Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

So my wife just got a 2015 Explorer, and since we both enjoy off roading in the desert, I wanted to throw on some rims and bigger tires...maybe lift it a bit...a quick Google image search didn't give many examples of how the newer explorers look with a lift... Anyone care to share some pics of their newer style explorers with lift kits and/or off road tires??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my wife just got a 2015 Explorer, and since we both enjoy off roading in the desert, I wanted to throw on some rims and bigger tires...maybe lift it a bit...a quick Google image search didn't give many examples of how the newer explorers look with a lift... Anyone care to share some pics of their newer style explorers with lift kits and/or off road tires??
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. Post #266 is one of the more 'aggressive' ones I've seen.
There are more threads you can find with the 'Search' feature in the upper right.
Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels
All Terrain Tires

Peter

hi
Has anyone lifted their 16 Sport? If so and problems or concerns to watch for. I would like to adds 2.5/1.5 lift to mine.

I bought my wife a 2017 XLT Sport and put the Truxxxx lift on it, 2.25 front and 1.25 rear with 285/50/20 Cooper HT Plus, it sits nicely. After reading some of the forums here and there I’m debating taking the lift off. I’m reading some negative reviews in regards to the front axles, CV joints, etc going bad quickly. I don’t want that.
Just curious to know if the ones having front end issues, are doing a lot off-roading or just regular driving..?
Appreciate your response

Most SUV/truck are purposely not level. This allows for carrying weight in the back while keeping the light beam on the road and out of oncoming traffic's eyes at night.
The change in tires exceeds the accepted maximum diameter variance of 3% at 3.9%. I guess it is possible that suspension parts etc may go bad prematurely. If they do and the reason is attributed to the "lift", those parts will not qualify for warranty coverage. That would also apply to the Powertrain Warranty. It is all explained in your Warranty Guide brochure.

Peter

Thanks for the reply, I see a lot of others putting bigger tires over the maximum of 3%, In my opinion I think the 3.9% is not that much of difference, only 1.18 in height. I understand braking, speed, drivetrain and trans, etc might be of concern but if I’m correct most sports, I know ours did, are equipped with heavy duty rotors, pads and ours is equipped with the Tow pkg. I’ve had my neighbor who had been a mechanic for over 50yrs check the axles and CV and he said there isn’t much strain at all. I’m just hearing others complaint about the lift and I’m curious how they drive them.
Thanks again for replying

Do have another question, if I take off the lift would the tires I just purchased 285/50/20 still fit, I do have a lot of tire well available.

Last edited:

I know two guys from my local explorer club, who did a spacer lift one of them 3cm front and 1.5 cm rear, the other 2.5(1") front and 1 cm rear. the spacers are made of solid aluminum fabricated/ machined for the shocks and their mounts in shop. both of them said they heard no noises at all after and felt no difference in mileage. of course both are conservative lifts.
guys, this car is amazing in sand, even very soft relatively steep dunes. thing really surprised me I did not see that performance coming from the front biased open diff explorer. anyway, after i tried that thing in the dunes, I was sure i wanted to lift it a bit as this car deserves better clearance and definitely a better approach angle, what with that pathetic approach angle?

My question to people of knowledge and experience here. help a brother out. what's a good lift height that will not affect the longevity of the drive axle joints? how high can i go while maintaining the same ride and hearing no new noises, and without stressing at all the C.V joints.
thanks everyone.

I went with the Truxxx lift ...2.5 front and 1.25 rear and it now sets up a better, like the clearance as well. I did do alignment after I put 285/50/20 tires on it.

Does anyone know if they make a body or suspension lift for a 2017 Explorer Platinum ?
It’s the same lif
Thanks for all the great information. I read the complete thread.

I'm intrigued to go ahead and order the lift kit. But I want to get new tires as well.

I have a '13 XLT with stock 18" alloys and stock 245/60 tires.

My question is, what would be the biggest and best fit (with almost no trimming involved) tire that I could get to go along with the this lift?

I don't want to purchase new rims.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I will 100% post pics once I get all this done.

I put 285/50/20 on our 2017 XLT Sport with the Truxxxx lift

Greetings. New 2016 Explorer Sport owner and member. The info and conversations have been really helpful overall, so thanks in advance.

Like a lot of people in this thread, I’m trying to get more ground clearance without an extensive suspension system upgrade, and have been looking at 4WD 2.5”/1.5” leveling kits. I would do the recommended alignment post install.

