Looking at a 2006. Any opinions on this one? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a 2006. Any opinions on this one?

Confirming what Tech said
I used Spectra CU2816, it was $ 190 with free shipping.
I replaced it at 150k, now I just crossed 193k, no problems, tranny lines fit perfectly.
I did not remove anything AC related, I also did it with the fan in place, but it would help a lot if I removed it. The biggest problem I had was putting the new one in, as the brackets holding it at the bottom were not designed in the best way, so I ended up trimming them a little so next time it will be much easier. Or maybe removing the fan would solve that.
I spend half the time replacing the hoses since I had it all apart, and connecting the upper hose was a b*.
Otherwise, it's a normal "driveway" job.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I pull either my personal enclosed trailer or my son's boys scout troop 6x12 trailer all the time and it does great.
I installed a small homeowner Fisher plow just to plow my driveway (and neighbors sometimes) and it also does the job within its limits - it's not commercial heavy duty truck/plow combo so I do not wait for 2 feet of snow, but try to plow every 6-8 inches if it's steady snow.

See my youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Jy9xn-VD4

EXPL, it looks like you waited for a little more than 6-8" that time? That plow is pretty nifty but I couldn't get a handle on which way you were pushing the snow. It looked like you were going from the street, down toward the house?

When you ended your runs was it because you got the pile where you wanted it or because you couldn't push it any further?

I always try to push downhill on my driveway to make it easier. Yeah, I believe it snowed all night then, and when I woke up it was too late. The beauty of living on the East Coast :)
What you do not see on that clip is that I have hedges at the end.

Some years it's really bad, the pile is few feet high, kids are happy, I am not.
IMG_1565_zps1dfc4a6f.jpg

IMG_1563_zps5f4ce89c.jpg

IMG_1569_zps7fcbb28a.jpg

Yeah...I owned my 07 ST for just a couple days when I noticed the antifreeze level low. Ended up replacing the rad myself. Didn't remove the fan and all went well. My trans lines came out easy enough with some old plastic round inserts I have had for several years now. I swapped in my original fittings anyway, after hearing others complain about leaks, so didn't even need to free the lines from the fittings.

What will really get you is if you want to make sure your transmission fluid is full. Also a video for that. I got really good at doing it without burning myself after having to add and check several times with it at idle, warm and in park. Mercon SP was found at Advance Auto.

Take your time and take a break, if you need to, when you go to put the new one back in. It will all line up nicely.

A little surface rust here & there on the frame doesn't bother me. I can see some obvious patina on the trailer hitch, rear lower arms, and maybe above the license plate coming from behind the trim. With that I'd suggest having them put it up on a lift to get a closer look, or better yet you taking it elsewhere for an independent inspection. I know Nebraska can be tough with the salt in the winter. The Kumho Solus KR21's tires on it are among the 'least expensive' 18's and aren't that great of a tire, tread looks low anyway. I had them & would not recommend. Fog lights (condensation) will need pulled out and re-sealed with silicone, found some threads here on how to do just that, easy.

I'd definitely have the spark plugs changed out as part of the sale. Even though its cold out, don't forget to check the AC, power windows and moonroof to be functional. It looks like a well taken care of truck and to be pretty well loaded up, less the heated windshield - those are $$$ to replace. If you do buy it, I think I still have my old shifter so I can send you the missing OverDrive button if you want it. I replaced mine with the Ford Flex shifter, looks waaaay better.

I looked up the Ford Flex shifter and you're right....it looks MUCH better! It looks similar to my wife's Expedition shifter, which I really like and was hoping the 06 would be the same but it's not.

Where did you get yours? How tough to change? Did you have to change the whole mechanism or just the upper part? What year Flex? I've found some on ebay for cheap: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...e:Ford|Model:Flex&hash=item35e1b46ef4&vxp=mtr

In the mean time, I might take you up on your offer. Really missing the OD/off function for in town driving. The six speed is constantly hunting it seems.

Looked over that post you linked....thanks a lot!

I don't see instructions on how to get the original off. Any tips?

Does that link I posted above to an ebay sale look like the correct part to buy?

D Hook -

You need to drill 2 small holes for the 2 4mm set screws that come with the new shifter (that is the correct shifter from Ebay BTW) in the metal post coming out of the shifter mechanism. Inside the hollow shifter post, there is a plastic rod that is moving up and down when you press the main trigger on the shifter. When you drill the new holes, you can't go thru the plastic rod, just thru the metal walls of the tube. You need to do it from both sides. I did not tap the holes, I just use the set screws as the tap tool.

PS: If you are replacing the shifter, are you still looking for the OD switch ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-200...er&hash=item3cd8a0464f&vxp=mtr#ht_2406wt_1362

Thanks! Yes, I saw that on ebay also. I might get both the button and the Flex shifter. I can do the button pretty easy in the driveway with the weather the way it is right now. I think the shifter will take a little more time to do and I might wait for better weather to do that part.

Thanks again.

D Hook -

PS: If you are replacing the shifter, are you still looking for the OD switch ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-200...er&hash=item3cd8a0464f&vxp=mtr#ht_2406wt_1362

Today, I pulled my instruction manual out of the glove box and lo and behold, the OD button I was missing fell out of the glove box. Just the little button with O/D printed on it. Put it back into the switch and now I have that function back. Not sure if someone took it out intentionally (though I don't know why) or if it popped out by itself, which is doubtful since it feels pretty secure.

Still going to change over to the shifter from the Flex but now I can wait 'till the weather is more cooperative.

Took a little road trip this morning since getting it back from having the radiator replaced and the passenger side exhaust manifold replaced. Drove about 60 miles on the highway. Average MPG (according to the message center anyway) was 20.1 mpg. I'm okay with that. Everything ran smoothly and it handles like new. Lexus of Omaha did a great job getting everything sorted out and fixed, per our sales agreement. I'm thinking I did okay on this purchase. But I did purchase the extended power train warranty when I bought it, just in case.

I've missed this thread, glad to hear you found your missing button - if anyone needs mine still, please PM me.

One comment on the V8's 6-speed transmission: turning off O/D removes 5th and 6th, making for a pretty good gas hog. I only kill overdrive (and MPG) when trailering.

I only turn it off when I'm driving certain streets and the transmission seems to be hunting. But good to know about the MPG hit. I wasn't too sure how it would effect that.

What do you pull with yours?

Back