Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

Slap a frame under it and you can go as high as you want.

r01ijl.jpg

Genius! Look at all that storage between the frame and the body! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And look at all that "extra clearance". ;)

Aren't they unibody....?

Semi-unibody. Take a look under the vehicle. There are front and rear "frame" assemblies for the suspension and axle assemblies that mount to the body with conventional body mounts. It looks like you might be able to replace those mounts with thicker ones for a sort of body lift.

Semi-unibody. Take a look under the vehicle. There are front and rear "frame" assemblies for the suspension and axle assemblies that mount to the body with conventional body mounts. It looks like you might be able to replace those mounts with thicker ones for a sort of body lift.

Ok I will have to look under and figure out something i am not wanting to jack it way up, but just keep the front air dams intact when i take it out on the beach, and stop scrubbing it on curbs, i thought buying the 4x4 package would give me more clearance than the ones i saw at the dealership.

Most cars have a rear and frount suspinoin frams still a unibody and it not a good i dear to do that just get coil spacer if they have them out yeat

i ended up taking mine off and trimming like TomTom. Pull off and make a straight cut on the inside of the trim with an exacto knife.
Bend the piece back to create a split and it should pop like cutting tile. wasnt too difficult.

i ended up taking mine off and trimming like TomTom. Pull off and make a straight cut on the inside of the trim with an exacto knife.
Bend the piece back to create a split and it should pop like cutting tile. wasnt too difficult.

Do you have any pics? How much additional clearance does this buy you, and is there any downside to this mod? Wondering why Ford wouldn't have done that in the design?

because ford prolly design it like that for better fuel economy....i personally don't see how it would make a big enough impact....so mine will be getting trimmed as soon as i get around to it...

Hmm....you know it could possibly be due to low tire pressure. If a vehicle sits at the dealer and its a demo I doubt they make sure that the air pressure is exact to OEM everytime someone else drives it.

I check weekly or bi-weekly to ensure my air pressure is an even 35 sometimes I go up to 36psi. This way when I go to check it due to high temps and then severe temp drops resulting in pressure drops. Just wanted to point that out.

Hi, does it just snap off? I can see bottom snaps but what about the top piece?
Thanks.

Hi, does it just snap off? I can see bottom snaps but what about the top piece?
Thanks.

hey guys, sorry for the delay. I will get some pics and direction put together. It is a very easy DIY project and should only take about 30 min.

The lowest fascia piece that drags on parking stops, is removable and can be trimmed.

Ill try and put pics and directions up by tonight.

Lift or Leveling Kits? beefy tires?

I posted here a while back about this and i thought id check back with the community.

Has anyone lifted or leveled out their 2011+ EX? I would love to put 1-1.5 inch lift to my front end to give it a sportier 4wd look. Its a little soccer momish looking right now.

Secondly, has anyone replaced your stock tires with some that have a beefyier tread? I loved BFG All Terrains on my old EX and am very sad that they wont fit my new EX. I have 245/60/18

Pics of mods related to any of the above mentioned would be appreciated.

i tried to remove the bottom trim piece last night to make the cut, and i couldn't get it off.....i removed all the bolts on the underside of the trim, but it seems like i had 4 clips (2 on each side) that i couldn't remove and i didn't want to break, so i put everything back together......

i'm now wanting to just use a dremel tool and just cut it that way. help.

i tried to remove the bottom trim piece last night to make the cut, and i couldn't get it off.....i removed all the bolts on the underside of the trim, but it seems like i had 4 clips (2 on each side) that i couldn't remove and i didn't want to break, so i put everything back together......

i'm now wanting to just use a dremel tool and just cut it that way. help.

ill take pics tomorrow in the daylight (been raining all day). and post directions for you. no need to dremel =) those clips are removable AND reusable.

i figured the clips were removable but i couldnt get them to come off and didn't wanna break them...

As promised, here are complete directions and photos on removal and trimming of the lower fascia.

This DIY is a good alternative solution if your EX bottoms out easily on your driveway, or your wife/ girlfriend prefers to use parking stops to stop the vehicle instead of the brake =)

Comments welcomed. PM if your confused. These directions are about as simple as i could possibly make them.

DIY project at your own risk! i will not take fault for mistakes you make to your own vehicle. NOTE: this is not difficult.

Secondly, In 3 months, i have NOT noticed any significant change in MPG's with this alteration.

Link to Directions: https://umdrive.memphis.edu/jcerrion/public/Lower Fascia Trim Instructions.pdf

These are great. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. One question, why not just take that lower fascia piece off and leave it off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

two reasons:
1. In my opinion, It provides a certain level of protection for the oil pan coolant scoop (underneath the vehicle & lowest point on the vehicle) This is the big vent underneath. And the reason there is a cut out rectangle in the fascia. it acts as an air scoop and directs cool air up into the engine from below.

I actually, took this scoop off and havent replaced it yet. I took it off because it is so low to the ground that im afraid it will scrape or be damaged by any high speed bumps or other objects. I havent noticed any engine temp or MPG differences in 3 months either. I dont think they will even be included on the 2013. Its obsolete in my opinion.

2. once you take yours off, youll see why it should go back on. Once off, there are several framing components, holes, and plastic body joints that become exposed. Makes the front end look goofy and incomplete. Trust me, youll want it back on. It just smooths out the lines and appearance of the front of the vehicle.

Back