look what the dealer did to my Explorer! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

look what the dealer did to my Explorer!

Everybody here is happy that it worked out for you in the end. Good luck with the new Explorer. What color is the new one? Does it have lower mileage than your old one? Did you have the new one checked out before you bought it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks, I know how you feel (first hand). Mine took a lot more damage than yours too, granted it wasn't worth anything before it happened. Take a look at the pictures in my registry...

Thanks for all of your interest in this mess. I really agree with many of your comments.

By the time I made it to the dealership this afternoon, they managed to dick me around for two hours before cutting me a check for my destroyed truck. Fortunately I was not upside down in the payments, and actually came out ahead on that count. The idiots, after wasting my time with poor service, then asked if I wanted to get a 2005 Explorer from them. I tried to restrain from exploding, and politely said "no". I then drove their loaner car over to the Ford dealer on the other side of town and bought a '05 Explorer that is actually a little better in terms of options and condition than the one they wrecked. This dealer was amazed by my story, and I got a great deal, coming out of the whole mess ahead of the game by a couple of $$ when it was all done. I checked the replacement vehicle VIN with Carfax, and it's clean. If anyone if interested, the last 6 characters of the VIN of the wrecked vehicle are B75901, in case they're looking at a used red 05 explorer.

Cheers, Gary

Great! Enjoy your new ride.

Thanks for all of your interest in this mess. I really agree with many of your comments.

By the time I made it to the dealership this afternoon, they managed to dick me around for two hours before cutting me a check for my destroyed truck. Fortunately I was not upside down in the payments, and actually came out ahead on that count. The idiots, after wasting my time with poor service, then asked if I wanted to get a 2005 Explorer from them. I tried to restrain from exploding, and politely said "no". I then drove their loaner car over to the Ford dealer on the other side of town and bought a '05 Explorer that is actually a little better in terms of options and condition than the one they wrecked. This dealer was amazed by my story, and I got a great deal, coming out of the whole mess ahead of the game by a couple of $$ when it was all done. I checked the replacement vehicle VIN with Carfax, and it's clean. If anyone if interested, the last 6 characters of the VIN of the wrecked vehicle are B75901, in case they're looking at a used red 05 explorer.

Cheers, Gary

Congrats on finding a replacement that you are happy with. Sounds like you have probably found a new servicing dealer too.

What was the dealers name that dropped your explorer?

I got a great deal, coming out of the whole mess ahead of the game by a couple of $$ when it was all done.

So with the check they cut you you weren't upside down, it was enough to pay off your old one, buy a new one and you still had some money left over?

start with offering a solution, then move onto a lawyer threat. follow it up with finding a lawyer. most dealers will try to help you out. just let them know you dont want it fixed. because it will show up on a carfax that the vehicle has been damaged and will devalue the vehicle. I would make sure I kept all info and got a new or slightly used ford from them.

Congrats on the new X, im looking into an 03' as we speek.

funny enough I had a similar incident with a jet-ski last summer

I bought my ski on a Monday for 3200 then by Friday afternoon it was split in half!

The marina where i used to work dropped it from 35-40 feet up on a piling and a 4 x 12.

Took 8 months of bickering, fighting and lawyers to get a check, i wasn't even fighting with the marina it was ALL the insurance company!

But yea, i ended-up buying and fixeing my X with the money!

yeah but getting a lawyer wouldnt really be that great..especially for a car that cost what?25k new??if you get that price expect at least 30% for the lawyer plus any paperwork or such that needs to be done..i'd say get them to fix the body damage as long as its only the body that has been damaged, and by the pics it looks that way..best of luck to ya tho

you forget...the losing party has the burden of covering the attorney fees on both sides and court cost....;)

and you also forget, damage seen by the naked eye might not be all that is wrong with it. i am sure there was frame damage too...falling off a lift and hitting the ground with that kind of impact. like sled said, it would also show up on your carfax report...and scare away alot of buyers. i would have wanted the full blue book and then it applied to a wholesale dealer cost new truck. anything less would have gotten me to the closest phone book looking for a lawyer.

i just expect the dealership to take care of my car/truck when i drop it off. if they screw up, they had better be ready to please the "customer" or suffer greater losses and the word would be out on them and hurt them even more with loss of business and reputation....:cool:

I just got my '05 X used from a dealer in November, and had this happened to me, I would have expected them to (a) forgive the loan on it, give me a check for bluebook, and send me on my way, or (b) Offer me a new X of my choice, take the old one, and call it even with the loan that I have standing on the '05.

Otherwise, the dealer's making out with the better end of the deal for their mistake, and I'd be on the phone with a lawyer.

start with offering a solution, then move onto a lawyer threat. follow it up with finding a lawyer. most dealers will try to help you out. just let them know you dont want it fixed. because it will show up on a carfax that the vehicle has been damaged and will devalue the vehicle. I would make sure I kept all info and got a new or slightly used ford from them.

Ummm....you're a little late...he already has been paid off by the dealer and has bought another explorer....might help if you read all the posts before posting.....:D

the new ride

Well, folks, after all the irritation was done and I got the check from the dealer, it was time to turn the page. The new ride was a great deal and the people I dealt with on the replacement (Central Ford Truck in Lansing, MI) are outstanding folks. The new ride is shown below and I'm now ok with closing the book on this whole sad mess. I'll keep you posted on how the new X runs, but it drives like the old one.

Cheers, Gary

DSC01406.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/gjblanchard/DSC01407.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/gjblanchard/DSC01409.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/gjblanchard/DSC01412.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/gjblanchard/DSC01413.jpg

:D :thumbsup:

Well, folks, after all the irritation was done and I got the check from the dealer, it was time to turn the page. The new ride was a great deal and the people I dealt with on the replacement (Central Ford Truck in Lansing, MI) are outstanding folks. The new ride is shown below and I'm now ok with closing the book on this whole sad mess. I'll keep you posted on how the new X runs, but it drives like the old one.

Cheers, Gary

DSC01406.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/gjblanchard/DSC01407.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/gjblanchard/DSC01409.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/gjblanchard/DSC01412.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/gjblanchard/DSC01413.jpg

very sweet is it paid off or do you owe money on it..,
just curious cause that makes a huge difference right there,,

Your new X looks just like mine, glad to hear you made out ok! I switches to central ford truck after problems with service at GL ford. central ford service has been great and has extended hrs. what dealer wrecked your X so i can avoid them.

what dealer wrecked your X so i can avoid them.

haha that is equivalent to saying which road were you on when you got into an accident so i can avoid that road..

I like that one muuch better than the other one. Glad to see things worked out for the best and you made out in the end.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here is what i was figuring out before.

lets say they gave him a check for the value of the truck....$20,000
they fix it up and get their money back when they put it on their used truck lot and someone else bought it. meanwhile.... for the inconvenience, they offer him a new truck at their cost in which that $20,000 check would cover that for a 2007 and they don't lose anything except pleasing a customer who had to endure an accident that wasn't his fault. sure accidents happen, but they could have offered something to show that they were sorry for it and not be out much except embarrassment for it but that would have been over-looked had they fessed up to it and made a deal. it would have gone a long way in showing future customers that hey take care of their customers.

Back