Looking to buy a 4th gen. Do any 4.0s exist without the timing chain rattle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy a 4th gen. Do any 4.0s exist without the timing chain rattle?

doug625

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS, 2007 XLT
So does every 4.0 liter have the timing chain rattle at start up? Looked at a few recently and they all have it, even one with only 65,000 miles on it. I still own a 2002 and it's had the rattle since around 80,000 at startup and low rpms under a load, I'm at 202,000 now but I'd prefer one without the rattle if they exist.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is how I fixed mine works like a charm

im at 138k on my 2010 4.0 with no timing chain rattle... I course the reason im selling it is becuase I have had everything EXCEPT the timing chain rattle so far, so I know thats next.....

OP, there's two answers to your question.

"NO, and almost". LOL

Remember the slogan for that popular drink made with vegetables?

"Shoulda had a V8!"

I too have a 4.0 Explorer. Never again.

Look around at every one you can find...surely there's one somewhere that's fine.

That joke is getting old

OP, there's two answers to your question.

"NO, and almost". LOL

Remember the slogan for that popular drink made with vegetables?

"Shoulda had a V8!"

I too have a 4.0 Explorer. Never again.

Look around at every one you can find...surely there's one somewhere that's fine.
Yeah, trust me, my 3rd gen is the first vehicle I've ever owned that wasn't a v8, it sure doesn't sound good with the flowmaster lol I'm looking for the 4.6 but they are hard to find but I might hold out till I find one.

I would definitely recommend to anyone who asks to NOT buy an explorer.
But, for those determined to punish themselves, DO NOT buy a 4.0 explorer.....

This is how I fixed mine works like a charm

Yes what they said. I put one on my Explorer loving it.

IMAG0668.jpg

I had to look this up and hear the sound. I can honestly say no. No timing chain rattle. I think last peak at mileage was just over 139,000 miles. Now you give me something else to think about.

I have had at 10 year mark, radiator change, suspension work, thermostat housing replaced twice (going metal), computer brain replaced, EGR replaced, harmonic balancer replaced. Now think it is time for valve cover gasket replacement. Probably forgot some things.

But now it sounds bad since I see it in writing. My dad has a 2004 Chevy Malibu classic and has no major repairs done besides brakes and over 200,000 miles on it and he works that car pretty hard even now.

I love my Ford baby though and it will be hard to part ways.

haha, that doesn't sound too bad at all for 10 years of ownership. In the 3 years I have had mine (2.5 years of driving it, plus the last 6 months I have been trying to sell it so its been sitting, because I am afraid if I drive it something else will break) I have rebuilt the transmission, replaced the A\C system, twice, replaced oh so many swaybar links, both front bearings, one front CV, The rear differential, and most recently, the brake lock sensor thing that keeps you from taking it out of park unless you are stepping on the brake.. Im pretty sure im forgetting some things too....

I must have got lucky with my 2002, bought it with 60,000 and it already had the broken coils in the rear but since then I've only replaced the alternator and a couple of wheel bearings and I'm now at 202,000.

:snicker:
I would definitely recommend to anyone who asks to NOT buy an explorer.
But, for those determined to punish themselves, DO NOT buy a 4.0 explorer.....
What a statement to make on a explorer enthusiast forum sad

Supposed to go look at an 06 4.6l tomorrow but I'm pretty sure this is a red flag. Of course it could be a minor fix but shouldn't the time display at least illuminated on the radio?

Screenshot_20191121-152116_Chrome.jpg

Radios can be replaced. Does it run and drive and no CEL lights, need suspension parts replaced, or has been beaten to ****?

(I can't say about the radio, mine had an aftermarket unit in when I bought it..)

Radios can be replaced. Does it run and drive and no CEL lights, need suspension parts replaced, or has been beaten to ****?

(I can't say about the radio, mine had an aftermarket unit in when I bought it..)
It's not the radio I'm worried about, I'm just thinking most reputable dealerships would have probably fixed that before putting the car on their lot, so I'm wondering if they've gone over anything at all with the vehicle. Maybe I'm just trying to avoid driving 2 hours to look at it and that red flag was enough to pass on it.

Call 'em and ask about it? If the mileage is acceptable, there's no rust, and it's been maintained, I wouldn't let a radio be a point of contention. Usually mine get aftermarket stuff in the audio area, anyway...then again, I'm not you, so I'm not judging.

Still, a nicer 4.6 Explorer isn't all that common. ;)

122,000 miles looks clean from every angle, but looks like some water damage on the dash and seats...maybe somebody left the sunroof open at some time. It probably is worth at least a test drive.

20191122_024313.jpg

Looks pretty nice on the outside. Might be worth a closer look...I say go for it if the round trip isn't an issue..

Yeah, trust me, my 3rd gen is the first vehicle I've ever owned that wasn't a v8, it sure doesn't sound good with the flowmaster lol I'm looking for the 4.6 but they are hard to find but I might hold out till I find one.

There are two reasons to buy a V8 4th generation Explorer/Mountaineer. The first is the 4.6L engines are darn near bullet proof if they are properly maintained. The second, and almost as important, is the 4th gen V8s come with the six speed transmission where the 4.0Ls have the five speed. IMO, the six speed transmission is much more reliable than the five speed.

I recently replaced my 3rd gen V8 Explorer (2002) with a 4th gen V8 Mountaineer (2010). It took me about 2-3 months to find a decent V8 model but they are out there to find. While looking I came across many V8 models that had 50k-80k miles on them. The reason I passed on quite a few of them is they lived their lives in areas where the roads were salted heavily and I have seen too many of these vehicles have issues with this as the years and miles roll up. I ended up finding one locally that had two owners and was a Maryland car. It also had a good Carfax record showing a lot of regular maintenance done over its lifetime. My point is that V8 models are out there if you are patient in looking for one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are two reasons to buy a V8 4th generation Explorer/Mountaineer. The first is the 4.6L engines are darn near bullet proof if they are properly maintained. The second, and almost as important, is the 4th gen V8s come with the six speed transmission where the 4.0Ls have the five speed. IMO, the six speed transmission is much more reliable than the five speed.

I recently replaced my 3rd gen V8 Explorer (2002) with a 4th gen V8 Mountaineer (2010). It took me about 2-3 months to find a decent V8 model but they are out there to find. While looking I came across many V8 models that had 50k-80k miles on them. The reason I passed on quite a few of them is they lived their lives in areas where the roads were salted heavily and I have seen too many of these vehicles have issues with this as the years and miles roll up. I ended up finding one locally that had two owners and was a Maryland car. It also had a good Carfax record showing a lot of regular maintenance done over its lifetime. My point is that V8 models are out there if you are patient in looking for one.
Thanks, I've decided if I do get a 4th gen it will have to be a 4.6. I'm considering a 5th gen but prefer a full frame 4th gen if I can find a clean one. I test drove an 08 Eddie bauer 4.0 with 98,000 miles on it yesterday and couldn't wait to back in my 2002 with 203,000 on it, mine rides like a new car compared to what I've tested lately.The pickens are slim.

Back