Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

lifting a 2011 or 2012

Hey if anyone wants to lift a 2011 or a 2012 ex, you send the money, and Ill do the lift. will build a frame, real axels, or what ever you wan't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool. Bronco II, boredom zero.

Liftable. Sounds like an adventure in warranty-voiding and increased rollover potential.

wait... you not a Ford Lawyer are you? :scratch:

Rollover potential is just a P.C. word for idiot trying to drive his SUV like a car. Well now thanks to the idiots we can look forward to our brand new Explorer Car.

Soccer Moms rejoice....

Bronco, with the original size and styling cues would be AWESOME!!!
Now that, I would be interested in.... :salute:

I think a better candidate for making a wheeler would be an Edge. Shorter wheelbase and lighter.

2011_butcher.jpg

2004 Ford Bronco Concept Car
ford_bronco.jpg

ford_bronco_front_zoom.jpg

bronco_rear.jpg

they would need to add at least a half door with full back seats though

Exceeding the 3% diameter difference increases the risk of brake failure.:roll:

Peter

Hey Peter :) Could you elaborate, I have never heard that before. Thanks.

Hey Vince. That is the warning that pops up on the 1010tires.com site anytime that the difference between the tire sizes you enter into their program exceeds a diameter difference of 3%. I have also had tire people mention the 3% limit.
The thinking is that when using plus sizes that you keep the overall tire diameter within 3% of the OEM tires. This is very important because larger differences can affect the transmission shift points, decrease fuel mileage and may also lead to confusing braking system computers which can even lead to brake failure.
And, as EX-SV mentioned, increasing the height will also change the centre of gravity thus making the vehicle more prone to rollover.:roll:

Peter

This came out at the same time that Ford sent teams of engineers with our group to see what we wanted in an offroad worthy Ford product. At the time they were looking at building a "Jeep Eater", those were their words.

Ford_EX_concept_rear.jpg

2001 Ford EX Concept

Sign In to see what this sold for
OFFERED WITHOUT RESERVE

375 bhp, 4.0 liter SOHC supercharged V6 engine, five-speed manual transmission, independent dual coil over reservoir shock absorber front and rear suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 100"

- Light, nimble, go-anywhere concept
- Chrome moly frame with roll cage
- Supercharged V6 power

In the Fall of 1999, Ford launched a “no boundaries” ad campaign for its sport utility vehicles, emphasizing outdoor adventures and the ways that Ford vehicles could enhance the experience. The EX concept, first shown at Detroit’s 2001 North American International Auto Show, was aimed at off-road adventures of the extreme kind.

A two-seat vehicle built on a tubular chrome moly frame, the EX has brief composite body panels and a honeycomb-texture front grille surmounted by four round high-intensity driving lights. A bronze-tinted windshield folds down and clips to the hood, giving the intense experience of open-air driving.

This extreme experience does not compromise safety. The frame includes a full roll cage, and occupants are strapped into their seats with four-point harnesses. Dual air bags are located in the steering wheel and on the instrument panel. The instruments are mounted on the steering column, which swings from side to side for easy entry and exit. A removable storage bin bridges the rear suspension while an additional bin is located beneath the instrument panel. There are map pockets at the side to store other equipment.

Seats are upholstered in black-and-tan all-weather material, which is sun-, ozone- and water-resistant. The floor, which features integrated molded rubber non-skid pads, has drain plugs so it can be hosed out when necessary.

Drivetrain elements are located to achieve 50/50 front/rear weight distribution. The engine is a supercharged version of Ford’s 4.0 liter SOHC V6, developing 375 bhp and an extraordinary 410 lb-ft of torque. The five-speed manual transmission delivers power to each of the four wheels through a central transfer case. Minimal overhang allows a 52.5-degree angle of approach and a 90-degree angle of departure. The modest weight of 2,600 pounds and 50-50 distribution make the EX supremely nimble.

This vehicle runs and drives, but the clutch is in need of repair. It is not DOT or EPA certified, cannot be registered for highway use in the United States, and is offered on bill of sale only.

Offered by the Ford Motor Company. Sale proceeds to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and The Children’s Center. More information is available here.

Obviously it wasn't an SUV, but it did show that at one time their head was in the right place. Ford sent teams of engineers with us on three offroad runs. The teams consisted of about a dozen Ford employees from various departments such as frame, transmission, Explorer team leader, etc. They joined us first in Colorado, then at Truck Haven where they brought the brand new 2001 Explorer Sport Trac, and finally in Moab Utah.

We had a great time with them and would love for them to join us again. Hopefully next time we can convince them to build something for us!! What I believe happened was the Firestone tire fiasco turned Ford away from the idea of doing any kind of offroad Explorer since that would be more of a liability:rolleyes:. I could be wrong on that, but the timing sure made me think that was the issue.

thaven_jackets.jpg

thaven_sprttraclift.jpg

BTW, the Sport Trac above was brought out to our 4x4 run before it was ever introduced at the Detroit Auto Show! The Sport Trac pictured above was the vehicle they used for the intro. They had to fix the side steps before the show though as they used them as nerf bars during our 4x4 event.

The Ford Team was not afraid to put the pedal to the metal to get that thing up every obstacle they tried it on. It was amazing to see what the vehicle could do when the driver wasn't afraid of breaking his truck. More amazing was that nothing broke.

They came prepared though... They brought along another 2nd gen Explorer which was loaded with spare parts, along with a mechanic to wrench on it if needed.

At the same event Explorer Express brought their Explorer:
thaven_explorerx.jpg

And Trail Master brought theirs to show off their then new lift kit:

thaven_tmstrstage.jpg

Here is a link to the trip report: Ford Explorer Truck Haven 2000 Salton City California Page 1

Ahh yes..liability. That wonderful word that keeps corporations from being innovative... :rolleyes:

That would be so awesome if they made a new bronco, but it would have to be full sized and truely off-road worthy with a big V8. Otherwise it would just be like the new explorers that in my opinion have turned an off-road machine into a soccermom's car.

wait... you not a Ford Lawyer are you? :scratch:

Rollover potential is just a P.C. word for idiot trying to drive his SUV like a car. Well now thanks to the idiots we can look forward to our brand new Explorer Car.

Soccer Moms rejoice....

Bronco, with the original size and styling cues would be AWESOME!!!
Now that, I would be interested in.... :salute:

No, no law degree.

Lifted and even easier to roll, yes it happens on the street because they hit something big (like a 5" curb). Thanks to those leaving wreakage.

Note: we already have the car-based Explorer in 2011.

Soccer Moms needing something bigger than CRV rejoice, yes:thumbsup:

Bronco II, doing it right, now that would be great.

The Explorer has always fought the soccer mom branding. I think Ford finally bought into it and designed around that.

<-- Not Peter, but...

Noticeably larger tires, with the original brakes will cause the brakes to have to work harder (the larger diameter tires have more leverage that the brakes have to fight against.)
Thus, the potential to overheat the brakes... causing fluid (or any water in the fluid) to boil and render the brakes nearly useless.

It's a POTENTIAL problem though... not a guaranteed one. A mild driver that just wants bigger tires for looks, and doesn't tow anything might never see any problem.

Thanks for the info guys. This place is great! :thumbsup:

Thats what I am talking about now, but I dont think I will goto that high, I want mines to still have the stock feeling and height somewhere between 8.6 - 9.0

I think a better candidate for making a wheeler would be an Edge. Shorter wheelbase and lighter.

2011_butcher.jpg

Anything is "liftable" just gonna be more $ than something older.
^ that thing looks sick! Wouldn't mind that in my garage.

Does anyone have a part number or know where I can get replacements for the retainer pins that hold on the lower fascia?

I had my EX parked for a little over a week while I was out of town and when I backed out of the parking spot the lower fascia got hung up on the parking stop. Pulled the right side clean off, mangling two of the retainers in the process. I removed it completely for now and have trimmed it per the instructions I found here, but I can't reattach it without some new retainers.

Does anyone have a part number or know where I can get replacements for the retainer pins that hold on the lower fascia?

I had my EX parked for a little over a week while I was out of town and when I backed out of the parking spot the lower fascia got hung up on the parking stop. Pulled the right side clean off, mangling two of the retainers in the process. I removed it completely for now and have trimmed it per the instructions I found here, but I can't reattach it without some new retainers.

go to fordparts.com

Your looking for part number "HM2" priced at $7.60 per it seems. See image below for the parts diagram and pic of the part your looking for.

Good luck. FYI fordparts is going to be you best option if you want the exact same thing. Otherwise im sure you could find something at a hardware store and paint black. If it were me id just cough up the dough for the OEM parts.

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go to fordparts.com

Your looking for part number "HM2" priced at $7.60 per it seems. See image below for the parts diagram and pic of the part your looking for.

Good luck. FYI fordparts is going to be you best option if you want the exact same thing. Otherwise im sure you could find something at a hardware store and paint black. If it were me id just cough up the dough for the OEM parts.

picture.php

I see the diagram that calls out the part number, but I can't find any pricing or where to order it...

Back