some longer struts, allowing for more wheel travel so I can use them.

Has any one been off roading with this lift installed? If so how well does it work? I would want it to be functional as well as look good if I am going to do it.

Has any one been off roading with this lift installed? If so how well does it work? I would want it to be functional as well as look good if I am going to do it.

Jutgin has some pictures off-road with 2.5" up front in this post. Lifting via springs is going to be functional...the biggest issue that one is going to have to think about is going to be final tire size. The taller the tires the more ground clearance you are going to have, but the less space available for upward wheel travel in the well. The second issue that needs to be addresses is going to be strut length. The stock struts are only so long and when you place longer springs on them, they don't travel as far before they run out of extension.

Just wondering, I assume that the factory struts were reused in this application, how many miles are on the struts. Could it be possible that the struts are worn out and therefore are not complementing the springs? When I do my spring lift, I am going to probably replace my struts as well. I'm hoping that RoadBully's contacts can help locate some longer struts, allowing for more wheel travel so I can use them.

Yes factory struts were used. The mechanic I spoke to didn't feel they needed to be replaced. Hmmm... care to further elaborate on how that would effect the lift I am getting from the springs alone? Are they over compressed due to wear on my struts?

I have 50,000 miles on my Explorer.

The mechanic may have said that, but for the best performance - in my experience - use an aftermarket strut new with your coilsprings.

Are they over compressed due to wear on my struts?

While I am not an expert in suspension components (I like to think that tires and engines are more my thing) I do know that over time, components do wear down/out. This is a much older example, but my dad had a '85 BMW 325e that both struts and springs had to be replaced because the car sagged in the rear end. We all know that manufacturers are using components that last only a short period of time so they can get the $$$ to replace it not far down the road.

I would definitely follow Donner's advice of putting aftermarket struts on with your springs. You wouldn't change the oil without changing the filter would you? I know, stupid question, but oil & filter work together just like your struts & springs.

Kevin will tell you what helmsa said... at 50k your oem struts have used most of their life.

Kevin will tell you what helmsa said... at 50k your oem struts have used most of their life.

Hmmm... so if I replace my struts I will instantly gain lift on my truck?

(yes super newbie)

depends

(yes super newbie)

Can't say, but from experience, you would do well with new struts to compliment the springs. Your new struts will better serve you than a set of 50k old struts. Keep in mind this is a mod to your vehicle, struts, springs, wheels and tires usually go together with this one.

it'll ride better without doubt
Scotty

(yes super newbie)

You wont really get any lift from just replacing struts. They are not what support the vehicle's weight, that's what the springs do.

You wont really get any lift from just replacing struts. They are not what support the vehicle's weight, that's what the springs do.

Thanks... that is all I really needed to know. The springs alone should have given me the lift i ordered no matter what.

Either way, my tires fit and it looks great so that is all that matters I guess. It just sucks when you're promised something and the product comes up short.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back