• Register Today It's free!

Lights Remain ON at all times

jlbanderasb

Reaction score
City, State
Yuma Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Hi, on my 02 XLT Explorer I'm seeing that lights are ON all time (day or night). Sensor is not even sensing or if it is, lights are not turning off during daylight time. Before, when this system was working properly, right after the key was removed, lights remain ON for few seconds, now light come off right after the key is removed......I verified that harness is properly attached to the sedor and that both (dome and sensor) are clean.....Of course my ligh selector switch is set in AUTO.

Could somebody help me? could it be a fuse issue?

Thank you.

Jorge

I am going to assume that you do not have Daytime Running Lights. One fuse (22) powers the headlight controls and headlights themselves.

In 2002, there are 2 different wiring diagrams, one for early 2002 and one for late.

Early 2002: The sunload sensor feeds it's input into the GEM (generic electronic module). The GEM signals the Headlamp Relay which is located in the Battery Junction Box. If the sensor was bad it would just make the lights stay on anytime, but would not impact the normal delay off. If the relay is stuck "on" then headlights would be on even with key off. So this points to the GEM.

Late 2002: The sunload sensor feeds it's input into the Central Security Module. A microprocessor there powers the headlamp relay also located same place. Similar to above, this points to the Central Security Module.

If you do have Daylight Running lights, maybe they accidentally go activated. There is a procedure to that.

As for the time delay, this is setable in the Message Center. See if the time delay has been reduces to 0.

Back