Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Looking for an Engineering job in DC/VA area

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by have2goski, November 10, 2004.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. have2goski

have2goski Active Member

City, State:
    Columbus
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '91 Eddie
    I know it is a long shot but.....

I will be graduating in March '05 with a BS in Industrial Systems Engineering. I am in Ohio but am interested in the DC/VA job market. As you could imagine, most of the recruiters that come to our campus are from...you guessed it Ohio or other various Midwest locations. So I thought I would ask you guys/gals down in the DC/VA area if you know of any companies I should look into or any avenues for finding job postings for new graduates. If anybody has any suggestions at all please feel free to let me know. You can email or PM me or post here in the thread.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    i lived in fredericksburg (going home this wekeend) and got the washington post. want me to send you a newspaper?

4. have2goski

have2goski Active Member

City, State:
    Columbus
    '91 Eddie
    I can actually get into the Post classifieds online. Typically entry level positions aren't posted there though. It is useful in finding organizations that have IE departments though.

Many companies have gone to online methods for recruiting in addition to the typical campus recruiting. Many companies have set up websites where you can upload your resume or fill out an application. Problem is you can't do that unless you know of the company. My school holds career fairs which will often get you a stack of brochures from prospective employers, but I have to think there are more out there. I am seeking out companies that may not necessarily recruit from Ohio but are hiring recent IE grads.

5. SteveVB

SteveVB Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    04 Rubicon w/stuff
    Ill ask my project engineer brother if hes got any tips- he works for a defence contractor here who actually still make stuff- and he was looking for a position a year ago, so he may still have a lead list. I think that around here most of the mfr ops are somewhere else, although as you leave the DC area and head toward Baltimore or Richmond you will find more oportunities I think.

6. jared ajlouny

jared ajlouny Active Member

City, State:
    san jose, california
    '95 XLT 4X4
    go to craigslist.org and click the area you want to search. after that there is a scroll down thing and click jobs and type in what you want...good luck

7. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    '97 Limited
    Engineering jobs around here are tough to get. Really tough, very competative. What specific kind of engineering are you looking for. My brother in law is an engineer that worked out of Richmond, VA (worked for Virginia Power) until recently when they moved to NC. I'll see if he knows any contacts but probably Steve could find you more info.

Also gotta keep in mind its really expensive to live here, really expensive. Gotta keep that in mind when you're comparing salaries. You need $40k at least to live here comfortably, even on your own in a small apartment.

8. have2goski

have2goski Active Member

City, State:
    Columbus
    '91 Eddie
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input.

I am getting a degree in Industrial Systems Engineering. What IE's do can be applied to nearly any industry. My focus has been mostly about leaning operations out and finding ways to cut cost and waste in processes. I have done several real world projects through school as well as held a couple of internship/co-ops.

The reason I am looking in the DC area is my girlfreind will be graduating this spring with her masters in intelligence (for lack of a better description). As you can imagine there are a few agencies in the DC area she has been talking with. I have no doubt she will continue to get offers as she is one of the strongest candidates in her school. She already has offers but is sort of playing the feild a bit in both the public and private sectors to make sure she gets the job she wants not just a job. I am looking for anything within say an hour of DC. Doesn't really have to be in town. We wouldn't be trying to pay the crazy real estate prices on capital hill by any means. We had a freind do an internship over the summer there. He lived about 3 blocks from the capital building. He paid $1200 (his cut) a month in rent and had 16 roommates. :eek: