Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by rusty813, June 17, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    So the drop brackets would put you back into the middle of your travel as well? I

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    Yes. Now I'm not an expert on 5th gen lifts but have installed a ton of drop bracket lifts. The geometry of the factory independent suspension on any vehicle will not support any more than 2 in of lift without special alignment, control arm swap or drop brackets.

4. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    That’s why I took my TT out of the front, I fit 31s with no issues and got sick of being at full droop.

5. Anabil

Anabil New Member

City, State:
    Dammam
    2015 Explorer Limited
    I know two guys from my local explorer club, who did a spacer lift one of them 3cm front and 1.5 cm rear, the other 2.5(1") front and 1 cm rear. the spacers are made of solid aluminum fabricated/ machined for the shocks and their mounts in shop. both of them said they heard no noises at all after and felt no difference in mileage. of course both are conservative lifts.
    guys, this car is amazing in sand, even very soft relatively steep dunes. thing really surprised me I did not see that performance coming from the front biased open diff explorer. anyway, after i tried that thing in the dunes, I was sure i wanted to lift it a bit as this car deserves better clearance and definitely a better approach angle, what with that pathetic approach angle?

My question to people of knowledge and experience here. help a brother out. what's a good lift height that will not affect the longevity of the drive axle joints? how high can i go while maintaining the same ride and hearing no new noises, and without stressing at all the C.V joints.
    thanks everyone.

6. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    Keep in mind that an SUV normally is a little higher in the back than the front. That is so that when you put a load in the back the vehicle levels out. If the front and back were of equal height, then a load in the back would have the effect of raising the front and at night the headlamps would shine too high.
    The approach angle has been improved in the 2020.

Peter

7. Anabil

Anabil New Member

City, State:
    Dammam
    2015 Explorer Limited
    Thank you, Peter. Yes, good point. I don't plan on leveling or almost leveling the car like they did. light would be a real bad issue especially without the headlights leveling scroll.

8. Anabil

Anabil New Member

City, State:
    Dammam
    2015 Explorer Limited
    My lift is imminent guys. Need help, please. The shop will fabricate spacers for the car. I get to choose exactly how high.
    I was thinking around 1.75", some friends told me this would lead to sounds from the C.V joints.
    I just want to know how far I can go without straining the cv joints.

9. boominXplorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    You must remember a 1" spacer doesn't mean 1" of lift. A 1" spacer will give at least 1.5" of lift.

10. Anabil

Anabil New Member

City, State:
    Dammam
    2015 Explorer Limited
    Could you help me out here? If I stay under 2", cv axles wouldn't go out prematurely you think?

11. Anabil

Anabil New Member

City, State:
    Dammam
    2015 Explorer Limited
    Sorry posted before seeing this reply. Alright help me out here. Need to give it some ground clearance and improve the approach angle, while not affecting any suspension or drive train components.
    P. S I had no idea 1" spacer would lift more than 1"

12. boominXplorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    The reason it lifts more than what it is is because it's independent suspension with control arms. You have to take a triangle into consideration when measuring strut spacer lifts.

If you don't want to chance messing with the suspension I'd leave it alone if it was me. Sure a small spacer isn't going to wear anything out immediately but it will create premature wear on joints and bushings. I'd research what other peoples experiences are (look back in this thread) and keep it minimal. Remember people advertising 2" of lift didn't actually use a 2" spacer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bdfAZ07

bdfAZ07 New Member

City, State:
    Yuma, AZ
    2015 Explorer XLT 4x4
    So my wife just got a 2015 Explorer, and since we both enjoy off roading in the desert, I wanted to throw on some rims and bigger tires...maybe lift it a bit...a quick Google image search didn't give many examples of how the newer explorers look with a lift... Anyone care to share some pics of their newer style explorers with lift kits and/or off road tires??

14. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Your thread was merged with this one. Post #266 is one of the more 'aggressive' ones I've seen.
    There are more threads you can find with the 'Search' feature in the upper right.
    Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels
    All Terrain Tires

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  15. Okiedevildog

Okiedevildog New Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    2017 XLT Sport AWD
    I bought my wife a 2017 XLT Sport and put the Truxxxx lift on it, 2.25 front and 1.25 rear with 285/50/20 Cooper HT Plus, it sits nicely. After reading some of the forums here and there I’m debating taking the lift off. I’m reading some negative reviews in regards to the front axles, CV joints, etc going bad quickly. I don’t want that.
    Just curious to know if the ones having front end issues, are doing a lot off-roading or just regular driving..?
    Appreciate your response

16. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Most SUV/truck are purposely not level. This allows for carrying weight in the back while keeping the light beam on the road and out of oncoming traffic's eyes at night.
    The change in tires exceeds the accepted maximum diameter variance of 3% at 3.9%. I guess it is possible that suspension parts etc may go bad prematurely. If they do and the reason is attributed to the "lift", those parts will not qualify for warranty coverage. That would also apply to the Powertrain Warranty. It is all explained in your Warranty Guide brochure.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  17. Okiedevildog

Okiedevildog New Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    2017 XLT Sport AWD
    Thanks for the reply, I see a lot of others putting bigger tires over the maximum of 3%, In my opinion I think the 3.9% is not that much of difference, only 1.18 in height. I understand braking, speed, drivetrain and trans, etc might be of concern but if I’m correct most sports, I know ours did, are equipped with heavy duty rotors, pads and ours is equipped with the Tow pkg. I’ve had my neighbor who had been a mechanic for over 50yrs check the axles and CV and he said there isn’t much strain at all. I’m just hearing others complaint about the lift and I’m curious how they drive them.
    Thanks again for replying

Do have another question, if I take off the lift would the tires I just purchased 285/50/20 still fit, I do have a lot of tire well available.

Last edited: March 22, 2019
  18. Okiedevildog

Okiedevildog New Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    2017 XLT Sport AWD

I went with the Truxxx lift ...2.5 front and 1.25 rear and it now sets up a better, like the clearance as well. I did do alignment after I put 285/50/20 tires on it.

19. Okiedevildog

Okiedevildog New Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    2017 XLT Sport AWD
    It’s the same lif
    I put 285/50/20 on our 2017 XLT Sport with the Truxxxx lift

20. Rico19

Rico19 New Member

City, State:
    CA
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    Greetings. New 2016 Explorer Sport owner and member. The info and conversations have been really helpful overall, so thanks in advance.

Like a lot of people in this thread, I’m trying to get more ground clearance without an extensive suspension system upgrade, and have been looking at 4WD 2.5”/1.5” leveling kits. I would do the recommended alignment post install.

My goal is to use the lift/level as an intermediary step to see if I like it and before commititing to different wheels/tires. I currently drive with the OEM 20” Hankook P255-50-R20s.

My questions are:

- do folks prefer Traxda or Truxx?

Seems like one company may have become the other, but product pricing varies greatly.

- lift/level results/reviews/comments range between “great/love it” to “I’m ripping it out.”

What gives? Regardless of increased vertical height, is the lift worth the potential damage to the vehicle?

Any clarity would be appreciated before an approx $1k investment. Thanks!

Rich

21. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Rich.:wave:
    As for levelling kits, please see my post #465 on this page. Good luck.

Peter

We Support Our Troops!