• Register Today It's free!

Little help with tensioner

davemengel

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I started the process on replacing my forward timing tensioner (just the tensioner, not the chain guides) and after removing the intake manifold found that the tensioner installed looks like the one I replaced in the rear with the flush top. The replacement tensioner has the longer extension out of the top. The part number for the part I bought is 7U3Z-6K254-B. After reading various threads I am led to believe that Ford didn't use the same part forward and rear. Is it possible that someone replaced it with the wrong part?

photobucket-4655-1311522435756.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, its a 98 Sport obviously a 4.0 SOHC. Any help would be appreciated.

Please help!! is there a way you can change a rear timing chain for a 2001 ford ranger with out taking the engine out

Cool...so it looks like I got the right part...but someone put the wrong one in before I bought it...

Budz as far as I know thats the best way...I've heard others say dropping the tranny will work...either way its a big job...

Original tensioner?

Cool...so it looks like I got the right part...but someone put the wrong one in before I bought it...

That may be the original tensioner installed. It was modified in later years to be significantly longer.

That may be the original tensioner installed. It was modified in later years to be significantly longer.

+1

The 97 engine I have here is all original. Its got the old style (short) tensioner in the front. The longer one is the correct (upgraded) replacement.

Budz as far as I know thats the best way...I've heard others say dropping the tranny will work...either way its a big job...

Thanks a lot davemengel for your response more power to you. May i ask another question how can i take out the the fuel line on top of the engine im stuck right now trying to figure it out. im on the way clearing everything to pull my engine out. please help again thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot davemengel for your response more power to you. May i ask another question how can i take out the the fuel line on top of the engine im stuck right now trying to figure it out. im on the way clearing everything to pull my engine out. please help again thanks a lot.

photobucket-4655-1311522435756.jpg

Follow those lines down, you will find 2 spring lock connectors. Use this tool (or similar) to disconnect.

Q6Uo49y6FRYYx-MIhGa2ECUV2eSputr2IraIDl0ONsXP971BslpHNSnr3bXFXWyeD2oVe0dcLETBG8g92h85Gifg_HylIiQFMzR5bJ-FB4FpeWqJDXJVtZVLlQTk_lDfJp-ADGujJfyB_paG-aXAFx3EpYmPDhajaETyT5n_AjOqjRCbAur-VQwb

So I got the old tensioner out...new one's in and sounds alot better. Now I have a clicking or tapping noise thats coming from between the exhaust and the ignition coil pack. I don't have any arc from the wire to the engine. I would hate to have to tear this apart again. Any ideas?

quieter engine

So I got the old tensioner out...new one's in and sounds alot better. Now I have a clicking or tapping noise thats coming from between the exhaust and the ignition coil pack. I don't have any arc from the wire to the engine. I would hate to have to tear this apart again. Any ideas?

After reducing timing chain noise you'll likely to hear noises that were not previosly audible. You might have a slight exhaust leak. Try listening with a flexible hose length. Do you know the sound of the injectors?

now I pulled out my 2001 ford ranger 4.0 engine waiting for the rear timing chain to arrive. The upper part of the chain is tight and Im on TDC # 1 looks like its hard to put the new timing chain. Maybe somebody can help me about this.

This is definitely a new noise. Its not an injector. It sounds like one of those clicker toys or one of the clickers paratroopers used in WWII to identify themselves to other allied troops. I also have noticed an occasional miss when I hear the noise, but not always

Back