1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Locker Opinion

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by 97ExplorerXLTAWD, July 27, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 97ExplorerXLTAWD

97ExplorerXLTAWD Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    It will work for your 8.8. It should operate and handle much like a Powertrax Lockrite or Aussie locker since those are similarly designed. The 8.8 Spartan is a new model from what I understand, and unlike the previous 2 I mentioned there is no need to reuse the thrust washers in the carrier.

Some people say that a locked rear can be a bit squirrely in slick conditions if you get too heavy on the throttle. Google search "rear locker in the snow" and you'll get an idea. I haven't personally experienced issues like this with my Aussie locker but I've only driven it in dry/rainy weather. As long as you learn how it handles (say by practicing in a snowy parking lot) then you should be fine.

If you don't really offroad, some people would say a torque biasing limited slip such as the Eaton TrueTrac would be a better choice for snow. That is more expensive though, so I'd say research the pros and cons and make your decision on that.

Would be good to see some reviews from members on here on the 8.8 Spartan locker though, they're so new I haven't seen any information on them yet.

4. 97ExplorerXLTAWD

97ExplorerXLTAWD Member

City, State:
    Oklahoma
    1997 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
    cool. do u think this spartan would be good for general mud, or small hill climbing?

5. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    Definitely. That and anytime where you have ruts or uneven ground that would put you in a situation where you need traction but have 1 rear wheel in the air.