Looking for suggestions on how to cover these holes.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for suggestions on how to cover these holes....

Hey,

I am looking for suggestions on how to cover up the holes on my rocker panels without getting factory trim. I was thinking about vinyls or bedliner, but I am wondering how some of these things would look and work. I took the sidesteps off for off-road purposes and hate the sight of gaping holes.

DSCN3761.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some people use tape then paint herculiner over it.
Some people use those plastic push pin deals.

Try a search, htere are a few different ways that have been talked about. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Grind the paint off and weld 'em in.

Grind the paint off and weld 'em in.

haha, I would do that accept I suck at welding and it would probably end up looking better with the holes... :banghead:

I am looking for a less kamakaze approach but thanks. :D

I crossed this same bridge about a year ago. I sanded down the paint and applied two coats of bed liner on each side. The holes were still there, but you could only see them from up close. About six months after that I decided I liked the look better with them on, so I put em back on. I would reccomend leaving the holes for that reason. Good luck.

I actually have had this problem for a few weeks and yesterday I came up with a solution to half of it. I'm not sure what to do about the top row of holes, but I got under my truck and used a c-clamp (ghetto, I know) to bend the bottom layer of metal so it was horizontal. Now you can only see that layer if you get down low and close to the truck. It looks a lot better now. At least you don't have rusty rockers :(

I actually have had this problem for a few weeks and yesterday I came up with a solution to half of it. I'm not sure what to do about the top row of holes, but I got under my truck and used a c-clamp (ghetto, I know) to bend the bottom layer of metal so it was horizontal. Now you can only see that layer if you get down low and close to the truck. It looks a lot better now. At least you don't have rusty rockers :(
How about cutting fiberglass and just make a long patch over your whole rocker panel?

Good sir, you overestimate my abilities! I am but a mere 19-year old without access to any of this magical "fiberglass" you speak of. Though it does sound like a good way to fix this problem.

Also, question: I've noticed lots of Ex's that don't have any of the lower body moldings (or sidesteps in Technoboy's case) but lack the holes that I and Technoboy have in our trucks. What models/years came without the moldings?

I used the black plastic plugs. Looks good, kind of like rivets...

If I were painting the truck, or Herculining that section I would weld up the holes like James said.

Also, question: I've noticed lots of Ex's that don't have any of the lower body moldings (or sidesteps in Technoboy's case) but lack the holes that I and Technoboy have in our trucks. What models/years came without the moldings?

91 & 92 didn't come with the side steps or mouldings from the factory.

Mountaineergreen's fix linked above is a very good one. I went with the push-pins mentioned above. I'll see if I can dig up a few photos.

These should give you a good idea:

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

I don't understand. They go on the same way they go on with stock wheels. They just snap on over the lug nuts...

Ok, hmmm. I must have gotten the wrong type of caps. I picked some off a limited and painted them black. Turns out they have two different types of caps I guess.

where did you get the push pins?

I don't recall. I think online, but I don't remember the site. Could have also been home depot. Just measure the hole size (might be a half inch) and search for them online.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back