Lift gate glass opens on its own and rear wheels slip easily | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift gate glass opens on its own and rear wheels slip easily

ninobrn99

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLS
having a few issues with my 04 XLS 2wd. There have been quite a few instances where my rear glass just pops open on it's own. I dont press the button on my fob or anything. Ill just see the door ajar light come on.

I've also encountered a few driving/traction issues. I feel like there is something wrong with the front driver side. There have been times that I go to turn left and the car doesn't fully turn, but instead slides straight, but then also begins to turn. (hope that makes sense). Also, when I accelerate from a stop or if i'm at a low speed and give it gas, it will start to spin the tires in the rear and I have to let off the gas. i'm not punching it or anything, just trying to go.

I have replaced both front wheel hubs and all 4 struts with the KYBs, but kept the stock springs. I've had an alignment and new tires put on and rotated on schedule.

I know that my CV joint on the rear right had a small gash in the boot and the grease came out. I haven't gotten it replaced yet. Could that be related to the rear issues I'm having?

Nino

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't sound like any of that is related to your problems.

For the front end you need to check all of your suspension connections like the tie rod ends and control arms. Something is loose/broken up front.

As for the rear-end, I'm clueless on that one based on what you've given us. A CV joint shouldn't have any effect on what you have going on.

having a few issues with my 04 XLS 2wd. There have been quite a few instances where my rear glass just pops open on it's own. I dont press the button on my fob or anything. Ill just see the door ajar light come on.

Also, when I accelerate from a stop or if i'm at a low speed and give it gas, it will start to spin the tires in the rear and I have to let off the gas. i'm not punching it or anything, just trying to go.

Nino

The tailgate window has popped open on me a few times, but just when I tap the key fob (door unlock button) several times while trying to unlock the drivers door. It doesn't do it all the time, rarely. MY drivers door lock doesn't always unlock on the first tap of the key fob button, so I wind up having to depress the key fob button several times till it unlocks. Once I get in the vehicle and start it up, I'll see the "tailgate open" message on the message screen and when I check the tailgate, I find it popped open. Don't know why this happens, just another 3rd generation Gremlin I've learned to live with. The key fob button for the tailgate window itself works fine and as it should.

If your tranny is slipping in gear, the engine will rev really high while trying to accelerate. I'm no tranny wizard here, just guessing, but maybe the tranny is slipping briefly, then engaging during acceleration and it is causing the chirping of the drive wheels against the road by the sudden re-engagement of the transmission under an acceleration load? Trannys with issues do slip and re-engage suddenly right before they quit altogether and slip for good if you keep driving them that way. At that point you would need to get a rebuilt tranny or another tranny new or used.

Doesn't sound like any of that is related to your problems.

For the front end you need to check all of your suspension connections like the tie rod ends and control arms. Something is loose/broken up front.

As for the rear-end, I'm clueless on that one based on what you've given us. A CV joint shouldn't have any effect on what you have going on.
I'm gonna get it checked out to see if anything else is wrong. When I get out, I can hear and "err, err" from the front driver side. Sounds like its the spring/strut area, but I want to confirm.

The tailgate window has popped open on me a few times, but just when I tap the key fob (door unlock button) several times while trying to unlock the drivers door. It doesn't do it all the time, rarely. MY drivers door lock doesn't always unlock on the first tap of the key fob button, so I wind up having to depress the key fob button several times till it unlocks. Once I get in the vehicle and start it up, I'll see the "tailgate open" message on the message screen and when I check the tailgate, I find it popped open. Don't know why this happens, just another 3rd generation Gremlin I've learned to live with. The key fob button for the tailgate window itself works fine and as it should.

If your tranny is slipping in gear, the engine will rev really high while trying to accelerate. I'm no tranny wizard here, just guessing, but maybe the tranny is slipping briefly, then engaging during acceleration and it is causing the chirping of the drive wheels against the road by the sudden re-engagement of the transmission under an acceleration load? Trannys with issues do slip and re-engage suddenly right before they quit altogether and slip for good if you keep driving them that way. At that point you would need to get a rebuilt tranny or another tranny new or used.
That could possibly be it then. I do press the button a few times on occassion.

As for the tranny, I do have issues with it getting out of park when I first start it. It does shift kind of hard too. I planned on getting some repairs done, so maybe I'll go ahead and start looking for a replacement and get it over with.

Is the better route to buy a new one or get the current one rebuilt?

Nino

As for the tranny, I do have issues with it getting out of park when I first start it. It does shift kind of hard too. I planned on getting some repairs done, so maybe I'll go ahead and start looking for a replacement and get it over with.

Is the better route to buy a new one or get the current one rebuilt?

Nino

Don't replace the tranny until you get it looked at by a mechanic you trust and find out whether you actually need to have it replaced or not. Since you are having tranny problem symptoms already, shifting out of park, hard gear shifting, wheel chirping etc, I wouldn't drive it like that too much longer before getting it looked at. You could try a cheaper fix first and have the tranny pan fluid and filter changed to see if it helps with the symptoms you are having.
As for a replacement tranny, a "new" tranny from Ford would cost quite a bit more, $3500 and up range ( I wouldn't go this route, don't trust dealerships and have read some horror stories in here from people who went this way). A "rebuilt" tranny from a reputable transmission shop with all the updates and corrected factory issues (servo bore) can be purchased for approx. $1650-$2300 depending on where you live. A rebuilt tranny is made with some new and USED parts that still work. The tranny shop wouldn't necessarily rebuild your old tranny from your vehicle, but sell you one they already have rebuilt in stock, then keep your old tranny casing as a core replacement.
You can also go with a "remanufactured" transmission, which costs approx. $2300-up, but comes with all new internal, aftermarket parts and other than the outer tranny casing which is a used casing, it is a new transmission and should come with all the new updates etc.. Tranny shops can order remanufactured transmissions for you and install them there. As long as money isn't an issue and you plan on keeping your Explorer for many more years, I would go with a remanufactured tranny. It is considered the better overall tranny. Rebuilt tranny's usually come with a 1 year, 12,000 mile warranty and remanufactured tranny's should come with a 3 year or higher warranty. Hope some of this helps!

Very helpful info. I don't think I'm going to keep her. I may either get a newer explorer or 4 runner.

I got it up in the air yesterday. The only thing that seemed odd was the wiggle in the front driver side wheel. The pass. side didnt budge, just the driver side. I tried to look at the tierods, but I really wasn't sure on what to look for to see if they were bad.

I am going to take it to get the tranny looked at this Saturday I hope.

Nino

My rear glass door use to do that i also had to slam it to make it latch close. Did you ever get that recall done for the hinges? After Ford fixed mine the rear door stopped popping open on its own and I didn't have to slam it shut no more.

Hmm, didn't know they're was a recall. Is it just the lift supports our the actual hinges that connect the glad to the lift gate?

Nino

Back