Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com

Not so fast...

You wont really get any lift from just replacing struts. They are not what support the vehicle's weight, that's what the springs do.
100% correct :thumbsup:

Thanks... that is all I really needed to know. The springs alone should have given me the lift i ordered no matter what.

Either way, my tires fit and it looks great so that is all that matters I guess. It just sucks when you're promised something and the product comes up short.

The lift also depends on the vehicle... If you need new struts and the springs are compressed further down than normal (if that's possible), then the issue is with the mechanic that installed the springs, not with Coilsprings.

thats why you should be able to get some money back.
peder25, you have to make sure everything is done correctly before you request any monies. This is a great company with a good reputation.

I would suggest finding out more info about spring compression... from what I've read, it is possible to over compress.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 3" springs are on and I had them put a pair of KYB gas struts on there with them. :thumbsup: With my 265/75/16's on I had 4" between the tire and the wheel well. Now I have 6" in between. I only did the front. It sits high in the front now which looks pretty good but it would look better if I had 1-1 1/2" springs installed in the rear.

Sorry about the poor quality pics here. It was getting dark, I was in a hurry, and I used my cell phone. These are the 3" springs in the front from coilsprings.com

There's actually about 2 1/4"s more room for the tire

100% correct :thumbsup:

The lift also depends on the vehicle... If you need new struts and the springs are compressed further down than normal (if that's possible), then the issue is with the mechanic that installed the springs, not with Coilsprings.

peder25, you have to make sure everything is done correctly before you request any monies. This is a great company with a good reputation.

I would suggest finding out more info about spring compression... from what I've read, it is possible to over compress.

Clearly I am not the only person to have not received the desired lift. I am not trying to bash the company, but there are examples on this site where buyers did not achieve the advertised lift. There's no need to defend the company to death... some people got great results and others came up short.

Clearly I am not the only person to have not received the desired lift. I am not trying to bash the company, but there are examples on this site where buyers did not achieve the advertised lift.
I agree with this statement, but you'll find that the 2" or 3" lift would be in conjunction with longer throw shocks. I also got 2" liftsprings, and the company that sells them here says you will not achieve full lift with factory shocks, but if you fit longer stroke shocks, you will get the full effect of the increased length of the spring. The spring/shock assembly length is dictated by 2 components; the spring AND the shock. Replace one without the other, and you are only doing half the job.

Okay, if yours didn't come out right and you did all you could, including checking for over compression, get a refund. Defend to the death? They've been very good to me... I've no complaints. If you feel they are not safe springs, then please, let everyone know... good luck :)

Do you guys know if the Rancho Quick Lift system could be used on top of the new larger coilsprings?

Has anyone done this?

Do you guys know if the Rancho Quick Lift system could be used on top of the new larger coilsprings?

Has anyone done this?

Someone did, I forget who it was, but they had a very bouncy ride or something after, but they may have also had that without the springs after the fact too.... :confused:

Someone did, I forget who it was, but they had a very bouncy ride or something after, but they may have also had that without the springs after the fact too.... :confused:

Thanks man... yea I found what you are talking about.

"Donner" seemed to have an issue with ride quality with the QL... however he was blaming it on rim size specifications. He had the issue with OEM springs and lifted ones...

I was hoping to find someone who had done it successfully... Roadbully if you can find me someone you might just end up selling another pair of spacers ;) for my rear!

Has anyone done this?

I have the QL on the front of my vehicle. They will be more expensive then both Coilsprings or Road Bully's lift. I wouldn't recommend them, as mine are already leaking. 4wheelparts says they have a lifetime warranty against leaking, but I haven't had a chance to get them replaced. I have been think about trying to add 2-3" using Road Bullies spacers, but I don't have the proper equipment to experiment, and my spending money is now going into ski equipment.

I have the QL on the front of my vehicle. They will be more expensive then both Coilsprings or Road Bully's lift. I wouldn't recommend them, as mine are already leaking. 4wheelparts says they have a lifetime warranty against leaking, but I haven't had a chance to get them replaced. I have been think about trying to add 2-3" using Road Bullies spacers, but I don't have the proper equipment to experiment, and my spending money is now going into ski equipment.

Well I already have coilsprings... so Roadbully's lift is out of the question at the front.

That sucks... haven't heard much positive about the QL lift around here... thanks for the info!

