Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com

It's the same idea as the torsion twist in the front of a Gen 2. Not technically a lift since you don't drop the position of the whole pumpkin and axle assembly, but just putting the "starting point" of the axles at a lower spot in the stock travel.

I'm not sure that made sense, did you get it? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So..... the front and rear both have torsion adjusters?

assuming the 3" springs are being used, any additional work needed? additional as compared to a 2" lift...

Major Rubbing

Well Can't wait to get my springs....cuz I just put my tires/wheels on and there's major rubbage. I'm gonna have to drive as little as possible until my springs come in, hopefully this week(they shipped them on Thursday I believe).I'm sure it's because the wheels stick out so far (4" backspacing).

I'll post some pics but I'm not sure it fits into this thread or if I should put them in the tires/wheels one. I'll take some pics.

Update

Received my coilsprings today. Dropping off the Ex in the morning to get installed. I don't know a thing about coilsprings but man are these things stiff. I expected to be able to strap them on my shoes and hop around.

Anyways, hopefully theres no complications installing them. I'm not gonna have them installed tomorrow but can anyone recommend some struts for the bigger springs? Monroe Reflex maybe?

Received my coilsprings today. Dropping off the Ex in the morning to get installed. I don't know a thing about coilsprings but man are these things stiff. I expected to be able to strap them on my shoes and hop around.

Anyways, hopefully theres no complications installing them. I'm not gonna have them installed tomorrow but can anyone recommend some struts for the bigger springs? Monroe Reflex maybe?

hahaha i never thought of doing that... funny idea haha

ive heard mixed things about monroes... im needing to change mine somewhat soon too if anyone has suggestions

Well considering they have to support 5000 lbs....

Bigapple, Mounty71...

assuming the 3" springs are being used, any additional work needed? additional as compared to a 2" lift...

Well considering they have to support 5000 lbs....

Would a 3" spring require additional work to have them installed? Or is it the same process as anything lower? Thanks!

Another update

My 3" springs are on and I had them put a pair of KYB gas struts on there with them. :thumbsup: With my 265/75/16's on I had 4" between the tire and the wheel well. Now I have 6" in between. I only did the front. It sits high in the front now which looks pretty good but it would look better if I had 1-1 1/2" springs installed in the rear.

Guess what? My tires still rub. So if anyone wants to put 265/75's on 16x8 wheels with 4" backspacing on their 3rd gen ex there's a good chance it's going to rub. It barely rubs now though and I can do a tiny bit of trimming to cure that. I have someone looking into doing a BL also so we'll see what happens there. But I must say, the combo of the springs and the new struts seems to give it a better ride. Then again I was pretty much driving on blown struts. It handles corners WAY better than before.

I'll post pics when I take some tomorrow cuz it's way too dark out right now. Let me just say I am very happy I ordered these springs. Big ups to everone who had them installed and posted here before me(Donner, planting3seeds) and of course bigapple for discovering and being the first to experiment. Of course I've only driven it a couple miles so far so I'll give updates on the drive/ wear n tear in the future. I'm very pleased.

Man, can't wait to see your pictures tomorrow! Donner, i would imagine it would be the same with a 3" spring, but i am not too familiar with the 3rd gen suspensions.

Would a 3" spring require additional work to have them installed? Or is it the same process as anything lower? Thanks!

well actually they are almost the exact same size... they call them 2" and 3" or 1" cuz they result in that type of lift... if u compare them to the stock springs, the only difference is the coil size... other than that, they are very alike

My 3" springs are on and I had them put a pair of KYB gas struts on there with them. :thumbsup: With my 265/75/16's on I had 4" between the tire and the wheel well. Now I have 6" in between. I only did the front. It sits high in the front now which looks pretty good but it would look better if I had 1-1 1/2" springs installed in the rear.

Guess what? My tires still rub. So if anyone wants to put 265/75's on 16x8 wheels with 4" backspacing on their 3rd gen ex there's a good chance it's going to rub. It barely rubs now though and I can do a tiny bit of trimming to cure that. I have someone looking into doing a BL also so we'll see what happens there. But I must say, the combo of the springs and the new struts seems to give it a better ride. Then again I was pretty much driving on blown struts. It handles corners WAY better than before.

I'll post pics when I take some tomorrow cuz it's way too dark out right now. Let me just say I am very happy I ordered these springs. Big ups to everone who had them installed and posted here before me(Donner, planting3seeds) and of course bigapple for discovering and being the first to experiment. Of course I've only driven it a couple miles so far so I'll give updates on the drive/ wear n tear in the future. I'm very pleased.

cant wait to see it with those terra grapplers... bet thats pretty exciting

the rubbing...

if the rubbing is still ongoing, the need address the wheel wells by pull them inward, and having them secured - it's just plastic. the left front was rubbing near the bumper on mine, and the right front was rubbing near the door. The lower valance might be in the way... they can trim that by rounding it out.

Is that what's going on? I have 265/70/r17, and with all that above done, they don't rub anymore.

if the rubbing is still ongoing, the need address the wheel wells by pull them inward, and having them secured - it's just plastic. the left front was rubbing near the bumper on mine, and the right front was rubbing near the door. The lower valance might be in the way... they can trim that by rounding it out.

Is that what's going on? I have 265/70/r17, and with all that above done, they don't rub anymore.

I havnt taken a good look at it yet but from driving it and hearing where the sound is coming from I think that's whats going on with mine. It wont take much to trim and fix it though. I have a guy checkin on doin a BL too. Its not a big deal to me right now.

The rear sags now so I might do 1 1/2" in the rear like you did.

Excellent! Sounds like the vehicle is coming along just fine!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally Pics

Sorry about the poor quality pics here. It was getting dark, I was in a hurry, and I used my cell phone. These are the 3" springs in the front from coilsprings.com

There's actually about 2 1/4"s more room for the tire

Attachments

• Photo1321321.jpg
    Photo1321321.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 919
  • Photo-0005.jpg
    Photo-0005.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 960

Back