1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Looking at buying 01 Ranger. Advice?

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by BamakoJon, February 10, 2020 at 11:02 PM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. BamakoJon

BamakoJon New Member

City, State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 Ford Explorer, XLT
    Callsign:
    KI5DGM
    So I'm looking at buying a 2001 Ranger Edge Plus SuperCab 4.0 4WD with a stepside bed and 167,000 miles on it. I went to look at it this evening, and it seems pretty good apart from a few minor things that I would want to replace (like the cruise control buttons). My main concern is the SOHC 4.0 that it's got in it. I like the power, but I've heard very mixed reviews about their reliability. The guy is willing to sell to me for $2000, and I don't have a ton of extra money to play with, so I'd like to not have to replace an engine anytime soon. It sounded good when I got to run it, and didn't have a whole lot of oil and grime on the bottom. It was throwing a P0405 code, but that doesn't bother me too much as I can replace the EGR sensor fairly cheaply/easily myself.

The transmission and transfer case felt good, so I'm not worried about them. Any thoughts? I need to make a final decisions pretty soon.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    The 01 SOHC engine with regular maintenance and oil changes can see well over 250K miles
    How did the oil look?
    Is this a stick or automatic?

The EGR code being present does not point to stellar maintenance
    $2000 seems like a decent price depending on the condition of the truck and tires

4. BamakoJon

BamakoJon New Member

City, State:
    Birmingham, AL
    1999 Ford Explorer, XLT
    Callsign:
    KI5DGM
    it's an automatic. The oil looked pretty good. I figure it'll need some work, but similar trucks in my area are selling for about double the $2000, so I think I'm gonna do go for it. I'll post some pictures when I have it :)

I'll definitely be sure to change the oil with synthetic and get a good filter when I get it home. The tires are pretty good as well.

5. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    SOHC engine NEEDS full synthetic and should be changed 3000-5000 mile intervals. I use Motorcraft 820s filter only
    Consider changing timing chain tensioners, especially if there is ANY rattle noise at cold start. Ford brand tensioners ONLY
    Check condition of trans fluid and consider a full flush with new filter

6. BamakoJon

BamakoJon New Member

City, State:
    Birmingham, AL
    1999 Ford Explorer, XLT
    Callsign:
    KI5DGM
    does putting a heavier weight oil like 10w30 ever help them? Or should I be sure to only put 5w30? I'm just not familiar with this engine... from what I've read it sure is a whole lot pickier than the 4.0 OHV! I wish this truck had one of those. Do you know how hard it is to swap one into a ranger? I can't imagine it would be that difficult, as far as engine swaps go anyway...