Well I already have coilsprings... so Roadbully's lift is out of the question at the front.

That sucks... haven't heard much positive about the QL lift around here... thanks for the info!

I think you'll find the RBs lift will work in conjunction with the lift springs. I am going for a 1.5" spacer up front, and 1" spacer for the rear (and I have "lift" springs too).

Welcome! Yes you can, however the tires will typically rub in front.. just slightly. You may need to trim a bit off the bumper.

how difficult will it be to install these coil springs and usually how much do they run

how difficult will it be to install these coil springs and usually how much do they run

You haveto remove the strut assembly, compress the strut, remove your old springs, then install the new ones.
4 bolts to remove each strut and then a bolt on the top of each assembly.
Make sure you've got a good spring compressor though.
Price wise, for just the fronts, you're looking at about 245-250 plus shipping.

Cheers

Ben

Price depends on a few factors... you would need to contact Coilsprings.com and ask specifically about your vehicle. Have your part number (from the front springs ready).

Sorry, let me clarify ,
For my 02 XLS, they were
Fronts -$ 245.60 pair 3"
Rear -$ 205.80 pair 2"
Plus shipping.

Welcome! Yes you can, however the tires will typically rub in front.. just slightly. You may need to trim a bit off the bumper.

Just a cable tie to pull back the inner fender plastic splash guard is all you need.

If you want a guaranteed level of lift, go with RBs strut spacers. If you want an advertsied lift that doesn't live up to what is advertised, go with lift springs (eg, mine are advertised as up to 40 to 50mm, which was achieved on the rear, but only 10mm on the fronts, so now I need to fit RBs spacers anyway to the front, to even things up).

Time out...

Roadbully, I think it's a conflict of interest for you to comment on pricing as a vendor of a competing product. It's good when someone says it's too expensive or it sucks, then you let them know there is another option. (Actually, the thread could just be renamed to include your products as well. This would seem fair).

JCUZ, it isn't fair to say that Coilsprings don't work as advertised - they do work and fairly well. For some, they don't work well. Are you currently using RBs spacers? It's good that you let people know your experience with Coilsprings, but you said RBs lift is guaranteed, this would imply that everyone has taken the time to measure as you did.

If you prefer that others don't use Coilsprings, that's fine - but they are a valuable product that work well. I had a terrible experience with RanchoQL on the front end, but the rear struts were very good... others have noticed no problems and highly recommend QL for both ends...

Time out...

Roadbully, I think it's a conflict of interest for you to comment on pricing as a vendor of a competing product. It's good when someone says it's too expensive or it sucks, then you let them know there is another option. (Actually, the thread could just be renamed to include your products as well. This would seem fair).

Ok... I don't normally get into it too bad with anyone on here.. but you've got to ease up Donner.
I gave no negative impression on their product, and AM currently using it.
I simply gave a price based on what I was charged as a consumer.
A member asked a question that I was able to help with an answer to, So I did, as is the point of this board.
I did not say they were too expensive.. nor did I even plug my product in my reply...
Also, someone isn't going to know if they're too expensive or not if nobody answers the questions asked.

Anyway, sorry for the little rant guys, but buying my vendor account didn't come with a gag order, and I am still out to help people.

Thanks

Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Time out...

JCUZ, it isn't fair to say that Coilsprings don't work as advertised - they do work and fairly well. For some, they don't work well. Are you currently using RBs spacers? It's good that you let people know your experience with Coilsprings, but you said RBs lift is guaranteed, this would imply that everyone has taken the time to measure as you did.

If you prefer that others don't use Coilsprings, that's fine - but they are a valuable product that work well. I had a terrible experience with RanchoQL on the front end, but the rear struts were very good... others have noticed no problems and highly recommend QL for both ends...
Yes, I am using King Springs Coilsprings (oz made) and found that the front did not live up to advertised - there are too many factors. For less than half the price, coil spacers give what they claim. I am not bagging coil springs, just stating that there are things that make them less sure of a certain lift - in my case, It may be the extra weight of the v8 compared to the V6.

It's fine for you to defend them as they worked for you, but people with a different experience also need to be able to voice their experience. I didn't know this thread was a paid advertisement for coilsprings.com. please note that mine are not coilsprings.com brand, but they are coilsprings with an advertised lift that was not achieved (on the front - the rear is all good).

Back