Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

Hello Rick,

I just purchased upgrade to be able to show pictures. Whenever I can I will post.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

GP
Thanks for supporting the site!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a picture of my 2018 xlt 4 wheel drive explorer
c57289f7-1e52-49f5-8e27-0ba4d69934a9.JPG

Below is a picture with the EBAY kit 3 inches front 2 inches back. My main issue right now is the back with the caster

7c62d3ef-1cb1-4935-a546-23a222539009.JPG

Looks like the both wheels shifted towards the wheel wells. Weird.

Looks like the both wheels shifted towards the wheel wells. Weird.
I noticed that as well. The front wheels look like they moved back while the rear wheels moved forward.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Gus and thanks for taking out the Elite membership.:wave:

Peter

@gp92089 I would contact the company that sold you the kit. Send them the photos and see what they recommend.

So this is how it turned out, still not sure if back wheels are in right place I have my doubts

IMG_3619.jpg

Also adding the alignment photo and info, its in spanish so that might be a problem.

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

I wouldn’t be happy with the wheels so far pushed forward. I don’t see why they wouldn’t still sit centered in the wells.

Without the proper length control arms the hub will move towards the pivot points when lifted. The other kit that was listed before came with brackets to drop the arms to fix the alignment. Without any kind of special arms or brackets I wouldn't lift the truck any more than 1" or maybe 2". Your riding at maxed out suspension travel with lift spacers more than 2".

Last edited:

Without the proper length control arms the hub will move towards the pivot points when lifted. The other kit that was listed before came with brackets to drop the arms to fix the alignment. Without any kind of special arms or brackets I would lift the truck any more that 1" or maybe 2", your maxing out suspension travel any more than that.
So the drop brackets would put you back into the middle of your travel as well? I

Yes. Now I'm not an expert on 5th gen lifts but have installed a ton of drop bracket lifts. The geometry of the factory independent suspension on any vehicle will not support any more than 2 in of lift without special alignment, control arm swap or drop brackets.

That’s why I took my TT out of the front, I fit 31s with no issues and got sick of being at full droop.

I know two guys from my local explorer club, who did a spacer lift one of them 3cm front and 1.5 cm rear, the other 2.5(1") front and 1 cm rear. the spacers are made of solid aluminum fabricated/ machined for the shocks and their mounts in shop. both of them said they heard no noises at all after and felt no difference in mileage. of course both are conservative lifts.
guys, this car is amazing in sand, even very soft relatively steep dunes. thing really surprised me I did not see that performance coming from the front biased open diff explorer. anyway, after i tried that thing in the dunes, I was sure i wanted to lift it a bit as this car deserves better clearance and definitely a better approach angle, what with that pathetic approach angle?

My question to people of knowledge and experience here. help a brother out. what's a good lift height that will not affect the longevity of the drive axle joints? how high can i go while maintaining the same ride and hearing no new noises, and without stressing at all the C.V joints.
thanks everyone.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Keep in mind that an SUV normally is a little higher in the back than the front. That is so that when you put a load in the back the vehicle levels out. If the front and back were of equal height, then a load in the back would have the effect of raising the front and at night the headlamps would shine too high.
The approach angle has been improved in the 2020.

Peter

Thank you, Peter. Yes, good point. I don't plan on leveling or almost leveling the car like they did. light would be a real bad issue especially without the headlights leveling scroll.

My lift is imminent guys. Need help, please. The shop will fabricate spacers for the car. I get to choose exactly how high.
I was thinking around 1.75", some friends told me this would lead to sounds from the C.V joints.
I just want to know how far I can go without straining the cv joints.

You must remember a 1" spacer doesn't mean 1" of lift. A 1" spacer will give at least 1.5" of lift.

He already has the traxada lift, you can't stress the cv axles any more than the 2-3" lift he has now. He is looking for another 4+ inches which is not going to happen.

Could you help me out here? If I stay under 2", cv axles wouldn't go out prematurely you think?

You must remember a 1" spacer doesn't mean 1" of lift. A 1" spacer will give at least 1.5" of lift.
Sorry posted before seeing this reply. Alright help me out here. Need to give it some ground clearance and improve the approach angle, while not affecting any suspension or drive train components.
P. S I had no idea 1" spacer would lift more than 1"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry posted before seeing this reply. Alright help me out here. Need to give it some ground clearance and improve the approach angle, while not affecting any suspension or drive train components.
P. S I had no idea 1" spacer would lift more than 1"

The reason it lifts more than what it is is because it's independent suspension with control arms. You have to take a triangle into consideration when measuring strut spacer lifts.

If you don't want to chance messing with the suspension I'd leave it alone if it was me. Sure a small spacer isn't going to wear anything out immediately but it will create premature wear on joints and bushings. I'd research what other peoples experiences are (look back in this thread) and keep it minimal. Remember people advertising 2" of lift didn't actually use a 2" spacer.

Back