Looking for 4th Gen. Purchasing Tips | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for 4th Gen. Purchasing Tips

This is a must IMO

OTC 6900 Ford Spark Plug Socket

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked it up and its says its a one piece with rubber inside. 9/16" !! All years using 9/16" plugs?? Can check here at this time but i have regular sockets for plugs and I find the rubber can and does come off left on the plug when pulling it off. If its still in the block you can't move to another plug with the rubber missing and get it out. I have used a tool with long flex shaft and three spring finger which reaches down and I grab the post of the plug to haul it out of the deep channel. Work well on my wife's Compass and other such designs so the rubber is not mandatory.

Never the less the one piece design is definitely a plus.

@Explorer_PL
Well he got home early and after I explain the water and seal issue. He looked long and hard and couldn't see any pool or wet area. He said the seal is ahead of the rear plugs and just behind the next row so any four could be affected. It was warmer and running it at idle still missing but hoping it dries up and is ok. Maybe some moisture got down past a COP. We're are not sure. I'd pull out one or two to see if it was here if its wet around them. But all look ok with the seal. We'll silicone it in place with black sealant later. He doesn't want to highway drive it like it is so I am not sure now. Maybe in the next few days it will have dried enough along with the engine warmed up again.

Thanks I sent the thread off to him. Don't know why drying etc the coil would not fix the problem for others. But once we read the codes I'd need to know which side the numbering starts from. Drivers front is cylinder #1 or....?

Standing in front
Passenger side by the air box is #1
Pass side by the fire wall is 4
Driver side by the battery is #5
Driver side by the firewall is #8

Great helps when assessing the codes if they are showing misfires.

Looks Like I am driving down to see if I can get it running properly now. I expect drying out affected coil areas will be first. I have a code reader to isolate the worst but seems the culprits cannot be more than the rear four.

I have dielectric grease but might see if I can find ignition drying spray or isopropanol to absorb the water, then blow dry it. Can get worst from my sons comment when he last drove it getting home.

I don't know if you've done them yet, but I just did the plugs on my 2010 4.6 (same as '09) and it was a piece of cake. 110,000 miles and they came right out (they creaked a little but that's it). I would get a spark plug socket to install otherwise it may be hard to get them in straight and you don't want to cross-thread. I also used a 1/4 torque ratchet because I think the manual called for inch-pounds instead of foot-pounds and I didn't want to over-tighten. I also used anti-seize on the threads.

No not yet.

This site has been down most or all yesterday!!

I cleared the issue. P0304 revealed itself and when I pulled the coil brown end out a ounce or so of water flowed out the boot. Ohhh MY, my son saw it and eyes opened up. LOL Even wider when I blew the plug hole with compressed air. the water was flying.

I did not remove the plug but dried everything out and using dielectric grease on the boot. top and bottom around the plug opening. I pulled the #4 cylinder coil but it was dry as as a bone. All was well after.

He drove here to my place last night (150km) and codes did not come back on and running good.

Back