Looking for Koda | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for Koda

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Koda... ptf18 here (Lester) Have question for you and thought I'd go direct to you. I posted it under the Ranger forum as it pertains to my Ranger Edge.

I'll follow with more details as I'm off to a dentist appointment but here it is:

Fellows. Got the PO 306 code after a long idle in my '02 Range 3.0 V6 FLEX-Fuel engine.

Would like some ideas where to start "fixing" this.

I know its a mis-fire on the #6 cylinder
Thanks
ptf18

You know I stay up on ALL the maintenance, Trucks got 210ish mile on it. Runs good.

This code came up after I ran 2 FULL tanks of E85 thru it (Flex-Fuel engine). I've switched back to REAL gasoline.

I notice that the idle is "rougher" than normal (now) and I have got the code 3x. I clear it and it comes back maybe after driving the car couple hundred miles (mostly interstate driving).

I get a CEL light after I leave the truck idle for 3,4,5 minutes (like parked in the driveway NOT waiting on a stoplight)

I know this is a general code and would like some ideas where to start... ie check the plug,,, swap plug wires.... etc.

Thanks.
Lester

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I don't know anything about the 3.0L engine or owning a flex-fuel vehicle, but I'd start with the basic checks that I'd do for any misfire.

1. Swap the plug wire around with another cylinder to see if the misfire follows.

2. Replace the spark plug for cylinder 3

3, Do a compression test on cylinder 3

If the problem persists consider swapping the fuel injector with another cylinder to see if the problem follows. Note: get some new FI O-rings for this swap.

The above tests will cost you next to nothing and should narrow down/pinpoint you problem.

in my experience when the misfire code comes that quickly it is usually a plugged/faulty injector
Always check the ignition first but with these trucks that code USUALLY = injector issue
See if you can listen to the number 6 injector clicking when running at idle

Check the wiring to the injector

Test fuel pressure

next step is to remove intake plenum and get access to fuel rail / injectors

Bench test/ clean all 6 injectors, replace faulty one if needed only use new/reman bosch 4 hole injector for your truck! no cheap aftermarket
Good time to replace intake plenum gaskets
Also replace all injector O rings and lube them before re seating fuel rail.

Youtube has excellent videos on how to bench test/ clean each injector with a can of carb cleaner, 12v power supply and a simple adapter made from a old tire rubber valve and some JB weld to the carb cleaner straw

Thanks Fellows. Things were fine till I ran the E85. perhaps just circumstance OR perhaps the "extra alcohol" clean stuff up and clogged an injector.
Needless..... Thanks for the input and it gives me a place to start.
ptf18

Yeah it might be a clogged injector. I recently also watched a YouTube video where the guy went through how to diagnose an injector problem and clean it with carb cleaner if it's just dirty. It's not to hard to do, but checking the plug wire, spark plug and compression is where I'd start, as doing those things is much easier to pulling the fuel rail and injector.

BTW - Unless it's a matter of fuel availability I don't know why people would chose to use E85. As I understand it, Ethanol is quite a bit less efficient that gasoline and should never be used in non-flex fuel vehicles. Personally I don't even like using 10% Ethanol gasoline, but that's what most gas stations carry these days.

Koda. Yeah. Fuel prices were going up here in the DFW area a month or so ago. Being that the truck is a Flex-Fuel I thought I'ld run a couple tanks of the stuff thru it. Mileage dropped as I expected and after doing some rough calculations for me its actually a penny ish more per mile to use E85. Don't remember the details exactly but Maybe 300 miles or so ago (using E85) I pulled off the Interstate to a drive-thru fast food place. Engine was running roughish and I ended up putting the truck in neutral while waiting for my order. The CEL came on after 3,4,5 minutes of idling. Then the CEL went out. I got back on the interstate and the truck ran find (about a 110 mile highway trip). Got home and scanned it. Had the PO306 code. Truck was idling fine at that time. Next day I was driving locally and got the CEL but it went out again after 30 seconds or so. When I got home and left the truck idle for 3,4,5 minutes. Scanned it. PO306. Cleared it and a week later I got the CEL again. AND again after maybe 30 seconds it went out.

But the idle is rougher than normal.

Truck seems to run fine on the highway but if I leave it idle for 3,45 minutes I get the CEL but it goes out after a few seconds (still sets a code though). I'm down to 1/2 tank of "real" gasoline and will check my MPG when I gas up.

Anyways. Thanks fellows for your input. Gives me a starting point.
ptf18

@ptf18 - As I'm sure you are aware, Ethanol sucks moister out of the air and that moister remains in a suspended state until there's enough water accumulates for it to fall out, then it sinks to the bottom of your tank. The water/moister is what ruins non-flex fuel engines because it corrodes the fuel system components. As I understand it, flex fuel vehicles use stainless steel fuel components to avoid this problem. IDK that's there is any other difference (ie nothing electronic) involved.

I wonder if maybe the E85 you bought had a high percentage of water in it? That might explain the multiple misfires that come and go. Perhaps your cylinder 6 is more susceptible to misfiring due to its spark plug, plug wire, or fuel injector being sub par? As all the fuel (E85 or gasoline) runs through the fuel filter I don't think any junk made it's way to FI #6, but it's odd that only cyl 6 is now being effected.

If you do have a little residue water in your tank that'ts still causing your problems you might try tossing in a bottle of Heet to see if makes any difference. If that doesn't help I guess you need to start looking at cyl 6 specifically.

This is a common issue on older high mileage vehicles after not running E85 and then running it. You’ve most likely plugged an injector as 410 stated. Might as well pull and clean them all.

MBrooks. Yeah... I pulled #6 plug. Looks great. Gap was mid-spec. I replaced all of them about <5k ago (have to check my log book) at the 200k mark.
Wires were changed.... not along time ago maybe <30k.

I only use MotorCraft parts so...

The station I used for the E85 is a well known, highly used 2nd tier station (local Race-Track) been using their fuel for years. Never had an issue but I doubt much E85 gets sold so Im leaning toward a "fuel issue".

Koda.... Yeah I'm aware of the alcohol/gasoline fuel "problems"....especially in "steel" fuel systems (lines, tanks, pumps, etc)... oh well...

I'm looking the engine over to pull the injectors. The engine is the Ford V6 "Vulcan" but they were used is so many different Ford products getting the correct gaskets/o-rings (the 1st time) is iffy. I want to have all my ducks in a row when I start this project and not have to "walk" to a parts store because of incorrect parts.

It'll all work out.

Thanks Fellows.

You definitely sound on top of it. I’m sure you’ll get it.

Here's a link to the video on cleaning fuel injectors I recently watched.

Fellows. Just a follow up. Ran a bottle of the super concentrate Techtron fuel additive thru a 1/2 tank of gasoline. When I got down to Empty I put another bottle of Techtron in the tank with only 1/2 tank refill.

All highway driving.

Truck purrrrrs like a kitten...now.

I'll "avoid" E85..... Must of been a bad "batch" of this "miricle fuel".

I picked up the orings and gaskets to pull the injectors.... just in case.....

Thanks,
ptf18

Glad to hear you got it straightened out.

Back