Looking to buy 2008, have questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy 2008, have questions

Sonic-Boom

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
-
Hi all
I am looking at buying a truck and came across a 2008 Sport trac limited. I am quite interested and like it. It has 77K miles and looks pretty clean nice. Its at a dealer asking $15K. It seems to be on the high side. Just wanted to know what I should specifically look at before buying. Any issues I should check for and what you guys think about the price.

Thanks

45014910_10102024981193741_7205950946449293312_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Sonic-Boom and welcome to the forum
A few questions then some suggestions.
Is it a rear wheel drive, AWD or $WD?
Is it Dual Automatic Temp control of manual?
It appears to be a V6?
Check under the truck and look for rust, particularly body rust.
Look at all the axle seals and drive shaft seals including the trans and transfer case if there is one. Look for dark oil leaks or stains around the seals.
Turn the temp control knob or buttons depending what AC it has and make sure the blend door actuator(s) is/are actuating.
Ask some questions about how old the spark plugs are, the dealer won't have any answers for you so you should insist the dealer pay for a spark plug replacement. They're especially difficult on the V6 engines.
If the dealer doesn't have the door lock/unlock code have them pay to get it from the local Ford dealer. The Ford dealer will charge you for this service.
Look the interior over very closely.
And lastly get a CarFax to check out what you can of the trucks history.
I bought my 09 Adrenalin in June and paid $16,000. I bought it from a dealer in Idaho and the salesman wouldn't have know the truth if you pointed it our to him
Good luck and have fun.
Kent

Thanks for your reply Senior,
After looking at it today, it is 2WD. This is very disappointing to me, I guess I assumed it had to be 4WD based on price they are asking.
Yes it is the V6, seems to have the auto temp control. Everything seems to be good on this truck. the 2WD isn't a necessity, but the price seems absolutely too much without, like laughably high.

I guess you have to decide what you want. I only looked at V8 Adrenalins with DATC and AWD or 4WD so it narrowed my search quite a bit. Just do your home work and know what you are buying then go in with your eyes wide open.
If you are not too fussy there are hundreds of Sport Tracs out there for sale. You might need to travel a bit.
Remember you are in control of your money not some lying salesman. :dpchug:

Back