Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

longer shocks

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by jaywa, September 25, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. jaywa

jaywa New Member

City, State:
    gold coast queensland
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    ford explorer
    I've been scrolling for a while trying to find out if what shocks are slightly longer for a lift then the standard. Like a toyota land cruiser or something allong those lines. I've got longer king springs to go in but shocks aren't long enough. It's a 2003 v8 explorer. Mainly need front

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Ronin8002

Ronin8002 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    2008 XLT Ironman
    Rancho quicklifts have a longer travel than stock, especially the front ones. Not sure if longer springs will help you with those though. They already come with springs that are either a slightly higher rate and/or preload over stock shock that results in a small amount of lift.

4. extra-medium

extra-medium Active Member

City, State:
    Charlottesville, VA
    2002 Mercury Mountaineer
    As far as I know there are the stock length shocks and the quick lifts that are 1.5 inches longer. You won't get any lift from longer springs because they are a coilover design unless you get someone to modify some shocks/springs to fit for you. The other thing with the quicklifts is they will settle over time. I have the v6 so they haven't settled as much as they would with the v8.

5. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    My one experience with the quick lifts is that they are marginally longer than stock, only about ⅜" inch or so. As noted above the spring rate & length is different which is what raises the ride height.

6. jaywa

jaywa New Member

City, State:
    gold coast queensland
    ford explorer
    Yeah hence the 2" lift king springs that are made for this car in mind. But as mentioned I need shock absorbers that are physically longer then standard. These cars are extremely unpopular in australia so no one has modified any here bar a couple

7. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albany, Western Australia
    2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
    G'day mate, just wanted to let ya know that I started down this same route before BTF started making lift collars. Best advice I can give ya is return the kings for a refund and go BTF collars (2.25" front & 1.75" rear) It'll give what ya want with no settle and ya keep ya stock suspension. If ya want BTF upper control arms I got a set we can work a deal out on. PM if keen.

Best and cheapest option is BTF mate.

8. jaywa

jaywa New Member

City, State:
    gold coast queensland
    ford explorer
    I wanted it a little firmer cause I use it to tow and for motorbikes so needed a bit firmer but if not ill pinch some of a mates shocks from other cars and see what lines up for a lift. Yeah mate I'll be keen. If they're not to expensive. Got other cars I'm meant to be doing lol. I'll pm you

9. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albany, Western Australia
    2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
    No worries, ya probably wont need the arms if ya stick with the king springs mate.

Keep me in mind if ya go bigger lift.

PM replied to