Looking for mod suggestions! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for mod suggestions!

nighthawk0067

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Limited V8 Slate
Hello everyone!

I've had my new 2010 Ex Limited (picture) Black Pearl Slate Metallic for about a month now and absolutely love it. I've had 3 other Ex's in the family, a 2004 EB, 2006 EB, and 2014 Sport and they all have been capable, comfy vehicles. I especially like the unique color, which sets it apart from most 4th gens.

But now the time has come for me to personalize mine a bit.
Here's a list of things I'd like to do, in no particular order:

-LED Running Light Accents (think range rover shape) & LED headlights - if you all have any suggestions for where to buy them, let me know!

-New rims - my dealer agreed to replace the existing ones since they were bent in a lot of places, but they've taken too long and are just going to give up the money for them ($200 apiece I believe)

-New tires - I currently have some crappy Yokohama all-seasons that it came with, but I'll probably swap them for larger winters or off road versions with bulkier tread.

-Black/dipped accents on the grille, mirrors, roof racks? - this one I'm a bit torn on since the car isn't a black paint and there already is a fair bit of chrome on it (mirrors, grille, roof racks, running boards, wheels, etc.). I must say though, I really like the STA grilles.

Let me know what you all think.
Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_20181004_172923718.jpg

IMG_20180910_164950138_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180919_194220880_HDR.jpg

For tires, you cant go wrong with BFG T/A KO2's. One of the more recognizable treads out there for a reason, they just plain work great in all terrains (well, other than the local mud pit) Snow, rain, dirt, forest roads, rocks, you name it. I wouldn't buy anything else. Start looking at tires in parking lots and at stoplights, you will see more KO2's than any other single type of tire...

The above light bar looks kinda silly. I would think light bouncing off the hood might be an issue? But if it works, i guess who cares how it looks...

Black accents look good on any color vehicle. Mines red and I eventually want to get rid of all the chrome, starting with the grill.

The above light bar looks kinda silly. I would think light bouncing off the hood might be an issue? But if it works, i guess who cares how it looks...

but!!!!!!! when you open the hood you can sent messages to the space station

That light bar would drive me nuts.

KO2 are good winter traction, but they are extremely stiff. They wear well, but don’t ride very well. There are other tires out there with equal traction, and a better ride. I’m going back to Grabber AT2s after my my BFGs wear out.

im poor and I have fallen in love with walmart douglas tires $82 and everyone has them in a pinch and goodyear makes them... I also drop down to 235/65/17 to save money and make the truck a hair lower

KO2 are good winter traction, but they are extremely stiff. They wear well, but don’t ride very well. There are other tires out there with equal traction, and a better ride. I’m going back to Grabber AT2s after my my BFGs wear out.

I hear that a lot, but thats because most people who are "in the know" end up getting the load range E tires, because they are tougher (more belts). The downside there is they ride like crap.
I always get the load range D tires. Sure they arent as "tough" as the load range E tires, but they are still a heck of a lot tougher than your "average" all terrain tire, plus they ride great!

Back