• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy a 2017 Explorer

wellcraft

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Hi guys and gals, I'm considering to upgrade from a sport sedan back to a suv and the 2017 explorer is on top of my list and was wondering what should I look for and what should I be aware of?
The one I like is the XLT with sport appearance in black, I don't like much with the black wheels but I guess I can deal with it. My sedond option is white but I don't know yet if they offer the one with sports appearance in plain white, not the white tricote or whatever they call it as i dont want to deal with color match in the event i need to do any retouch.

I have heard there is an issue with rotten egg smell inside the cabin that has to do with exhaust fumes, is this still a problem with the 2017?
Anything else i should know?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the links I provided in this post; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/looking-at-an-11-xlt.467283/
The rotten egg smell is a sulphur smell usually produced by the catalytic convertor. There s also the exhaust smell under hard acceleration; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ell-in-cabin-during-hard-acceleration.323597/
I had a 2011 Explorer and now a 2017 and have not had this problem with either of them.
It would be a good idea to browse through the 5th gen sub forums to see what issues there may be.

Peter

Honestly.. read through the first 3-4 pages and understand that the majority of owners don t have the issues you read about on here BUT there is always a possibility.

My 2011 has 118k and after the initial TSBs from the first couple years performed, it has been excellent.

I have an XLT in shadow black with sport appearance. Looks pretty badass.
You can certainly get sport appearance on any body colour - just try out the build & price tool on the Ford website and you can see what changes in terms of trim pieces etc.
In my opinion, if you switch out the wheels for something lighter in colour, it might look funny on an all-black vehicle.

I believe the XLT "Appearance" package can be added to any coloured Explorer.

Peter

I have an XLT in shadow black with sport appearance. Looks pretty badass.
You can certainly get sport appearance on any body colour - just try out the build & price tool on the Ford website and you can see what changes in terms of trim pieces etc.
In my opinion, if you switch out the wheels for something lighter in colour, it might look funny on an all-black vehicle.

That’s basically a black sport. Sort of light wheels with the polished face. Blacked out car on silver wheels looks good. Granted, as soon as my winter wheels show up, I’m going to send my stock sport wheels to powdercoat.

Just head to dealer toward the end of the months. They’ll be looking to cut a deal to make room for the 18s showing up. Make sure to get the car in the highway and stomp on it to check for exhaust in cabin issue.

I just bought a new one on Sunday. Drove it around fairly aggressively last night (not WOT since not broken in yet) and no smells / fumes so far.

My new 2017 has the exhaust problem once you push the RPM's.

We have a 2017 2.3 EB XLT and have run up the rpms and boost into the 13+ range and have not experienced any exhaust smells or known CO effects in the 9 months we've owned it. My wife drives it daily and she does not have a "light" foot :laugh:. Maybe the exhaust smells and CO issues are relegated to the 3.5 engines:dunno: or we got lucky.

Whimsey

I also have the 2.3. Only difference is mine is a Limited.

Ok, well model differences sure will not make any differences with the same engine for the Explorer. I know sometimes different brands of gasoline, we us top tier Shell mainly, will produce different exhaust smells. But it still should not get into your vehicle if it's coming from your exhaust. Even though my wife has a lead foot she still does not run WOT, she'll just keep running part throttle to get it into the upper rpms to build up speed. I don't know if that makes a difference or how you operate your 2.3. I'd like to hear how you make out from Ford.

Whimsey

Going in for the first part of the TSB next week.

Going in for the first part of the TSB next week.
Good luck! I'd love to know how you make out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all works well for you.

Whimsey

The rotten egg smell is the Cat over temp protection in the cars fueling table kicking in. Thats normal. The idea is that under heavy load/high RPMS, the car will run the air/fuel mixture very rich to throw excess fuel at the catalytic converter(s) to keep them cool and from burning up with the high heat. In modern sports cars like the newest mustang, this is normal and its present in the stock tune. I just traded in my 17 Mustang GT auto for my explorer and it would go from 11.5 A/F to a fat 10.0 in third gear at wide open throttle. This is NORMAL. The factory is doing this to protect the cat. The byproduct of this is the smell of the fuel burning up as its going through the hot catalytic converter.

Sorry to burst bubbles. Just google Cat over temp protection or COT.

Aftermarket tuners will often adjust air/fuel ratios throughout the RPM range for your given vehicle. And this is one thing that is usually disabled so they can get a steady 12.0 or 12.5 a/f from start to finish. Then they can advance your engine timing and make some real power. So please dont take your car in for this. Its doubtful that even your average Ford tech would understand anything about engine fueling calibrations.

Welcome to the Forum Vet Rider.:wave:

Peter

Good luck! I'd love to know how you make out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all works well for you.

Whimsey

Had the TSB performed on my new 2017 Explorer Limited and the issue appears to be resolved. Ran it wide open leaving the Ford parking lot. My work order says the following:

"CUST STATES NOTICES EXHAUSE FUMES INSIDE VEHICLE ON HARD ACCELERATIONS, VERIFIED CONCERN, PERFORMED RECALL 17NO3B, INSPECTED AND INSTALLED MASTIS PATCHES AND REPROGRAMMED HVAC, VERIFIED REPAIR, TESTED OK"

I'll continue to monitor, but hopefully this fixed it.

Good to hear, thanks for letting me know. I guess we don't drive at wot to get the exhaust smell or we got lucky.

Whimsey

Had the TSB performed on my new 2017 Explorer Limited and the issue appears to be resolved. Ran it wide open leaving the Ford parking lot. My work order says the following:

"CUST STATES NOTICES EXHAUSE FUMES INSIDE VEHICLE ON HARD ACCELERATIONS, VERIFIED CONCERN, PERFORMED RECALL 17NO3B, INSPECTED AND INSTALLED MASTIS PATCHES AND REPROGRAMMED HVAC, VERIFIED REPAIR, TESTED OK"

I'll continue to monitor, but hopefully this fixed it.
You do understand that the exhaust fumes are still there right. Nothing has changed except they sealed up some parts of the under body. And as I said before, the fumes you are smelling are not carbon monoxide. You are smelling the cats burning off unburnt gas. This is not an abnormal event. Its being confused by the issue of the police cruisers letting in excess carbon monoxide from the exhaust because of extra holes put into the body from installing police service equipment.

These two events are completely unrelated. Your dealer completing this recall on your car was completely unnecessary. But hey glad you have your piece of mind. But do another hard acceleration with the windows down and you will smell it the same. Again research cat over temp protection and you will see why this is happening.

You do understand that the exhaust fumes are still there right. Nothing has changed except they sealed up some parts of the under body. And as I said before, the fumes you are smelling are not carbon monoxide. You are smelling the cats burning off unburnt gas. This is not an abnormal event. Its being confused by the issue of the police cruisers letting in excess carbon monoxide from the exhaust because of extra holes put into the body from installing police service equipment.

These two events are completely unrelated. Your dealer completing this recall on your car was completely unnecessary. But hey glad you have your piece of mind. But do another hard acceleration with the windows down and you will smell it the same. Again research cat over temp protection and you will see why this is happening.

Besides my previous Explorer, I've never had a vehicle emit a burnt smell in the cabin upon a hard acceleration. I don't think this is normal. The fumes may still be there outside the vehicle, which is fine. If performing the recall stopped those fumes from entering the cabin I'm glad I did it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep in mind, the rotten egg smell issue and the exhaust smell issue are different issues on this vehicle.

Back