• Register Today It's free!

Locked in 4WD?

Underdog

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
I have a '91 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I decided to install a new radio. In the process to remove the existing radio, I unplugged the 4WD to get to it. I cut the wires to the radio, but couldn't figure out which speaker wires went to which speaker. So, since it was late, I plugged to 4WD back in, so it was ready to go to work in the morning. I noticed that the 4WD light on the dash, were dimmly lit up. While driving it to work, it felt like the brakes locked up. I knew that I needed brakes replaced, but hadn't done it yet. I took it to a mechanic to get the brakes replaced. He drove it after & called to say that it felt like the 4WD was engaged. That was actually my problem to begin with. He can't find out why it is engaged. He has unhooked the battery to reset it, but that didn't help. This all acted up after unhooking the 4WD. Had not had any problems with the 4WD engaging before that. Can't imagine that cutting the wires to the radio has anything to do with it? Any help would be appreciated!!!

the connector on the back of the 4wd switches is loose, take it out and wiggle it until the 4wd starts working right again. i had the same problem when i changed my radio.

-joshua

i did as well becase i had to unplug the conector and thake that dash bezzal off and i tihink dust got in the connector blew it out pugged it in and it works great exept for the crappy auto hubs which are going in the trash

Wires came out

All the wires came out of the 4x4 and low range switch on my dash. Anyone have the color codes to tell me which wires go to wich positions on the plug that plugs into the switches?. I did manage to keep trying till I got the 4x4 to work but no lights next to the switches.
1339_0562711148.jpg

Back