My goal is to use the lift/level as an intermediary step to see if I like it and before commititing to different wheels/tires. I currently drive with the OEM 20” Hankook P255-50-R20s.

My questions are:

- do folks prefer Traxda or Truxx?

Seems like one company may have become the other, but product pricing varies greatly.

- lift/level results/reviews/comments range between “great/love it” to “I’m ripping it out.”

What gives? Regardless of increased vertical height, is the lift worth the potential damage to the vehicle?

Any clarity would be appreciated before an approx $1k investment. Thanks!

Rich

Welcome to the Forum Rich.:wave:
As for levelling kits, please see my post #465 on this page. Good luck.

Peter

I went with the Truxxx lift ...2.5 front and 1.25 rear and it now sets up a better, like the clearance as well. I did do alignment after I put 285/50/20 tires on it.

Hey - how did the lift work out on the 2016 Explorer? About to do the same thing on a Sport model.

Welcome to the Forum Rich.:wave:
As for levelling kits, please see my post #465 on this page. Good luck.

Peter

Peter - thanks for the note. It looks like Post#465 speaks more to headlight placement/impact than the benefit of the lift itself, or am I not reading it correctly? Appreciate the insights!

Rich

Hello all, not much in this thread about adjusting the camber/caster. I’ve had my Traxda lift for a couple months and I have lost almost all my outside tread already on the front tires. Traction is noticeably decreased esp in the rain.
Is there an existing adjustment for camber or is there a camber adj kit that I need to purchase? Cheers
16 XLT Fwd, front and rear lift, airlift helper bags.

Hello all, not much in this thread about adjusting the camber/caster. I’ve had my Traxda lift for a couple months and I have lost almost all my outside tread already on the front tires. Traction is noticeably decreased esp in the rain.
Is there an existing adjustment for camber or is there a camber adj kit that I need to purchase? Cheers
Of course that would happen my friend. The control arms are "pushed down" with the lift right? So they pivot and you get nasty positive camber. Just get them aligned. I wouldn't wait a day after install especially with an aggressive lift like traxda.

Alright guys time for my contribution to this thread.
First attempt was with fabricated aluminum spacers 2cm front and back. Worked but the lift in the rear was more aggressive than front. So it was slightly tipped forward. You'd feel it when you're sitting.
The real problem was that the ride was harsher especially the rear. Felt like it was just so wound up back there in the coils. Did not like that at all.

Second shot at this was PU spacers from ebay. 3cm front 2cm rear. Leveled the car way better but not enough. Now let me tell u what I learner about spacers. Never get anything other than PU. Polyurethane is forever, that's the first advantage. But the greatest advantage was the ride quality. That care rode so much better than stock with pu spacers.
The car felt like the rear was plenty lifter(for my purpose) but the front needed an ever so light additional lift. So I found someone else selling the 4cm front struts and got those. Now I ended up with 4cm in the front and 2cm in the rear all polyurethane. Then I put on tires 255/55R20 which is exactly 3% from stock so still within recommend circumference and it gave some more lift and side wall(1.25cm) . And filled the wheel well nicely.
The lift super works. no sacrifices at all so far.
I can approach obstacles way more confidently now. Gained lots of ride softness too. No regrets Al all. Plus the peace of mind of having a set of semi indestructible material for spacers.
Thanks to boominXplorer for all the invaluable tips.

Is there an adjustment for camber? Where is it located? Or is there a camber adj kit that I need purchase? Cheers

There has to be a means to adjust camber. I’m sure any qualified alignment shop would know how to do it properly.

Hi guys, i am new at the forum. I own a 2013 explorer xlt aws and intersted to. Instal the traxda lift kit 2.25 front and 1.5.
rear. Any advice? I am concerned about CVinner joint angle?

I did the Traxda. I had a little rumble from the cv until I installed the camber bolt on the lower strut mount and aligned it then it smoothed out. Just one camber bolt is needed for the top bolt on the lower mount. I dialed it in before taking it to Les S... as there’s no charge if they don’t have to adjust it.

Hi guys, i am new at the forum. I own a 2013 explorer xlt aws and intersted to. Instal the traxda lift kit 2.25 front and 1.5.
rear. Any advice? I am concerned about CVinner joint angle?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back