Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by rusty813, June 17, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      So the drop brackets would put you back into the middle of your travel as well? I

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      Yes. Now I'm not an expert on 5th gen lifts but have installed a ton of drop bracket lifts. The geometry of the factory independent suspension on any vehicle will not support any more than 2 in of lift without special alignment, control arm swap or drop brackets.

4. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      That’s why I took my TT out of the front, I fit 31s with no issues and got sick of being at full droop.

5. Anabil

Anabil New Member

City, State:
      Dammam
      2015 Explorer Limited
      I know two guys from my local explorer club, who did a spacer lift one of them 3cm front and 1.5 cm rear, the other 2.5(1") front and 1 cm rear. the spacers are made of solid aluminum fabricated/ machined for the shocks and their mounts in shop. both of them said they heard no noises at all after and felt no difference in mileage. of course both are conservative lifts.
      guys, this car is amazing in sand, even very soft relatively steep dunes. thing really surprised me I did not see that performance coming from the front biased open diff explorer. anyway, after i tried that thing in the dunes, I was sure i wanted to lift it a bit as this car deserves better clearance and definitely a better approach angle, what with that pathetic approach angle?

My question to people of knowledge and experience here. help a brother out. what's a good lift height that will not affect the longevity of the drive axle joints? how high can i go while maintaining the same ride and hearing no new noises, and without stressing at all the C.V joints.
      thanks everyone.

6. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      Keep in mind that an SUV normally is a little higher in the back than the front. That is so that when you put a load in the back the vehicle levels out. If the front and back were of equal height, then a load in the back would have the effect of raising the front and at night the headlamps would shine too high.
      The approach angle has been improved in the 2020.

Peter

7. Anabil

Anabil New Member

City, State:
      Dammam
      2015 Explorer Limited
      Thank you, Peter. Yes, good point. I don't plan on leveling or almost leveling the car like they did. light would be a real bad issue especially without the headlights leveling scroll.