1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by rusty813, June 17, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Andres R

Andres R New Member

City, State:
    Phoenix AZ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Explorer Limited 4WD
    So I went with 17" wheels 35mm offset (stock 20" wheels had 45mm offset). And Geolanders 265/70R17. They don't rub at all, not even in reverse or when turning all the way, so I was happy I didn't have to trim anything.
    My new set up is about 5lbs lighter per corner, so very happy I am not putting crazy amounts of weight and stressing the components, as well as diminishing acceleration and breaking power.

I already tested the tires on a moderate off road trail just outside of Phoenix, Bulldog Canyon. It was so much fun to not hit any rocks! My two friends in their stock 2007 and 2011 Jeep Cherokees were slightly hitting exhaust pipes at the bottom of washes, nothing bad though.

Here is a video of one the harder obstacles at this trail:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Love the video and it confirms along with others I have seen that the Ex is capable of light to some moderate off road use.
    As for the wheel/tire change, they exceed the accepted 3% maximum diameter variance by almost two times (5.9%). This will affect the ABS system which is factory programmed for the OEM size. Also good luck if you ever have to use the spare.:)

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andres R

Andres R New Member

City, State:
    Phoenix AZ
    2011 Explorer Limited 4WD
    The spare size is something that concerns me. I looked at the compartment for the spare and it seems I could fit a taller tire, but not much thicker. I am planning to do some testing at a tire shop to see how much bigger of a tire I can fit as a spare.

And I did see the 3% rule here before. Do you know where I can learn more about the affects to the ABS system?

5. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I got the size and ABS info from a post in this Forum. In the post it mentioned that the 2016 Explorer had preprogrammed and acceptable tire sizes in one of the modules. It went on to mention that changing the tire size also made changes/updated the info in some other control modules like ABS. I believe it may have been a post by jmr061 but can't be sure.

Peter

6. Turdle

Turdle Freelance Stuntman Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    I'd like to know how this works, as it has to have GPS input for this to be possible. Otherwise, larger tires ( all around) would just make the vehicle think it is moving a bit slower.

7. aLLSTaR Explorer

aLLSTaR Explorer New Member

City, State:
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    Got bored and swapped out my wheels for some TSW Rally wheels that I had refinished in a goldish/silver - wheel specs are 20x10" 25mm and the same 305/50/20 Toyo Open Country A/T II's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    While they look good they exceed the accepted 3% maximum diameter variance by twice that number (6.6%). Not good for the preprogrammed specs for modules like the ABS. Also apart from adding extra pressure to the braking system they will also put extra strain on the suspension parts. But they do look good, especially with the vehicle colour. Just don't get a flat since the spare won't work.:)
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-305-50r20

Last edited: August 24, 2017
  9. Turdle

Turdle Freelance Stuntman Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    I think the "variance" referred to here is wheel to wheel size variance, not a variance in all 4 . In other words, if the abs senses one wheel spinning faster than the rest, it will set off an abs error.

The abs has no way of knowing all 4 are larger.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    From what I've read on the tire sites is that when 'up sizing' tires, they should not exceed the OEM diameter size by more than 3%. On 1010tires.com a pop up will state that when you compare sizes to the OEM. As for the ABS not knowing tires are larger I can't really comment on that except to say that a few acceptable sizes are reprogrammed into a module (BCM?) of the 2016/17 models. When a tire size is changed, you can then, using IDS or Forscan, chose the new size and it will reprogram the affected modules to account for the new wheels/tires. Increasing the size would in most cases also increase the overall weight and affect stopping ability.

Peter

11. Frankie Pham

Frankie Pham New Member

City, State:
    Copperas Cove texas
    2016 Explorer Limited
    Hi guys!
    I own a 2016 explorer limited and i installed Traxda lift kit for it (That was the only option for my SUV on the market as of right now.
    So i wonder if there's any kinda customization lift so i could go 4 to 5 inches higher (total).
    Thank you guys for your time!

12. Mr. Jonas

Mr. Jonas New Member

2011 Explorer Limited
    I went ahead and pulled the plug on the lift project. I was a little bummed initially because i found out that lifting the Ex was possible right after i had purchased new tires, but i was able to sell my rims and new tires for enough to cover the cost of new 17 inch rims with 265/70/17 Dick Cepek Fun country tires. The lift i bought was not from traxda but rather an online competetor that cost me about 40% of what Traxda was charging and gave me 3 inches of lift in the front and 2 inches in the back so it was bigger which is always cooler. In the end i got almost 5 inches of added height and ground clearance.

THERE WAS DEFINITE RUBBING when i first put the wheels on since my new rims had more backspace than the factory 20's that I was running. I had to remove the plastic mud flaps and play with the pinch welds a little to get rid of the issue. It was a bit of work but definitely worth it. I have since put on a 52 inch curved LED light bar that makes the ex look mean, and also purchased a rooftop tent so i can camp anywhere my Ex can get me (which is surprisingly a lot of places thanks to the lift)

10,000 miles later there are no issues with any suspension components and my brakes still work just as well as they did before. I was hesitant to go ahead with the project because of all the "horror stories" and precautions people were listing on the forum, but i couldn't be happier with my decision. Doing all the work is definitely a risk but hey, no risk no reward. That's just my 2 cents.

My pictures won't show up on this comment but if you hold the control button and click in the icon and hit open image on new tab, the image will show up

If you have any questions feel free to message me

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8qtb3fbjjzp67q/FullSizeRender%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0
    [​IMG]

13. Mr. Jonas

Mr. Jonas New Member

2011 Explorer Limited
    The first image didn't work so I'll repost it. Also here is a pic of one of our recent expeditions

hold the control button and click in the icon and hit open image on new tab, the image will show up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    I'm sure there is no one that will come out with that kind of a lift for it. It's nearly impossible to because of the cv angle that would have to come out of the transmission. You also have a uni body, no body lift can be done.

Last edited by a moderator: September 5, 2017
  15. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    I would think you could pretty much 'lift' almost any unibody vehicle by using strut and subframe spacers. It shouldn't be too hard to make spacers out of aluminum block and get some longer mounting bolts, but no idea how many other mods you'd need to do to make it all work. Not sure how much lift you can 'reasonably' get from this method either, but I assume it would vary by vehicle.

I believe people have been doing these type of lifts on Subaru vehicles for many years now.

16. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Not working for me.

17. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Many members have successfully "lifted" their 5th gens. as you can see in this thread.

Peter

18. boominXplorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    He already has the traxada lift, you can't stress the cv axles any more than the 2-3" lift he has now. He is looking for another 4+ inches which is not going to happen.

19. boominXplorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    Sure you might be able to squeeze another inch or two out by messing with subframe spacers but 4"+ is not safe without spending some time fabing up an entire system to drop the engine and trans subframe.

20. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Yes, I was aware of that. I was just replying to your statement, "You also have a uni body, no body lift can be done." Perhaps my understanding of "body lift" isn't the same as just a 'lift'. I believe he wants 4 -5 inches in total height, not in addition to the 2 or 3 he already has. In any case it is bound to affect the powertrain warranty should something fail because of it.

Peter

21. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    Body lifts just lift the cab by putting taller bushings between the frame ( which he wouldn't have) and the cab. No body lifts on unibodies.

• Thanks Thanks x 1