Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

kit hasn't been on for long. you can look a page or so back where I was asking similar questions, and then, when I installed it. I think I have a picture of before and after. I refinished the wheels at the same time so the pictures don't do it justice. But the tire and wheel combo are still stock I am gonna do a 275 Nitto terra grappler g2 as soon as the tread on these die down, and re-cal the speedo once the new tires go on. there are a lot of threads where people are running 275-??-R?? I leave out the numbers because some are running 18,20,22" wheel so both values change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Started having noises coming from the sway bar end link brackets on the front end. In case anyone is wondering a 12” center to center end link will replace the bracket and stock end links. Works like a champ and noises are suddenly gone. They don’t return due to torque issues either.

NewB from California and here is my 2017 2.3 ecoboost lifted with the traxda lift. I only installed the front spacer though. Running 17x9 +18 with 265/65 and no rubbing. Someone had asked if it was possible to run 17s on an EX with factory tow package, the answer is yes, I have it.

image1_3.jpg

Hey I really like the tire wheel combo. What tires and wheels?

Thanks.

EDIT: Having a 5th gen Ex rolling white letter BFGs...About 3 grand in repairs every year or more.

And now the rest of the story... 15K miles later, I need new front axles and engine mounts and a RH rear upper strut bushing that is not available from Ford. I'll be going back to stock height and stock wheels and tires. It was fun while it lasted but View attachment 96123 I hate myself for doing this lift, etc. Just keeping you informed. Apparently, individual results may vary.

I installed traxda a year ago, put on bigger tires.. exactly year later started getting strange vibration/noise from front end. it doesnt happen all the time but getting worse. mechanic checked and saying everything is ok must be something with tranny. so i took to dealer mechanic and they wouldnt check anything in driveline. they did flushed transmission and checked for leaks, everything checks out. still vibrates.
you saying you had to replace axles, was there visible damage? if you shook them did they move?

I installed traxda a year ago, put on bigger tires.. exactly year later started getting strange vibration/noise from front end. it doesnt happen all the time but getting worse. mechanic checked and saying everything is ok must be something with tranny. so i took to dealer mechanic and they wouldnt check anything in driveline. they did flushed transmission and checked for leaks, everything checks out. still vibrates.
you saying you had to replace axles, was there visible damage? if you shook them did they move?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
When you say bigger tires, did they exceed the OEM diameter by more than 3%? What size?

Peter

CV axles don’t usually have a good way to test. Even new they feel a little loose.

CV axles don’t usually have a good way to test. Even new they feel a little loose.

planning to replace mine coming Monday, my mechanic said "only if you insist", but he has no idea why it vibrates

and fords mechanic won't look at drive line because of kit

265/65/18
not that big
Thank you. That size is just a little over the maximum 3% diameter variance at 3.35%. I was wondering if perhaps it was more because over time that could affect braking and suspension systems due to the extra weight. I don't understand why the Ford mechanics won't check the driveline since you would have to pay for that any way. If anything was found to be faulty and it was attributed to the 'lift' it wouldn't be covered under the 5 year, 60k warranty if that is still valid.
Good luck.

Peter

Last edited:

Thank you. That size is just a little over the maximum 3% diameter variance at 3.35%. I was wondering if perhaps it was more because over time that could affect braking and suspension systems due to the extra weight. I don't understand why the Ford mechanics won't check the driveline since you would have to pay for that any way. If anything was found to be faulty and it was attributed to the 'lift' it wouldn't be covered under the 5 year, 60k warranty if that is still valid.
Good luck.

Peter

no warranty, 80k

in theory it makes sense that axles could go bad, 2" over stock wheels and 2.25" lift kit, that extends a bit over manufacturer specs

no warranty, 80k

in theory it makes sense that axles could go bad, 2" over stock wheels and 2.25" lift kit, that extends a bit over manufacturer specs

they didn't install lift kit, they don't do it so they can't help much as he said

In my experience instal the factory half shaft/cv axles. Every after market one I have installed had a low speed wobble, specially when turning

Not normal no. The axle nut should prevent that from moving like that. Now the axle should move a little because of the travel of the suspension but not when sitting still and with no suspension movement.

it was strange, that play was there then I drove half mile and it was gone, then appeared again.. both sides.. not consistent.
though vibration seems to be consistent, hopefully it show when car is on a lift. heading to shop tomorrow

that shaft needs to be replaced.... no questions...

replaced both today, both had same play. so far so good, drove today about 50 miles

will take apart old ones, to see if i find anything

Here's my 2016 with the Traxda kit - trimmed the body mount spacer up front and the pinch rail to clear the 305's, everything else is stock.
Where did you get that LED bar for the front? Been looking for one.

Hi All, brand new to the forum and first time Ford Explorer owner. I have a 2016 Grey Sport and recently installed the Traxda front 2.50” (2.25” plus an extra 0.25” spacer) and rear 1.25” kit. I was surprised when the car measured out from 32 to 33 1/2 (1.50” lift) in the front after installation and from 33 1/4 to 34 3/4 in the rear (1.50” lift). Wondering if anyone else installed this lift on a sport and what their before and after measurements were. Thanks in advance and this is a great forum.

Hi All, brand new to the forum and first time Ford Explorer owner. I have a 2016 Grey Sport and recently installed the Traxda front 2.50” (2.25” plus an extra 0.25” spacer) and rear 1.25” kit. I was surprised when the car measured out from 32 to 33 1/2 (1.50” lift) in the front after installation and from 33 1/4 to 34 3/4 in the rear (1.50” lift). Wondering if anyone else installed this lift on a sport and what their before and after measurements were. Thanks in advance and this is a great forum.
Can you post a picture? Just bought the same kit for my 17'

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Kevin.:wave:

Peter

Back